Does it get better at max level/gear?

Relatively new player here. Long story short I asked reddit to pick me a class according to my playstyle. 80% of the replies recommended rogue (cause I’m mainly a pvp player in games and like to play a gorilla playstyle). I’ve speced into sub and done a fair amount of research and video watching on the class as I level to understand what I’m doing with it.

I’m not accustomed to pvp games with gearing/leveling required for pvp (This is terrible design for a pvp system, but that’s for another post). Once I hit max level/gear does rogue get better? Right now in battlegrounds(lvl50) my opener barely tickles even cloth targets and I die to a weak fart even after popping all my cooldowns. I just want to know if this uphill fight is the class, the gear, or me. Give me a somewhat objective answer if possible, even though it’s tempting to to just be like “my class sucks, plz buff”.

Rogues suck in literally every aspect of the game right now except for niche circumstances like RBG base sitting / ninja capping and in mythic+ they are somewhat decent.

Areas that they suck are Arenas, dueling without LoS, normal battlegrounds, any raiding, world pvp without LoS.

My advice to you if you MUST play wow is to reroll instantly. If you want to be melee play a warrior / ww monk / ret paladin (in that order). If you want range play a Fire mage / Fire mage / Fire mage (in that order).

If you want to play a game that values your time and investment then go play a different game. This isn’t league of legends where if Riot breaks your champ you can just pick up another within a couple days. This game requires a ton of time investment even for a single character so when the character you chose ends up sucking you are just screwed and rerolling to play a new class can literally take weeks because it will take quite a while to somewhat catch up in gear (you will never catch all the way up, you will always be at a disadvantage).

10 Likes

Not really. In pvp we are more of stun bots for other classes that do damage. We are very squishy, bring no raid utility, and our damage is underwhelming. Also because of the high skill cap you have to try harder and still at the bottom of dps charts.

Unfortunately I’m really close to quitting my rogue after maining it for so long. Ranged classes are better overall with some being better than others. If you want to PvP I’d suggest priest or mage.

I might be rerolling to a warlock myself.

3 Likes

That’s another thing, why do ranged classes do so much more damage than melee in this game? That makes no sense. Melee, if a dps spec, should always do more than ranged. Higher risk of dying should have a higher reward of damage. Either that or be considerably more survivable. I’m not one for long cast times myself so most all the ranged specs dont appeal to me

3 Likes

Because blizzard is run by a bunch of idiots that have even less clue how to balance than riot. I have made several posts trying to highlight these issues and praying for a fix, you can see my post history if you are curious. Rogues are by FAR the worse class in the game right now overall and you would be an absolute FOOL to start one in it’s current state. I unfortunately started one before this was known, so I drew the short straw in wow and just get to enjoy being worthless until I get fed up enough to quit, which will be 9.0.5 if there are not sweeping changes for us.

5 Likes

A classes damage should in no way be determined by if they’re Ranged or Melee, should come down to a players preference and what types of mechanics they have to deal with.

Some bosses are harder for Ranged to play and vice versa, it’s just how the game plays and is designed.

However Rogues are just in a bad spot at the moment, we’ve been one of the best classes in the game for nearly every aspect for years so it’s just unfortunate the current state we’re in.

Outlaw is in a viable spot though for M+ and casual raiding, it deals decent Single Target damage and very strong cleave. Outlaw Rogues have been in the majority of MDI teams this season so that goes to show their viability, the 100% Crit Legendary with Killing Spree is also a ton of fun to play while being really good in all but a couple Dungeons.

Rogues are getting a bunch of Legendary buffs and Assassination gets Cut to the Chase which extends Slice and Dice whenever you cast a finisher, they still need to do more buffs to make us a competitive DPS choice though.

Yes it gets better then what you currently doing at lvl50.

As someone who is just starting don’t listen to ppl talking about meta right now - there will be a whole different meta by the time things click-in for you as a rogue.

The thing about Wow is that the landscape changes with every patch release, drastically changing the dps rankings (this happens 2 to 3 times per year)

rogue is the best class in the game - when played well

2 Likes

It’s true that the majority of people concerned about Rogues and the meta aren’t going to be affected by it anyway.

