Does anybody even like Arcane Familiar

Careful now, WotLK Classic has just shown how much it was loved, and Cataclysm is right around the corner. Just need to see how represented the specs are to really get an idea.

1 Like

You’d have to elaborate on what you mean by this for me to have any context on what you mean by it.

Okay, so you’re telling me the representation of a spec in a classic version of the game reflects on something about the spec in retail… How, exactly?

That’d be like telling me that people loved Affliction Warlock and Unholy DK in classic, so people must love these specs and they must be great in retail. You’re basically telling me that the apples are red because oranges exist.

Retail Frost is a vast improvement over almost every other iteration of Frost Mage that I have seen or played.

Not sure where he’s going with that either. Take this for what it’s worth, but when I check archon.gg popularity rankings for both normal and heroic ICC in Wrath Classic the only spec that’s S-Tier is Fire Mage.

Of all DPS specs Frost Mage is second from the bottom in popularity. The only spec less popular is Blood DK.

Anyway, just based on what I can see, evidence suggests that Frost Mage in general isn’t that popular in Wrath Classic, at least not for raiding. Maybe there’s a robust Frost Mage RP community that doesn’t raid all running around with the permanent pet but not sure how we’d know that. And I kinda doubt it.

1 Like

This is the data you’re having to sift through. By all metrics, popularity is a significant variable. Though the trick is in understanding why. Fact: Not many people raided as Frost in ICC. Reasons: Fire had a significant leg up in DPS even compared to Arcane. What we have to determine is what we’re talking about. Are we saying a spec in and of itself was popular? Or are we saying how a spec was played was popular? If it’s the former, Frost has never been overtly popular except MC, Battle of Dazaralor(which is an interesting two-fold example itself), and now. The coloration and causation between DPS and popularity is prevalent. Fire is most popular in ICC, because dps; Eternal Winter is also most popular amongst the die-hard raiding Frost Mages. If it was as always stated: “That no one liked the Welly.” why then, was there a darn near 100% usage in Classic? Why was BFD Frost’s greatest time of popularity when they were literally bottom class and spec?

1 Like

The question you need to ask before jumping to conclusions is whether or not frost is capable of S tier dps. If it’s not, what the frost mages are doing is represtative of what people committed to the spec actually want, you can assume the tryhards will bloat the numbers for the higher performing specs. Specs should not be designed around tryhards. The tryhards can learn what they have to to prove they’re s tier players and they’ll play a different flavor of the month tomorrow.

None of that to say that if frost gets perma welly everything should be exactly the same as it was. Demo became popular due to significant reworks. It was by far the cludgiest and least effective lock dps specs in vanilla. At least that’s my memory.

1 Like

I didn’t bring DPS into the conversation, although of course that is the principle reason Fire Mage is the most popular DPS spec in Wrath Classic.

My point is that there is no evidence to support Icy’s assertion that Wrath Classic shows how “loved” the pet was. The data are at best inconclusive, and if anything could just as easily be said to show the opposite.

That is the intricacy of the conversation. You have to ask why a spec is popular. When Arcane was in pace with Fire, Fire was still more popular because it was probably more fun, and easier to pull off given playstyle. Frost was very unpopular because at best it was pulling maybe 66% what Fire was. Of course it’s going to have lesser representation. Would you pick a car that had two-thirds the horsepower all else being equal? That is why we can’t just go by tier lists on archon.gg or parse numbers on warcraftlogs. We have to delve into the spec itself, see how many of the 200 Frost Mages chose which particular play style. Using ICC as an example, sure Frost only has 213 parses making it 0% popularity, but of those 213, 99% of them are using Glyph of Eternal Water. So, we can infer, the general die-hard fans liked the permanent Welly(or dps was better, which was the whole argument about LW). Please try to understand that raiding popularity isn’t generally about how fun a spec/build is, but how much damage it can produce. NoIL was top dog for a time, everyone played it, it was popular, but the consensus was people missed casting IL and a subset disliked having to use Welly. While there was just as many, if not barely less, that loved it because they got to use Glacial Spike over Thermal Void finally, and it let them have their Welly.

Which is why the Welly a good example of the discussion about the Arcane Familiar. People are posting it should be removed and baked in since all it is is a little bit of extra uninteractable damage. But would also have a hissy fit and say Arcane isn’t a pet spec if Blizzard made it more in line to what the Welly was pre-“fix”. The Familiar is just that, fun. If it’s the go-to for dps great. Otherwise, the fairweather Arcane Mages don’t have to take it. But leave it there for those of us who like it.

1 Like

I completely understand why Fire was more popular. Once again that’s not my point.

My point is that because there are so few Frost players, there are no valid inferences to be made. It’s subset of a subset of a population.

As you yourself said, the small percentage of Frost Mages could very well be taking Glyph of EW because it’s the best DPS for their chosen spec. Maybe they just dislike Fire and Arcane and want to do the best DPS possible even if it’s meager in comparison to other specs. And yes, maybe some of them just like the pet.

But again, neither of these are definitive conclusions. They are at best speculative. My point remains: there is not enough data from Wrath Classic to definitively conclude that the permanent pet was “loved.”

Then we cannot infer that anything is popular amongst anything using any set of data points. And by that logic, saying something wasn’t popular because you didn’t like it, you’re only giving speculative opinion based on the data. You’re speculating that Fire was more popular. The data shows Fire was more popular, but you can’t infer that it was popular because people loved it if there’s the chance the majority of the majority only picked Fire because it was the top performing spec.

