Downvoting was a better solution than flagging posts

Title­­­­­

23 Likes

Agreed. Hivemind censorship is super lame.

9 Likes

I would rather see them have a down vote than having to waste the mods time of unflagging a post.

4 Likes

It was working exactly how it should have worked, so they removed it.

13 Likes

I think the idea was that people left dislikes instead of talking about things

1 Like

Both options are equally worthless.

3 Likes

Having a dislike button isn’t going to stop someone from falsely flagging a thread.

1 Like

I dunno, flagging wasn’t a real issue before downvoting got taken away

Yes it was. People would downvote an opinion they disagreed with (which makes sense to do given all the other platforms for it - whereas the purpose of it was to flag trolling posts, etc) as Wild stated.

This would hide an unpopular idea even if it didn’t break the forum CoC.

yeah but I’d rather be downvoted than have a mod decide if they wanted to ban me or not

5 Likes

The unnecessary thing about dislikes was that it buried the post similar to how excessive flags work now. Probably would have been alright if they only removed the bury action.

6 Likes

Not a fan of flagging myself. Not sure about down votes either though. Does that bury the thread like it does on some other sites?

Edit, sorry Didn’t see the post above. In that case I much prefer civil discourse on disagreements. Conversation is a great compliment to a nice drink.

Yes if only that was possible.

Buried the downvoted post, not necessarily the thread.

People always talk about false flagging and burying posts and whatnot but, I can’t say i’ve really seen it in my time on these forums. Unless we’re counting things like flagging obvious troll threads as flag abuse.

1 Like

I have seen it, but it isn’t as prominent nowadays.

I had a couple of mine flagged last year and then unflagged (something about getting new customisation options for Tauren).

Nothing was hidden. Everything could be read with one click, and most people did click through to see if they agreed with the reasons it had been downvoted.

So being “hidden” got a post more reads than if it hadn’t been.

Most of the people who complain about “false flagging” are repeat offenders who spam post flamebait threads and inflammatory responses.

2 Likes

I think people had more of an issue that their posts were ‘hidden’ from the down votes… I think they should have the down votes but let the post stay visible.

1 Like

I would review what you’ve said below

You do understand that you’re doing the same thing that you’re accusing them of.

There’s always reddit

2 Likes