However saying stuff like, “Rogues are the best class in the game when played well”, gives people false hope. Rogues in PvP are viable and simply amazing in RBG with a high skill cap but it’s a different story in PvE.

You can’t suddenly make Assassination or Subtlety the best DPS in the game just by being good, up to a point you’re just limited by the numbers your class can pump out. While you’re able to be at the top of the meters in a specific guild or pug that just means the people you’re playing with are not playing their classes to their fullest.

Players need to not have kneejerk reactions when a class they play is weak, like you said it won’t always remain that way with changes in Patches and gear scaling. Should just play what you like and not jump ship to the FoTM class they may not even like.

I did make a Death Knight just incase we’re still not viable next raid, my alt sims 600 less DPS on ST while being 211ilvl compared to my Rogues 226, it can be disappointing getting a 95th percentile parse or higher and the Moonkin with a blue parse does a thousand more DPS. :grimacing:

No it is factually not and to spout off this information is fairly malicious. Many top rogues are being benched or playing alts to compete; or even trying meme 1 shot sin builds to cheese opponents in a tournament…failing then getting benched anyways.

In pve it’s even worse. We currently hold the spot for the two worst DPS specs in the game, not even just melee but just overall two worst specs in the game. Our only good spec is outlaw which isn’t even middle of the pack anymore; it is also getting outpaced and is currently LOW mid tier now unless the fight has constant adds and will continue to move downward. On top of that we have zero utility.

Rogues are factually the worst overall class in the game right now and it’s not even close. To say otherwise is pure delusion.

Yeah that’s what we have all been doing for months now and nothing has changed. At this point it is safer to not play rogue than to continue sitting around with this worthless class for possibly the entire expansion.

1 Like

False. Ranged should have 100% uptime, even dealing with adds and mechanics. Melee if you have to do a single mechanic or dodge anything lose uptime. For these classes to balance out melee need to have more damage on patchwerk style fights period. Melee are also notoriously more likely to be hit with aoe and splash damage making the healer’s job harder. If both melee and ranged do the exact same damage choosing to take a melee class without absurd utility (DKs) instead of a much safer ranged class would be insanity.

False. The two days I watched it there were 3 rogues over about 25 matches.

2 Likes

This honestly just sounds like a casual players perspective on raiding class balance. Mentioning melee taking more splash or AoE damage is just proof of that, a good Melee players is no more likely to be hit by ground effects than a Ranged player.

Melee and Ranged are already balanced around having to do unique mechanics, this is why you must bring a melee and ranged even on fights that are unfriendly to melee and it isn’t just because of buffs or utility it’s because they have a job to do just like ranged.

Suggesting them to go even further and balance DPS around nothing more than their specs role is like how they use to have a Hybrid tax, it’s bad game design. You have little to no raiding achievements so I’m just going to chalk it up to a lack of experience. If you played melee and ranged in a variety of PvE content you would understand very clearly why it would be a massive mistake to balance melee DPS to have higher DPS on average simply because they’re melee.

You must have not watched the same MDI as I did, you can even look at team comps on Raider IO. Necrotic Wake skews the representation a little bit however a grand total of two teams didn’t use an Outlaw Rogue for that dungeon.

1 Like

Abusing crit legendary on weapons in a single dungeon is not a healthy representation of an entire class in MDI.

I am not going to waste my time arguing with you about melee liabilities. It is common knowledge, especially from someone who is hiding his logs in full pvp gear.

1 Like

Most top guilds like SPK hide logs, it’s common practice to prevent people from being mongoloids to parse during progression.

PvP gear is also BiS for Outlaw and a lot of pieces are for Assassination as well, not sure why you said it like it’s a negative thing to be wearing BiS gear. Just shows me you don’t understand the game. :roll_eyes:

Like I said before, to suggest melee should do more dps than ranged simply for the role they picked is one of the dumbest things I’ve read all year. This is the sort of talk you would never hear from a competitive player or guild because they understand the differences and important roles they play.