1 Like

I’d be willing to bet that Water Elemental being removed as a permanent pet and being baked into Icy Veins as a temporary summon happened as a result of data analysis. Unfortunately, it’s analysis of data that none of us really have access to, which means anybody for or against it is going to be coming up dry for actual evidence supporting their claims.

Any mage spec besides frost with a pet…ew

1 Like

These statements are contradictory.

You’re debating semantics now, applying a very narrow definition to the word “popular” and completely sidestepping the point.

Use whatever term you want. Popular, most common, most utilized, highest frequency, blah blah blah. For the purposes of this conversation, I will use “popular” to mean widely chosen. Fair?

Fire is “popular” in Wrath. Frost is not. And because it’s not, you can draw no conclusions about the “popularity” of the permanent Frost pet.

Show me where I said I didn’t like it. The pro-WE crowd keeps attacking that straw man, but that’s all it is. I merely understand (and agree with) why the WE was removed.

The data shows what the data shows. Wrath Frost is objectively “unpopular.” My personal preferences (and yours) are irrelevant.

1 Like

The sad reality.

That is objectively not true. And I fully understood your use of “popular” for Fire, and supplementing it for my use of the WE. Just because it’s the least popular spec, doesn’t mean there’s no data scour. Of the uses, the grand majority of the lesser popular spec shows that the perma WE was the popular choice. You’re purposefully separating the use to what fancies your point the most. If you can say Fire was more popular because it has 95% representation, then I can safely say that perma WE is more popular because it has 95% representation as well.

Using the Familiar: It has a 100% selection rate, but Arcane Mages are only 1.4% on the popularity chart. So, one can infer the Familiar is the popular choice; if we were going by my usage. Otherwise, there isn’t enough population using Arcane Mage to infer how popular it is.

And if you must, can use a different time in Frost’s history. Battle for Dazar’alor.

Let’s back up a second. This is the assertion of yours that started this conversation.

The data do not support this statement, unless you selectively interpret it as you have done. Basing a conclusion on 99% of 2% is absolutely meaningless. I am not “separating” anything, I am taking the data for what it is. I have drawn zero conclusions about how well “loved” the pet was. All I’ve said is the data don’t support yours. And in this, I am correct.

It’s only as meaningless as you wish the data to be. Plus, I’m not saying it was “loved”, just that it was popular. Going through the history of build choices, we can see patterns. A spec become so prominent, it pushes the other two out of popularity. As well as, a talent or combination there-of becomes so prominent, it pushes the rest out of popularity. And if going by the idea that 99% of the lower percent is meaningless, we can’t infer whether or not any particular talent choice for Arcane Mages was any more popular than any other as Arcane was never the popular spec. It was always either Frost or Fire. Because, if we go by the reason of somethings removal or inclusion(ala Shifting Power after I remember countless posts saying people hated it), we can come to the conclusion Cata introduced the perma-pet because of its popularity in the 99% of the 2%.

Yes, in Cata, Fire is once again going to be the popular spec, maybe given a teensy run for it’s money with Arcane. There are inferable reasons for this, but they would be subjective all the same. Though, if the representation of Frost increases, there must be a reason as well.

Just look at the Familiar since inception. It had 100% use in the first tier, with instant plummet to 0% the tiers after, all the way into DF where suddenly it has, and continues to have 100% use. Will you conclude it is a popular choice, or argue that it’s only chosen because of extraneous circumstances?

Post Edit: It’s one of the things I’m afraid is going to happen if once again the Familiar drops to 0% usage. The Data showing zero popularity, thus the reasoning for it’s removal, and now player choice and fun is once again stifled because Dev’s can’t balance talents to save their life.

It was a lame excuse of them saying: Rarely someone picked it.

OFC bec. it was super weak and there was no rly benefit (except some rare PVP situations) no tank-pet for open-world or something like this or some benefits in grps.
If it had been atleast +ok+ more people had picked it.

Oh damn, I never knew it did that! Like I said I’ve ever once used it because it isn’t an arcane elemental and I hate how ineffectual and puny both it and its attacks look. Knowing this makes me feel better about opting out, lol.

Here is what’s really standing out to me from the conversation that was sparked by this thread: there simply isn’t enough build diversity or talent variety in the game.

There are clearly both a majority that dislike pets (some because they just don’t like the fantasy and others because they can’t stand the game’s jank pet AI) and a vocal minority which really, really seem to like them. Both opinions are equally valid, imo, and since conjuration magic has always been a cornerstone of the fantasy mage archetype I don’t see why it couldn’t be integrated into the class as a viable alternative (emphasis on the alternative).

The fact is, the overwhelming majority of talents are flat damage increases or otherwise passive buffs that can very easily be made baseline with their talent nodes then freed up to be used to facilitate and enable multiple different playstyles even within the same spec. But the devs are pointedly choosing not to do that whether because they think it’s too much work or would be too difficult to balance (likely a combination of both).

Whether you agree or disagree with that reasoning I think it’s important to understand where it comes from and to accept that asking for a change to the status quo isn’t unreasonable or that unrealistic to achieve if there was a desire and a genuine effort to do it. It is one of the main purposes of these forums after all. And at the end of the day if the discussion isn’t popular it will eventually die down, even if the few people really passionate about it keep stubbornly trying to bring it back.

2 Likes

Another reason i hate pets is that it requires tons of keybinds to manage. Summon pet, dismiss pet, pet follow pet attack and pet move to. Its annoying if you want to use it optimally in pvp not only janky ai wise but keybind wise, i would rather have fun spells that pet micromanagement spells. At least the arcane pet doesnt need to be managed with keybinds