Does fast offhand matter, or is it a myth? (Procs Per Minute limitations?)

Classic question:

Trying to get the real scoop on this. Watched a “Rogue guide” video where the guy says you don’t need to find the fastest offhand for poison procs because of WoW’s Procs Per Minute limitations, and that it works out to be the same amount of damage overall (i.e., even if your weapon procs a lot, it’ll stop proccing after a certain point due to the limit and thus you aren’t really getting any extra procs overall anyway).

To quote: “Instant and Wound Poison use a Proc Per Minute System (PPM). This means that regardless of your weapon speed you will be doing the same damage with Poisons.”

So what’s the truth, do I need a fast OH dagger, or can I use a semi-fast offhand sword instead?

OH speed wont matter in PvE

Its mostly for PvP, well poison has ppm based on speed, faster is still better with gear/talent that +poison chance

1 Like

Damage poisons weren’t changed to a PPM system until 3.1. In classic they are still a fixed % chance.

Assuming this part is correct, a faster weapon will yield more procs regardless of which hand it’s in. However, for your main hand weapon, it’s important to look at the base damage because this will impact your special attacks like Sinister Strike and Eviscerate.

A 2.0 speed weapon will have a high base damage than a 1.8.

This is why the “Librarian’s Paper Cutter” was so powerful back in the day. I believe it’s was 1.5 or 1.4.