Does Anyone Actually Like being Crowd Controlled?

This isn’t necessarily specific to RBG’s, just sort of PvP in general, but I can’t be the only person who plays WoW that thinks “there are entirely too many different schools of CC in this game”.

The game is probably too old for the devs to do anything about it because people are so used to all of the CC, so this is probably going to fall on deaf ears. But I mean, who at Blizzard thought to themselves, “Hey, you know what sounds really fun…? Being crowd controlled over and over and over again!”

I’m not a gladiator player, but I have played WoW since Vanilla, and have PvP’d since the start. In the beginning, CC wasn’t as annoying because there wasn’t THAT many forms of it. But as the game has grown and improved over the years, it’s just gotten to a point where some PvP matches are just unbearable because of how many different ways one can be CC’d.

I get it, there is strategy involved in long CC chains, and I understand each class/spec has certain abilities to avoid or remove them. And I know crowd control is a necessary and integral part of PvP. That doesn’t change the fact that all of the different forms of CC can make the game more frustrating than fun.

There’s what… Seven different schools of CC? Why does there need to be that many? It’s just my opinion, but WoW really should consider condensing some of these. If they don’t, then they may want to observe how other games deal with diminishing returns in PvP.

What would be so bad with just having them condensed into 4 schools of CC? One school for complete loss of control of your character (fear/stun/polymorphed/etc), one for movement impairing (root/snares), one for your ability to cast or attack (silence/disarm), and one in which your characters positioning is affected (knockbacks, and spells like Shadow Rift/Spear of Bastion). I mean, you could still get off CC chains, they just might not be as long, which wouldn’t exactly be a bad thing.

If condensing isn’t an option, altering diminishing returns could be. It’s been a while since I’ve played it, but PvP in SWtoR, once you were hit with so many CC’s you became immune to all of it for a short duration of time (not just one school of it). Now they may have changed that since the last time I played it, but it was so refreshing to be able to play a match and not be crowd controlled for half of it (exaggerating, but you get it).

Some other games also have the PvP Trinket which removes all forms of CC, but they take it a step further and give you immunity from further CC for 1.5-2 additional seconds after use. That would be, and again this just my opinion, a step in the right direction because there are times where the current PvP trinket feels borderline useless. Not all the time, but a lot of the time.

I do like and enjoy WoW PvP, I just think it could use a little altering is all. If you read my rant and agree, cool. If you didn’t agree with it, you’re honestly just probably better than me at being able to avoid CC. Either way, just my two cents. I fully expect to come back to this thread and read all of the “get good” comments, or it might just get lost in the shuffle. /shrug

9 Likes

Just line it bro

You need to be conscious of what you’re using it to break, and why. If you trinket a cheap and the rogue vanishes then you can bet that he’ll probably blow you up just as soon as you’re off DR. Similarly if you trinket a disarm because you really want to blow somebody up and immediately get put into a stun then you’re probably in trouble.

I think that it can be frustrating to not really know what CC is available. Trinket a cheap into a DR kidney and die anyways? Polymorph and get polymorphed again? Stun in general, but they don’t have offensive CDs, and you get blown up next DR? Definitely a steep learning curve.

Not sure if trying to condense things is the right way to go about addressing it, though.

1 Like

I can get annoyed at sitting long CC chains but I often also recognize that I probably put myself in that position by trinketing something non-essential or lining/ranging my teammates which prevented them from being able to help me. Outside of my own failing, CC chaining is typically fine. It is meant to set up kill/recovery windows. If the enemy team can CC your team so cleanly that it leads to kills then that’s cool.

1 Like

its beautiful when chained correctly although i agree some should be on the same dr.

The amount of CC and DR schools we have now is far less than we had in MoP. A few examples… mages and warlocks silence gone, charge stun gone, deep freeze gone, PoM poly/NS hex gone. Some rogue specs are missing gouge or blind. Throwdown, paralytic poison, baseline dk silence, all disarms removed baseline, scatter shot removed baseline, paladin blind removed baseline, hunter pet CC removed, warlock disarm removed, and more.

DR schools have been reduced as well, they did that in WoD or legion. Scatter used to not DR with freezing trap, cheap shot did not DR with kidney shot, etc.

CC is what keeps PvP from turning into a pure DPS/HPS check. What may be needed is the return of abilities you could use while CC’d or pre-emptively before being CC’d. Not many of those left.

2 Likes

Rip monkey poo fling
Rip scorpid disarming rogues that open on you
Rip angry little crab in aggro stance that’d charge nearby stealthed people and pin them down

Better days

if you don’t like being crowd controlled, try harder to stop it?

lol there it is!

Totally agree and have never liked crowd control.

I never really liked CC either, and this is coming from someone who has main’d both a paladin and warlock, lol.

This is victim blaming

/s

1 Like

That sounds like you don’t enjoy pvp, then, since the enemy will indeed hit you back. Positionning is often the main reason why this happens btw.

1 Like

All CC needs to be on the same DR but the DR formula needs to be changed. For example:

All CCs share a dr but after each consecutive CC the duration of the next is reduced by 20% stacking to 5 times.

Players also should be able to see their DR buff. Make it visible for visual clarity.

What an awful idea. Do you play retwarr by chance?

Get diminish. They don’t display Drs in the base UI because it’d be too cluttery/confusing for people people, especially outside pvp.

1 Like

Having one buff to look at is too much clutter?

Lol…

There’s more than one school of CC.

Yes, for most people.

1 Like

Not with what I proposed. At 5 stacks you’re invulnerable to all CC. Anything less makes this game trash.

Call my idea bad if you want but nothing NOTHING is worse than getting pollied for 8 secs then 4 secs then 2 secs, then blinded for 8 secs then sapped for 8 secs then sapped for 4 seconds then kidneyed for 6 seconds by a rogue mage combo

Awful.

You getting peeled on your CDs is what’s generally referred to as “user error”.

1 Like

Nobody likes it but you need CC so it doest become a dps or heal check but comps that have acess to poly, stuns, sap, disorient and fear makes it a pretty bad experience for people that are learning.
My major issues is how rogues can triple stun and CC across the map due how good their mobility, CC and burst are. Shadowstep could get a nerf honestly, also warrs could get toned down a bit same for the insane bursts here and there.

Anyway nothing is worse than cheat death mechanichs imo. If something dies, it should die lol.