Do y'all enjoy world scaling?

I has made my gameplay irrelevant.

As a Open World Quest Hero, outside of a few scaling screw ups, I am fighting pretty much the same fight over and over and over again. I never grow, I am never challenged, I don’t have to be careful or think strategical. It ranges from calmative to mind-numbing.

I am from Cata and, in that era, each zones started out challenging, moved to merely demanding and finally became easy. You felt your character grow in experience and power. And getting thru it was it’s own reward. And due to that growth, your character could go back and farm previous completed zones with ease. And dungeons could be soloed only a few levels higher.

I miss it.

2 Likes

I like world scaling mostly. I think it would be nice if there was some variation in mobs though, so rather than every mob being the same level, there was a variation of like -2/+1 levels, just to give you some variety.

But I really like the idea that A) I can go 1-60 in perhaps 2 or 3 zones max; I don’t need to explore the world just to leave it later, and B) if I ever want to rofl-stomp on things, I can always go back later.

Scaling makes leveling go a lot faster, because everything gives max exp, and so you don’t have to spend so much time getting from A to B just because you ran out of quests that will still get you exp.

In a game where everyone is rushing to max level, it makes perfect sense to do it this way.

1 Like

while I agree, it’s definitely weird. I think if more of those traditional RPG elements were in the game, a lot of these min/max folks would have better things to do. I mean, at its hard, the game should be about progressions and growth. We have moved so far away from that sadly.

One of the coolest things in BC when I first went to hellfire peninsula was the fel reaver. Massive boss mob just roaming around, lookin to stomp some new players. The zone was huge, had lots to do, and there was a real sense of progression once you left that zone. I miss that. While I enjoy the end game of wow, I do miss the leveling experience being a fun one. I’d much rather have tough leveling and fun end game then dailies and borrowed power. Hell, I’d be fine if it took you a good month to hit max level if the story and game play were good.

oi… that sounds terrible. =/

1 Like

Tbh I don’t mind the mobs scaling to my level, because it gives you options to where(zones) you choose to level. Item level scaling on the other hand can burn in the fires of hades. Plus the way it was implemented(snuck in) was a bunch of bs. They would of never fessed up to it, if players hadn’t noticed, and called them out on it. They left the item level scaling change out of any of the patch notes, which was very shady on the devs part. Also got to admit I do kinda miss looking at the map, and seeing the levels of each questing zones. Once you hit level 30 lets say, you could open up the map, and see what zone you should be questing in. Nostalgia I guess on that.

2 Likes

That does not explain it. If you are doing the foothold quests the area should be scaled to your level. It’s a bug and should be reported.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-dont-force-us-out-of-chromie-time-timewalking-journey/617686

And this is the result of not allowing people to play as they wish. Lack of player agency is a big issue.

People that like scaling and want to finish the stories are running into a wall.

So, what we can surmise is that people that don’t like scaling feel bad. And people that do like scaling and doing an expansion story feel bad. In the end everyone is miserable because BlizZard has straddled this fence for a long time by refusing to choose which side to go on. :100: :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m pretty mixed on this. I am not a fan of the 1-80 but Pandaria and up feel good. I think I hate 60-80 the most because I’m not a fan of outland or northrend.

Definitely not a fan of it at all.

3 Likes

I’m mixed.

When I’m leveling my allied races and in the process picking up a few old zones for Loremaster I love it.

But, most of the time when leveling in a new expansion or alts in BfA it seems to make leveling feel useless.

Before level scaling even though you lost secondary stats each level, you felt stronger because your level had an effect on the mobs you were facing. Your level vs. a mobs level used to influence hit chance, crit chance, damage taken, and damage done.

Even if technically your crit chance went “down” from lvl 65 to 66, gaining that level still made you feel stronger because now when you attack a level 68 mob at 66 you are much better able to tackle it.

But, prior to its implementation in Legion, we did see many threads asking for it so maybe more people do want it.

I dunno, eliminating a sense of player progression is core to the endgame now. Why else would kids grind more gear so they can do higher keys so that they effectively do less damage?

2 Likes

In practice, people probably wouldn’t notice a difference between the old way and now because of the intended flow of leveling, enemies didn’t get harder anyways as the gearing pace would keep up and so would the enemy levels at a relatively steady pace.

Imo it’s more that it feels odd because of choice in zones so you can wind up dealing with a bigger threat in 1 zone then go back to a lowbie threat (Story wise) in another but the difficulty didn’t actually change.

I enjoyed being able to do whole zones rather than hopping from zone to zone every few quests. Missed out-leveling mobs in archeology sites, had a few issues with alts falling behind the gear curve and having a bad time until they caught up.

