Dracthyr - Soar (Needs CD Reduction)

1. I am advocating making it full dragonriding, including using the vigor resource, so skill would still be a factor.
  2. So what? What competitive content takes place in Kalimdor or the Eastern Kingdoms? Who cares that a race can fly faster in irrelevant, outdated content?
  3. They are limited to one per realm, and can only be one class. So the fact that Dracthyr can soar does not, for example, make Tauren obsolete, because they cannot be Warriors, or Death Knights, or Hunters, so there’s no argument that you’d “have to” make your Paladin a Dracthyr because the racial is too good … You already have to make your Evoker a Dracthyr because that’s the only option, and you can’t make Dracthyr anything else.
  4. Dragonriding is super fast, but it’s basically useless for gathering and has a cast time, making it weaker than Druid flight for anything even remotely competitive (including gold/mat farming).

So … I still don’t get what the problem is. Replace the cooldown with the full vigor mechanics, and we’re good to go. :+1:

15 Likes

Druid flying is already unfair to everyone else, and that’s been in the game since TBC (where they also got to train it for massively less gold than everyone else). Keep in mind that Dracthyr are not a normal race: they are a race that is also a class. If Blizzard opens the race up to additional class options, then yes, the racials will need to be revisited because they would be too good, and there would be no reason to play anything else. Until then, why not use the fact that it is a race/class combo to do something cool and fun that could not be done if it was a normal race?

3 Likes

It’s actually harder to make good use of now without the vigor mechanics because the vigor recharges at a reasonable speed, meanwhile you only get 2 charges of a forward boost, and 1 charge of an upward boost as it is now.

The point is that blizzard doesn’t want players to feel bad because they’re not playing a certain race/class. Regular flying compared to dragonriding is a snails pace.

See above

It’s not useless when you can book it to each node with incredible speed, and also see them further away with a different racial.

I agree, why does this make something even more unfair justified?

1 Like

“Whoa there Dracthyr, you’re going to need a permit to use those wings of yours in our skies!”

7 Likes

This is why we can’t have nice things. All of your objections are valid.

However, I still don’t see the problem. So what if I can mine ore in Northrend twice as fast as a Druid? (I don’t think that’s actually true, but that’s beside the point.) Even still, it is an advantage in farming old, outdated content that has a very limited range of actual usefulness. It is not an advantage in any kind of current or competitive content.

And again, it is an example of clipping the wings (literally) of a feature that could be tremendously fun because it might, in niche cases, give an advantage in outdated, depreciated content that hardly anyone ever uses anymore.

At some point, can we just let fun things be fun?

5 Likes

Things can be fun, i’m just trying to remain within the realm of reason with my requests. Do i think having soar everywhere would be fun? Yes. Do i think they’d ever go for that? No, not really, and i understand why that is.

So i come in with the attitude of compromise. Right now, it would be within the realm of reason to just ask for it to have no cooldown in dragonflight areas. The next level up would be to ask for it to work off the vigor system like the mounts.

Having it have no cooldown everywhere would be what i asked for if they brought dragonriding to the rest of the world, so everyone could use it.

It’s like negotiation, you don’t lay out all your hopes and dreams on the table right away. Start small, inch forward. Because if you can’t get them to agree to a small thing, there’s no way they’ll go for the whole package.

1 Like

Only thing I can figure, is Blizzard wants the ACTUAL customizable “Dragonriding” mounts to be special and feel rewarding to unlock new customization options over time. Which I totally get. I would probably just say, when you’re IN the Dragon Isles, then “Soar” becomes a full-fledged “Dragonriding mount”. And when you’re NOT in the Dragon Isles… well, THEN you can maybe keep the 5 min cooldown.

But I would rather see the cooldown start when you CAST the ability, so if you travel a long ways but accidentally touch ground, you aren’t suddenly stuck with JUST starting said cooldown. But maybe that’s just me.

6 Likes

Seconded

I already thought it WAS the normal mount option for them, at will.
Learning it has a CD is… disappointing.

13 Likes

Well if we can’t have unlimited Soar, then give us a normal flying form. Basically, like Worgen’s Running Wild, but 310% flying instead.

6 Likes

Fair enough. I guess I’m just hopeful if people push for it enough and explain the reasons why, they might actually consider it. They seem at least a little more open to feedback and fun these days. :man_shrugging:

I think full dragonriding in the new zones and a reduced cooldown (1.5-3 minutes) elsewhere would be fine if they won’t go for no cooldown. But I do think 5 minutes is excessive, even in the old world, so I’d like to see a reduction at least.

That’s another compromise that would be acceptable.

8 Likes

This.
Dracthyr already have all of the animations for it, including backwards flying.

8 Likes

Bump, I want no CD on Soar and/or normal flying with our Dracthyr form, thanks.

7 Likes

If Soar keeps a CD then I think its options should be: 1min, 1.5 or 2min. Anything more is excessive for what can currently be done with it. Though I will add if they bring the vigor system to it, 3 mins (at maximum) would be fine imho.

I agree with the people saying that the CD should start from casting the skill. I think this would be fine.

Regardless of what happens with Soar - Dracthyr should absolutely be able to opt for regular flying. Just make it a learnable skill or something please!

7 Likes

Yep the CD is a joke, completely ruins immersion. Apparently we are weak little baby dragons that need to rest our wings all the time.

13 Likes

Apart from minor cosmetic issues, visage choices being limited, and lack of a tank spec, this is the only other big bummer with Dracthyr left imo.

Removing CD would be harmless.

Make it not able to be cast in combat, give it the full fledged mechanics from dragon riding, it’s functionally no different from a class specific mount at that point and that’s fun and fine.

12 Likes

It already can’t be cast in combat at the moment

7 Likes

Is the glide mechanic on that cd?

1 Like

Nah, you can glide around all you want, just like a DH can. It’s just Soar that has the really annoying CD.

3 Likes

Ok got it, thanks

1 Like

apparently none of you “15-30 second cooldown plz” people play battlegrounds like Arathi where being able to soar from Lumber Mill to Mines or anywhere else on the map would be pretty dang strong.