Don't understand why they didn't just implement class specific corrup

Instead of dealing with tentacles that mind flay you or random one shots from infinite stars, why couldn’t they have just established class or spec specific corruption effects, with spec specific ones easier to obtain (entry level ones through BGs or skirmishes while higher ilvl gear w/ effects through conquest capping). I personally don’t mind the stat % corruption effects, but the others are just a hassle to play around.

Not only will there be more incentive to get certain traits that help you play your spec the way you want to play, but this will eliminate the idea of a particular corrupt. effect being the most optimal across all classes. Focusing on increasing class skill cap while maintaining mechanical depth to classes would have been the best way to approach the concept of corruption imo. Seeing the damage breakdown for classes where these corruption effects do a LOT more damage then your primary class abilities is completely disheartening.

1 Like

Because some classes would have borderline retarded corruptions (probably Mage, Rogue, Warlock, DK) while others would have terrible ones.

Why can’t we just remove corruption and boost everybody’s actual damage?

6 Likes

u basically saying legion legendary would be better?

Prob shoulda supplemented my post with a few examples. But the idea I was coming at was behind the concept of corrpt effects bolstering main class abilities. But anyways, here are a few examples I had in mind for the class specific ones.

Warlocks: Using shadowfury on a target increases mastery by X amount for 10 seconds.

Mages: Applying frost nova on a target has a high chance of granting the user with a primary stat increase for X seconds.

Rogues: Finisher abilities have a chance of granting the user with a buff that increases the effectiveness of their next finisher by 15%.

As for spec specific:

Sub rogues: During shadow dance, your primary stat is increased by 500.

Balance druids: Astral power generating abilities have a low chance of granting a buff to the user which increases the damage of their next starsurge by 30%.

Or another effect could be that moonfire/sunfire crits have a chance to make the user’s next regrowth cast instant and heal for 15% more.

Shadow priest: During void form, your PW:shield’s effectiveness is increased by a certain amount.
Or
VT damage ticks have a chance of granting the user with a buff that increases the damage of instant cast abilities by 20% for 10 seconds.

I dont see how things like these can be more toxic or less skill promoting compared to some of stuff we currently have.

Sounds like pvp set bonuses

Which everyone loved but

?

8 Likes

yup they gone for good

Gone for good™

Yeah pretty much, but it has been clear that we won’t be getting any of those this xpac so atleast why not try to integrate a concept like that into the corruption system.

Because this would take more development time, and it’s obvious 8.3 was rushed.

2 Likes

Think its fair to say that this whole expansion was rushed. Not one enjoyable aspect was identified pertaining to PvP since the launch of BFA.

Class specific corruptions would just slingshot the top tier classes even further and most likely leave the D tier classes behind. Corruption overall is just bad and I don’t think developers have the mental capacity to even make balanced class specific ones.

Because people really dislike good things gated behind pvp. There was literally 1 skin on every artifact weapon gated behind pvp and people went crazy.

Passive effects are the exact opposite of mechanical depth though lol. if youre talking about things that can spice up a rotation well 1. A class would become completely dependent on the RNG to get that to perform at top logs and 2. Why not just implement that baseline?

This is similar to Archi trinkets in 7.3. If you weren’t lucky enough to get a trinket on Moonkin that gave you a free starfall when you starsurged you simply just lose coz RNG says to

This too.

8.3 isn’t linear to the story and also hardly any feedback was taken during PTR.

I only mentioned passive effects within my examples since they were easier to come up with. I mean certain passive effects still promote mechanical depth for classes if you know how to properly utilize them in situations. I’d also love to have active abilities incorporated, however we know that its not a realisitc outcome with the development crew we have at Blizz.

I was speaking relative to what Blizz is capable of doing these days. Rather than having dumb corruption effects like the ones I mentioned in my original post, I’d rather have more fine tuned passives specified to classes or specs (sort of like Legion lengendaries or PvP set bonuses). Atleast things like these improve the health of the game within the PvP sector rather than destroy it slowly until they eventually get hotfixed.

So basically you want legendaries back?

Tbh more like PvP set bonuses. But the effects that legendaries gave substituted for some of the corruption effects that are obnoxious to face rn is something I definitely wouldnt mind.

E.g. Anything in the past?
Artifact weapons were horrible for this reason. You got all this passive stuff that didn’t do anything but increase your DPS/HPS and you didn’t have to think about doing anything extra, it was just there buffing normal rotations.

Why was this post flagged holy crap, he just said what everyone is thinking out loud.

2 Likes

Artifact weapon/progression on trees felt very analogous to talent trees and felt sort of rewarding when looked on the bright side. Although none of it had active abilities tied to it, it still gave an interesting progression system that made your character feel more powerful as you procured artifact traits. Not saying this comes remotely close to being the ideal system that brings joy to every player, but if it had active abilities integrated into the system I’m sure it would have been much more engaging.

I’m still a bit confused if you are defending the corruption system or just providing your personal insight on a general approach that the game should take in the future.

Why is this flagged as hidden when it is the most clear headed analysis seen on this forum in a long time?

3 Likes

After Legion S1 you sorta got full artifact tree from a few WQ with the account bound knowledge. I don’t see anything progressive or the feeling of reward in that.

No I don’t defend corruption.