Personally I don’t really like it, I really loved the concept back when it was first being implemented, but after playing with it for a few years I’m not a fan.

The big thing for me is the static difficulty of the world, there aren’t places that feel dangerous, nor trivial anymore which kind of affects the feel of progression in my opinion.

I’d honestly like the option to turn it off for leveling.

4 Likes

Because a lot of us are playing Classic. Its leveling system ain’t perfect, but from a philosophical and character-progression point of view, it’s a whole lot better.

I do not know why, but I enjoyed auto-attacking and drinking-after-every-pull to 60 more than I’ve enjoyed leveling in modern WoW in almost a decade. Killing the old talent tree design was part of it, scaling is another. All these things may be better for endgame, but just feels bad everywhere else.

Classic really did have a much different philsophy, which is part of why players going back to it now find its most difficult endgame to be a roflstomp. It wasn’t designed to be challenging for those who hyper-optimize their character, use every consume and cheese strat they can, and stack all the world buffs to try and get a high score on a 3rd party leaderboard. It was designed to be very hard for the majority(at the time), where it only got easier the better you played, coordinated, and used resources.

World buffs, for example, weren’t intended to be something a whole raid uses - they were just a fun little bonus, a celebration for someone doing something cool.

Naturally, as the quote goes “Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of the game.” That’s easily demonstrable in Classic, but at the same time, it’s always a player choice. Nothing in the game itself forces you to spec or gear a certain way(barring armor class restrictions), whereas if you don’t optimize your character in modern WoW, you won’t really see much content past LFR because the endgame is tuned so tightly.

3 Likes

I love it. I like to help my friends with the new leveling scaling and i like to ne able fo complete zones.

I find them enjoyable, also i like some of the older dungeons sometimes and i like to make them again. To me it is funny

World scaling doesn’t bother me none. As long as I can level effectively, and in a proper manner, I’m good.

no
10 characters

1 Like

Yea, what you described isn’t quite for me, but it’s closer to what I want then what we have on live.

That’s the thing as well, end game isn’t better for it. The game has way to many layers of complexity while not being complex at all. It’s weird, back in wrath, the game had some serious depth to it, but it wasn’t systems on top of systems. It was much more apples to apples. You got an item and it was usually very clear if it was an upgrade.

Now, there is some serious black magic and voodoo going on in the background to even know whats what. And even after you go through all the effort to find the best piece, scaling just ruins it.

Going back to my comment though, I’m just floored that all these players that complain about the game no longer having agency and RPG elements woudl rather attack others for min/max culture… rather then the game that has made it almost a requirement. I mean, this would be a non-issue if the difference was 1-2% or less. We all know that that won’t be the case. With corruptions and essences doing as much as 30-40% or more of damage or healing… we know these systems will be central to our experience.

If blizz would just tone it down some, min/max would be a small thing that player could still do, but it would be far less important. Now, instead of toning things down and fixing this insane power scaling, instead we have to deal with week lock outs and limited talent choices.

I miss the game that was simple… but still had depth.

1 Like

Then, just like Suramar, the scaling isn’t working properly. Scale ALL the zones or shove off.

I agree with this.

Over time, the content design became more complex, more difficult, which put more and more pressure on players to optimize the hell out of their characters.

Naturally, this ostracized the more casual playerbase, so in comes the multiple difficulties, leading to insane levels of ilvl power bloat(on top of player power with new talents and abilities every expansion until Legion), which in turn was the reason why they brought in scaling to try to clean up the mess.

The wrong answer to the right question, so to say.

I think the best option would be if Blizzard really just dialed back the whole “competitive MMORPG” design with endgame. Reduce the difficulties to only a couple, and leave it up to the players if they want to push for things like the highest DPS they can get, but not make it a “requirement” enforced by the game’s tuning. Something that’s still challenging for most, but gets easier the better you get, as opposed to always being a challenge no matter what you do and have.

It all comes down to player agency, though. How much choice should players have? On one hand, more choice allows players more freedom to do what they want, but on the other, it lends to players ruining the intended design of the game through their own over-optimization. In the realm of an RPG, it leaves Blizzard in a difficult crossroads.

There are those who really like endgame content being very demanding, because they feel rewarded for conquering it. Taking that thrill would bore them. At the same time, it’s fairly clear that it can be a pretty frustrating environment for someone who just plays for the typical RPG reasons, and doesn’t care about their reflexes being tested: loot, character progression, and being able to do so with their friends without feeling the urge to pull their hair out.

I cannot blame players for min/maxing so hard in modern WoW, because the game design is largely built around it for most of the endgame, but I’m not sure if there is any easy solution that will please everyone, because modern WoW has its own target audience that’s taken a different shape over time.

4 Likes