Nice 26th parse on Mythic Hungering though, I didn’t intend to look at your logs till you mentioned ours being hidden but it was worth a good laugh.

2 Likes

That was first pull progression kill. If you were more intelligent you would have known that. Also you can do your own personal logs.

Are you dense or intentionally being ignorant? if a guild is private logging they’re going to ask anyone doing personal logs to keep them private as well.

If they just allowed personal logs that entirely ruins the whole point of private logging to begin with, how did this go over your head?

Also if you’re getting green/blue parses on progression kills that’s not good, depending on the fight you could have anywhere from 10 to 200+(End bosses even more) pulls, if you’re not getting consistently good pulls every time then that just means you’re a slow learner or unable to play the class correctly.

Perhaps you cant read. It was a FIRST PULL progression kill. Are you dense or intentionally being ignorant?

Hunger Destroyer is literally Patchwerk where you run away from the boss a few times a fight, are you saying you’re incapable of doing your Rotation on a target dummy?

Nice to see you’ve added two 9th percentiles, how did you manage that without dying? Better nerf range DPS though amiright? :monkey:

You probably wouldn’t understand this but Ill try to get through to your peanut brain. Sun king logs are never validated. You don’t even get points for that fight for a good reason. I am on the first pedestal group and we click them during the first large aoe with Darithos so I lose out a large portion of logs there. Then we have enough knockback to guarantee phoenixes don’t ever get into cleave range. Then on the second first phase when adds spawn again my group is back on pedestal clicking. You probably don’t know what I’m talking about though because you paid for your kills so you don’t know how the fights actually work.

Then on Inerva we stacked immunities and got lucky on them where 3 add phases we completely skipped them. Less adds = no cleave. No cleave = low parse. I still got over 5k dps where my patchwerk sims only have me at 5.8k even though I had soaked bounes and had to do beams twice. Again, you wouldn’t understand this because you paid for your kills. See, things like this are why your guild may want you to hide parse because in mythic mechanics > parse. But it’s clear you don’t know this. Another very good reason to hide parse is to hide carries and boosts; which it seems very clear you are a customer of because you are completely clueless on why ones parses would vary.

Oh and another thing, you talk about being a “top guild” and you are only 1 boss up on me and I am with just a bunch of casuals that spend more time goofing off than playing this game. So the guild you purchased your boost from may be a top guild (haven’t checked) but you certainly aren’t a top player.

Sorry but I don’t think you understand how parses work, getting a 9th percentile means you’re in the lowest bracket near the bottom of all Rogue logs. Pressing the pedestal which a lot of Rogues do due to the downtime on the fight isn’t going to change that.

Funny you blame mechanics on Inerva for getting a 9th percentile, but again a lot of people have to do them and most guilds end up skipping a full pack due to high DPS now and they’re still not getting grey parses.

I’ve raided with SPK for a little over 4 years now and have consistently got top 10 end boss kills with them but I guess I buy my kills. :rofl: I can’t imagine how much gold 19 N’zoth and 21 Jaina Mythic would have cost, you’re just mad I’m making fun of your garbage logs so you resort to claiming I buy Mythic kills without actually looking at the hundreds of end-boss kills I have with SPK.

I’ve sat my Rogue for all of Progression due to them not being viable compared to Unholy and WW, but again you took zero effort to actually look before you try and insult. :rofl:

Stop making excuses for your garbage parses, mechanics and strats a lot of Rogues use are not the reason your parses suck. I don’t think I’ve ever got a grey parse in a single raid without dying early on, that’s such a yikes man.

1 Like

Haha nice boost brother. “I sat my rogue and hit my parses” yeah, no. You bought a boost. You have no idea how small variations in strats and mechanic rotations can drastically change parses. You also have no idea that typically the cleaner you do a fight, the lower your parse will be due to less adds and downtime due to damage being too high and you will overshoot a health threshold.

The more you talk the more it is clear you paid for your kills.

LOL I mean outlaws best fights are probably stone legion and Sire and you are going to tell me your ‘top guild’ strung you along for weak fights then benched you when you would be somewhat useful? Haha. The boost is real!