Domination shard system is killing 9.1 raiding

Domination shard RNG is destroying the game.

Good players who were routinely Parsing orange and above in 9.0 are suddenly getting benched by mediocre players who got lucky with domination set bonus.

Not exaggerating but raidbots is showing an almost 1k dps sim difference between someone with a unholy bane set vs someone who has none. You need to account that the person with the unholy bane set also upgrades his shards.

What’s the use of guaranteed shard drop from Sylvanas when groups don’t even take players who don’t have full shard bonus ?

So for the unfortunate player, you can go weeks and or months with domination shard bonus either because you are unlucky with shard drop or gear drop.

This leads to a stupid domino effect with the best players getting benched and quitting. Guilds unable to fill rosters and progress getting disbanded.

Pretty much the sorry state we see now in 9.1

26 Likes

Not much different than legion legendary rng or bfa corruption rng before you could purchase them. It seems that your real issue is not patch related and more wow related. Don’t play the game bro.

7 Likes

Well …. And you thought they would learn from the system?

My guild had a 9.0 realm 1raider rage quit because he was unable to get a domination helm to socket his unholy bane after 3 weeks of hard grinding

8 Likes

So that thing we’ve been telling them not to do for like 6 years now?

47 Likes

They basically introduced tier sets once again. At least with legion legendaries and bfa azerite and corruption, you could obtain them outside of raids. Now the whole system is exclusive.

8 Likes

Both of which were universally reviled.

Legion legendary RNG utterly killed that expansion for me and the BFA Corruption system was even more despised than the awful Titanforging system that preceded it.

17 Likes

Sounds a lot like people not being able to get their raid tier set bonus quickly when others did.

1 Like

Well, Blizzard seems satisfied with everything related to Shadowlands.
And despite all the feedback that this isn’t something players appreciated, Auntie Blizz will just move on, believing that either players will learn to like this model or they’ll give up complaining and submit to Blizzard’s idea of ​​viability.

Resistence is futile. You are Assimilate.

6 Likes

False. There were a lot of fans of corruption who posted here constantly asking for better vendor access. And while I thought corruption was bad for the game and as a casual quite sensibly refused to use the tainted gear I was showered with, I could see their point. It was intended to “help” elites have fun in the content drought.

And legendaries were anything but “universally reviled”. Oh, elites would throw tantrums and whine that their raid leaders were forcing them to reroll in their heroic guild because they had the wrong legendary and run LFR for a chance at another one. But people who actually played the game enough got all the legendaries. There were lots of players who collected them.

2 Likes

They should just go back to simple design with tier sets…and then add legendary quests to the game over time like they used to back in the days (not the random legion drops). More like the Cataclysm legendary quests, or vanilla legendaries. These new items/powers are being treated like common blues nowadays lol

when you got Tyragosa’s rest you felt like you actually earned a legendary…or if a player got atiesh, it was like a group effort where everyone on your raid team remembers it. Completing Thunderfury was like a W for your entire guild…That’s the impact legendary items should have on players. It sucks newer people are missing out on those types of things, and these legendary items have no lasting effect on anyone.

btw high end raiders are saying the domination system could be the worst system they’ve ever implemented. i think this fail of a system is going to overshadow what I consider to be an amazing raid…too bad

Dev issue for sure

11 Likes

Except that the entire system was unfair and rewarded neither effort or skill.

A dedicated player who grinded every boss possible for hours a week could have no domination shard set for months.

A casual player could get 3 unholy shards and gear straight in week 1 of LFR without ever doing Normal/Heroic/Mythic.

How fun is that?

2 Likes

Oh wow,domination shards are destroying raiders on the very thing they are trying to get. I don’t really know if that is good or bad at this moment in time,considering they raider are just like everyone should suffer the rng.

Example,5 of the same darn shoulders.

2 Likes

But…remember…after that player got the legendary, with the help of the entire guild, he often found himself a better guild that was looking for a player who already had the legendary, without their guild having to work on it.

There is no perfect system.

6 Likes

lol that never happened on our server, and i’m sure that only happened once or twice like ever. besides what you’re describing is a community/player issue - not an issue with the “system”.

Way better than having a dev issue affect the game like domination shards do imo.

9 Likes

Eventually. In like 7.2 or 7.3. But if you were raiding you were handicapped if you didn’t have your select few actually good ones. I mained a Frost DK throughout Nighthold and never, ever got Perseverance of the Ebon Martyr even though it was easily the spec’s strongest legendary by a huge margin, and when I inevitably had to swap to Unholy for Tomb of Sargeras my BiS shoulders were the last legendary I ever got, period, which I ended up getting the week before the end of the tier and the start of Antorus.

I did every LFR wing and Normal/Heroic of every available raid on several occasions, turned in virtually all of my Emissaries and was constantly turning in paragon rep boxes as well, constantly farming the Nether Disruptor mobs to farm Legionfall supplies to turn in to get more potential legendaries until I was capped on those mobs, and was constantly doing M+ as well, yet I still didn’t get my BiS Unholy legendary until the very end of Tomb of Sargeras.

Don’t you dare use the “well if you actually played the game” logic against me. There were only a few legendaries that were good, they were constantly being nerfed or buffed, and the bad ones were laughably bad.

12 Likes

You gotta love when the 4 legendary soft-cap existed and some poor souls did literally hundreds of Maw of Souls runs to only get 4 of the bottom tier legendaries.

The only people who “liked” launch legendaries or corruptions were the contrarians whose sole purpose for existing is to smugly reply “not EVERYONE dislikes this thing”.

5 Likes

When a normal plate helmet dropped lots of people wanted it for the bane set I had six figure offers to sell it since it wasn’t an upgrade for me

This could only reasonably occur in bleeding edge guilds. By the time it’s relevant to the overwhelming majority of raiders, people will have already gotten the bonuses. 10/10H was achieveable week 1 off of just ilvl 226-230 and no set bonuses. They’re much more relevant for Mythic SoD, and heroic guilds will hit the skill wall before the gear bridges their gap.

Most players will have their sets completed soon.

1 Like

With dwindling servers, many guilds disband and players flock to the few remaining surviving guilds.

After 3 weeks of heroic farm, guilds will be starting Mythic Raiding.

35 players being cut down to a roster of 20. Who do you think gets to be in that 20?

So for example you have 5 hunters and you can only take 2 into the 20man raid. Will you take the 2 who have unholy shard bonus or the 3 who does not? We are talking about 15% damage difference from having set vs not having set btw. It’s HUGE.

And after farming 3/10M, that 2 players who got lucky with Domination shards are now even higher ilevel than those who did not. The gap further widens…
It’s not hard to see how Domination shard destroys the game.

5 Likes

Then what is the solution? buff the other shards so everyone in other specs can be picked? I do believe it’s too late to do anything with that except get rid of it or add something else to the mix .