Do you realize Blizzard is turning Classic into retail?

i love retail so this is a good change for me.

4 Likes

I like the new ranking system.

Still not a handout to reach 500k, but no longer impossible for non-NEETs

Only thing they need to do now is split PVP gear into three phases, with additional requirements for phase 2 and 3.

Yes because 40-70 hours a week in BGs for 5 weeks straight is just handing out gear. You really want to address ease of gear it’s GDKPs … I spent less time for better gear and didn’t even have to be good dps because the groups are hand picked to have a few strong players carry you through the raids.

This is hilarious to me. As someone who both received participation awards in youth and was a starting lineman on a Colorado high school championship football team, I can assure you the former does not take away from my accomplishment of being a state champion.

However, what the participation trophy did was keep me playing. So if the ranking changes are like participation trophies and they keep people playing, then it keeps people paying. Which to Bliz is the bottom line.

One can argue that it never was really that special. Just required you to spend a lot of time in the game. It never meant you were good, just that you had the ability to spend every waking moment in BGs. I remember times during BC where I’d fight a high warlord and just stomp on them, there was one specific instance where my 63 prot pally was jumped by a 70 high warlord rogue and just destroyed him.

11 Likes

Yeah it’s social equity infecting classic now. Very retail. The journey was the fun in the vanilla honor system. Not just getting rank 14. You didn’t need to get to rank 14 to have fun. Blizzard’s design philosophy is all just about getting everyone to the final reward so everyone has them. Thereby ruining the experience.

Like just let us have vanilla. If I want to play retail I’ll go play retail.

Now everyone and their mother will be rank 14 at the 8th and 9th week. Which means a new form of griefing can begin which will result in no games happening at all anymore. A bunch of rank 14s will just gatekeep anybody who doesn’t have rank 14 from progressing. Thus no one will queue anymore.

It’s beyond me how Blizzard hasn’t thought experimented this out yet.

4 Likes

Not possible. Classic and retail are mutually exclusive. If something is retail it ceases being classic. Tbc/Wrath already went that route years ago when blizzard maintained their flying mounts, gamestore boosts, and all that other garbage. Classic Era is still Classic and will remain Classic.

1 Like

Even though I mostly like the new changes, they should have just reverted back to the old vanilla system (yeah that insane grind) and kept it as authentic as possible. It seems like one of their main goals was to patch up the whole pooling issue, which is basically an exploit. If this is the mindset they have, then what about stacking world buffs? Isn’t that an exploit as well? Personally I would like to see world buffs gone just like how it was in SoM.

Now, what happens when the battleground activity decreases? Grinding up 500k honor/week isn’t a walk in the park even right now. Are they gonna lower the caps? Increase honour gains from battlegrounds? This is a slippery slope they’ve walked into.

2 Likes

You’re like 4 years late.

4 Likes

It’s well intentioned and some of it is thoughtfully designed but some of it is not.

Having straight cut-offs for which anything in-between the last threshold and the next one equates to 0 additional progress is fairly obnoxious and poorly designed.

The amount progress you get for your rank should be a fairly smooth curve against the amount of honor you earned.

Instead, if you’re rank 10, the difference between 256249 and 256250 honor is decaying orprogressing 50% of your rank bar, which isn’t logically sound at all.

It’s the right direction but it still needs to be fine-tuned.

1 Like

Agree.

As I was ranking, I was kind of perplexed by that design decision.

If they could fix that problem, it would be greatly improved.

1 Like

Having wildly outdated systems and graphics is not what makes classic popular. EQ 99 is a thing if you really love janky crap dripping with nostalgia. I wouls love to see the modern engine and UI slapped on clasic

1 Like

No one will answer the million dollar question. How is 70 hrs a week casual? Unless they plan on addressing this question then they shouldn’t make threads.

5 Likes

This.

If they ever add in-game store, boosts, transmog, into era - it would no longer be classic/vanilla it would just be another form of retail.

1 Like

The new ranking system is great. The old ranking system was abysmal.

We play classic because we don’t like retail.

3 Likes

they make a handful of changes and people start to freak out. i guess its true, classic andys only think in extremes. calm down its for the better

1 Like

Hm, breakpoints are standard in virtually every domain of life and games. What specifically is wrong with them?

Freaking :100: this!

I was never an advoocate for #nochanges, but it seems as though today’s Blizzard just doesn’t understand what Classic’s design is about.

Sure the old ranking system was a massive grind. It was well out of my reach, but you know what? That’s ok! I didn’t need to do it and if things ever change and I want to dedicate the time to it, it would have still been there for me.

I now see a thread advocating for RDF in Era with people making the arguments that they just don’t have time to find a group and that they don’t find the player interaction surrounding finding a group meaningful, so we should all just skip it.

After Blizzard expressly stated that it wouldn’t and why, Blizzard is now bringing RDF to WotLK. Clearly Blizzard is listening to these folks, arguing for convenience over experience. I would have written off that Era RDF post as nonsense but given what’s happening in WotLK and the Era ranking changes, I’m not sure.

It’s a shame.

5 Likes

Retail u can get glad/grand marshal in week 1.
Thing is you actually have to win and not afk, so all in all classic managment is in fact worse lol.

1 Like

but you’re complaining about classic. don’t you see where this path leads?

Omg it was the jailer the whole time. Since 04. It’s so obvious!!! We are all so foolish.

1 Like