Do you get specific details about what you're banned for when you're banned? (World PVP ban related)

I’ve never been banned, so I wouldn’t have firsthand knowledge of this, but do the CMs/mods/whoever let you know specifically what you’re banned for when you are banned? The post on reddit said that he wasn’t given specific info and that’s what led him to believe the world pvp is what caused his ban. Now I’m not arguing whether he deserved it or not (that’s a whole different issue) but I am wondering if you get specific details when you’re banned or not. If you do get specifics, then there really is no discussion to be had and it’s case closed, but if you don’t get specific info then maybe blizz should address that. All the rage and confusion could be preemptively avoided if players were sh own exactly what they were banned for rather than a blanket statement. Wouldn’t even have to be a ton of info, one sentence often is explanation enough. Idk just seems like a lot of hoopla over nothing especially when it could be avoided.

1 Like

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/player-is-banned-72-hours-for-world-pvp/51477/153

Already discussed previously. He wasn’t banned for PvP. He was banned because he circumvented /ignore and was harassing people through other characters and their friends.

3 Likes

So that’s great, but is that the first message he got (in the message saying he was banned) or did he have to ask for clarification to receive that? My point is that is a great explanation and totally points out why the player was banned, but if I just got a message saying “you were banned for harassment” I may have no idea what they were talking about unless they got into details.

1 Like

They typically don’t unless you can successfully escalate it (like successfully asking for a supervisor, getting big public attention). Otherwise it’s a generic reference to the rule you broke. It would be up to you to understand how you broke it. This guy apparently got a suspension, and associated with his most recent activity instead of associating it with a time he harassed a player through in-game mail. At a certain point you have to use some common sense.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t know. I’d guess that the first message was probably automated, then the second message, after he appealed, was probably generated by a human. It’s probably easier that way.

1 Like

Yes. I was hacked when i had no account time and they used a stolen credit on my account. I asked the GM i dealt with if i should remove the time and he told me no. I then got banned after that for the stolen credit card even though i dealt with it with Blizzard. (Very incompetent on their part) I couldn’t get in my account until they had an automated way of handling it which ruled out that is was my fault. Regardless they told me why i was banned.

So I agree people should be able to use common sense, buuuut we all know how common common sense is now a days. I know this analogy is a little bit much, but if a cop put me in handcuffs I wanna know exactly what is for not just read a law. Idk is it the biggest issue facing the game, no, but I feel like this was blown up all today when it could have been prevented fromt he start.

Better question – if you’re someone who does things like that, should you need clarification when it gets you banned?

no…the joker moderation here will say something like ‘trolling’ and then your email shows your ENTIRE post without any frikkin clue as to WHAT PART of it was actually trolling.

I got the first one reversed because I thought I cared about posting on this new forum.
I didnt bother with the second because when the ban me permanently I’ll wont have to think about posting here anymore.

I would say yes. I get what you’re saying, the guy is probably toxic as hell, but how is he ever going to know to change if you don’t spell out exactly what he did wrong. We may be adults who can use critical thinking and rationalization, but you gotta remember, unfortunately, many cannot do the same.

I mean even without listing a law, an officer would just say something like “Assault.” He wouldn’t necessarily brief you on the specific assault. If you are the guilty party, you also probably don’t need an explanation of “which assault.” If there were for some reason multiple assaults then which one probably doesn’t matter to you at that point anyway.

I’ve always been confused by bans and suspensions. Aren’t bans permanent and suspensions timed? Don’t mind me, I was just thinking out loud.

Common sense? C’mon, really? If you’re consistently a jerk to people in a video game, and you get suspended, you shouldn’t have to ask why. You know what you did. We’re not talking about adults and kids here – presumably, the guy responsible for that Reddit thread is an adult, as he presented himself like one.

There is simply no excuse for that kind of behavior, and if it’s something one does consistently, one should not only know why their comeuppance is being given, they should expect it.

2 Likes

And you darn well know he was told what he was banned for… It was just his simple mind didn’t equate him circumventing the chat to harassment, and that is when he did his whole… woe is me thing on reddit… of course he also didn’t expect a CM to come in there and put him on blast either… I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time.

1 Like

I think if you regularly trash talk in an ugly way/AKA harassing(/work around them blocking you) others and then get banned…

You can always assume it’s because you were harassing others. I wonder why that’s hard for people to get. It’s not a mystery guys.

On second thought I think I will remove my person experience from the post.

Blizzard isn’t always specific on bans and it’s something I think they could improve on.

There was a topic last week on Kotaku, screen shots of edgy kids demanding a reason for their ban, and the XBL telling them exactly what was done/said, publicly.

I would love…like, :heart::heart::heart: x100…if Blizzard did this.

I would too. I could fill a folder on my computer with nothing but screenshots of the complaint/reply chains and never want for a good laugh on demand.

2 Likes