Does the Horde intend to continue war against the Alliance?

oh, see I thought you brought the war of 1812 into this because, if your enemy threatens you, you burn their big fancy house to the ground… in that case, the Horde is fine,

The war of 1812 is actually a great comparison to the War of Thorns.

4 Likes

I actually brought it up as an example of how the US Federal Government didn’t historically have the kind of power it does today. This was in response to Baal bringing up the Mexican-American war, which was itself in response to the question of what the Horde should do in the event that one of its members goes rogue.

The Mexican-American war’s best WoW comparison is actually probably vanilla WoW when the Horde admitted the Forsaken and the Forsaken immediately invaded like 3 of its neighbors as part of the Horde and the Horde just went with it because they wanted territory in the Eastern Kingdoms.

1 Like

but British settlers responding to an act of aggression with the destruction of American property is exactly why the burning of Teldrassil was a fair act of war. The target in that case was the central hub of the enemies power, Teldrassil was the central hub and last remaining power on Kalimdor. The Night Elves were moving forces to Faralas to engage Horde forces to secure a resource. And the Horde gave civilians a chance to evacuate, they even brought catapults into the beach where they were in range of ship canon fire to set the expectation of invasion or destruction.

Securing Kalimdor for the Horde meant that all the resources on Kalimdor belong to the Horde. it’s a pretty important thing to fight for. With resources the Horde could defend itself from the clearly more technologically advanced Alliance. I’m pretty sure that’s why Madison wanted the north. so much resources. he thought the settlers would be easy to defeat if they cut the British off of sending reinforcements and they were wrong.

1 Like

The ones who attacked Washington DC were British regulars from England, not settlers.

uh no they were settlers, those British officers who manned those forts never went back to Britain, those generals became our first politicians. Just because Canada didn’t gain independence until 1867 doesn’t mean that British settlers didn’t become Canadians like British settlers didn’t become Americans.

the majority of soldiers who fought in 1812 for the British were militia. Militia were just armed settlers.

Anyhow, You are comparing the Horde to the confederacy but that’s honestly a really confusing and illogical comparison, especially to non-Americans. I don’t understand why you would even make that comparison.

checks date… oh it’s Sunday.

Does the word ‘settler’ really fit when we’re talking about areas with established cities and areas of control? Like most of those regiments weren’t there to take new territory, just defend.

I see that you’re a fellow Canadian, so I’m really curious as to what exactly you think you’re talking about.

I was talking about the Burning of Washington, which I thought was also what you were talking about. The British soldiers in the Battle of Washington were regulars of the British army. A British Expeditionary Force sailed up the Chesapeake Bay and landed forces outside Washington, who proceeded to sack the city while the Americans fell back to Baltimore. The British withdrew before any American counterattack could occur.

Nominally, this was in retaliation for the American sacking of York (modern day Toronto) which served as the capital of Upper Canada at the time, but the British forces (which included the Canadian militia) that fought in Upper Canada was not the same force that attacked Washington, which again was an expeditionary force from England (by way of Bermuda) that had been freed up by the end of the Napoleonic Wars.

How then are the Horde like the confederacy? I’m so confused.

Two Canadians arguing over American history. This is actually quite hilarious.

I recognize you from the SF unofficial discord now, you live in T-dot right? cool cool.

Like a confederacy.

1 Like

Not the confederacy. Gotcha. Though, to be a confederacy the Horde would actually have to be organized and they are anything but that.

The Horde is mostly likely described more as a tribe

a group of persons having a common character, occupation, or interest

the shared interest is survival. although that interest is evolving into having a shared set of morals, The Horde is evolving. I think it’s premature to call the Horde Council a confederation. Lets see if it’s lasts and doesn’t crumble or sit in a stalemate the first time there are disagreements over course of action. The Horde shouldn’t be just a council, it should go back to it’s roots an be a tribe. It was a tribe under Vol’jin. but it can still be a tribe with a council, i think that’s probably the best case scenario.

1 Like

The best predictor of future performance is past performance.

4 Likes

The only thing more Canadian than having an opinion about Canada is having an opinion about America.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t lay money that your average Canadian know more American history than your average American, but I wouldn’t be surprised either.

1 Like

I thought that was Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie, but either way good song.

1 Like

I hope so. I don’t like the alliance. I don’t like final fantasy. And I don’t like guild wars. Factions is a selling point to me, and some of the best story points come from inter faction debate.

I am for WARcraft. Not ff homogenization

I mean after all this is World of WARcraft not Hello Kitty Island Adventures.

2 Likes

Idk where these people come from Everytime with these basic tedious tales lol

2 Likes

Pretty sure the Alliance will have to, since the Night Elves will threaten to leave it.

I don’t think it should be overlooked that the Horde note is written from a Trolls perspective, a race where one tribe or another has been in a state of nigh perpetual war for thousands of years.

It’s less that the Horde in general is looking to pick another fight and more that Trolls expect (probably rightly) a war will eventually break out again.

4 Likes

Which was just massively out of touch. They already had the example of Southshore to work from; they really should have seen it coming.

Also, this sentence is giving me a sinking feeling:

“The Horde needs to heal, but we need to know where we hurt first to heal right.”

Please tell me that doesn’t mean we can look forward to yet another expansion’s worth of introspection as to “Finding the soul of the Horde.” PLEASE.

16 Likes