Do tanks expect to be spam healed and kept near 100% at all times?

No. I don’t really care.

I will only pop my “ohsh!t” macro when I dip below 10 percent.

That will;

• pop shield wall
  • pop last stand
  • drink a pot
  • use my armor increase ring.
1 Like

It really does depend on the tank, the amount of health they have, what they are tanking, and the type of damage they are taking.

It also tends to take a few mobs for me to figure out how much healing a tank needs. Good tanks, tanking 5 mans, using decent gear, don’t need to be topped off above 80% all the time. I also like the tank to pull while I am still drinking on an easy pull, to save time, so I will give the ready and finish drinking while his health is dropping to the minimum safe level.

If you don’t want to have to wait for your healer to drink after every pull, then probably about 50% is the line. However, at the start of a big pack or on certain bosses like Voone, you probably don’t want to take a risk.

1 Like

It all boils down to the needs of who you’re healing and grouped with. All of my dungeon runs have been PuGs with inconsistent damage spikes all over the place. After a few pulls you’ll get a feel for how much damage the tank will be taking and how much healing everyone will need, and you can plan accordingly. There have been groups when damage has been negligible and I found myself throwing heals just to feel useful, and at the same time groups where damage seemed to be so all over the place that waiting 5 seconds and only using my biggest heal just wouldn’t have been feasible.

I never played a healer in an significant way in my 14 yers of WoW until Classic, and this Shaman is my first time maining a healer. So far I’ve only done UBRS and various 5mans, but that’s what I’ve taken from the experience. If you can get a consistent core group of folks to run with, either from a guild or from people who got along with in previous dungeons, do that.

You can apply different blessings to different party members.

Salvation reduces threat generation, which allows the DPS to do more damage without pulling aggro, so that’s generally what you should put on them before anything else.

Warriors might ask for Might/Kings instead, since they don’t care about having aggro, since damage taken means more DPS for them.

Blessing of Light increases your HPS/HPM, so that’s what you put on the tank. Might/Kings/Sanctuary will help with their threat generation, but only a marginal amount.

You should almost never be worried about keeping a tank topped off. It’s extremely inefficient to keep them topped at all times. Know how much your biggest, or most efficient heal heals for and wait until they are near that health and then hit them with the heal.

As long as I am at least like 60% health, I am pretty confortable…

But every instance I have done so far, my healers are usually doing dps because they are bored.

I am most often on the high side of the level for the dungeun, and I am a bear who knows how to gear, which makes it a cakewalk

Personally? I think the way you’re doing it is more fun for all involved.

No greater rush than getting that heal off just before they get dangerously low. And vice versa for the recipient.

25%… 12%… BOOM 70%!! WooHoo!

I think the problem is most tanks dont realize you cant really spam heals until you have much better gear.

For example while leveling my priest, my healing style was to utilize the 5-second rule and wait until my tank took enough damage for my biggest heal to not overheal. This worked well but typically tanks would hit close to 50% health before any healing went out, which is risky.

Now I have +412 bonus healing and I get it all done with Rank 2 Heal. I still wait until my rank 2 heal wont overheal. But that’s typically about 5-10% of a tanks health when i start healing. But if I tired that without all my bonus healing gear, i’d be oom in no time.

That being said for pally’s its a bit different, as your most efficient heal is your Flash of Light assuming you have dumped 21 points in holy for the mana return from crits, and the free crit cooldown. So its actually much better even without tons of gear, to be spamming your highest rank Flash of Light, once their is enough dmg that a crit wont overheal. And then use that CD for a max rank Holy Light crit to regen your mana. Again only once a crit of that won;t overheal. All of this is assuming your valueing Int WAYYYYY higher than spirit in your gear. Because more int = more crits, more crits = more mana regen. This is why the 5 second rule for pally’s just isn’t that good.

1 Like

Yep exactly this, I haven’t come across anyone like OP is describing yet but I probably will. Anyone who is knowledgeable about the game will understand why healers often wait as long as possible to heal rather than spamming heals.

I just ask that if you get SILENCED, please say something right away, so I can pop shield wall or kite away for a bit. Make a " I am silenced and can’t heal you!" hotkey

1 Like

Excuse me, but no.

I understand your argument, but thats not what happened.

It was more:

-drops to 50%
-I use large heal, goes to 100% health
-drops to 50%
-i use large heal, goes to 100% health
-drops to 50%
-i use large heal, goes to 100% health

Tank then says “wtb heal”

Me: “im healing you fine, ur safe”

If I felt more was needed, I would have healed more. It wasnt needed - the tank was over-reacting

The only tank so far that complained about not getting heals from me is the same tank who decided to pull right after I reapplied buff to everyone and is at 10% mana, and who went to the next room to pull while mage is screaming at him that there the polyed mob is still alive.

This is it. This is the tea, sis.

Finding a good tank is a challenge, but when you do, you are sooooooo appreciative. Had a tank for LBRS yesterday that was level 57, the rest of the group 60. This tank knew EVERYTHING about his class and took really no dmg during pulls. And we wiped 0 Times. He pulled consistent and efficient and it was a blast.

indeed. Furthermore, if the healer DID keep them in that much health all the time, the healer would likely become the tank.

1 Like

I think the tank also needs to have faith in the healer. After a half a dungeon, where so little healing is needed that Im just standing around the whole time, then I really dont see the harm in throwing out a dot or some execution move knowing everyone will be safe.

Agreed, I think it’s just a more ingrained form of retail-itis.

A big thing to remembers is that at the end of pandaria, during the stat squish, HP pools weren’t hit nearly as hard as everything else: thus, healers suddenly did pitiful amounts of healing even with their strongest heals.

This made it so that spam healing was not only the most efficient way to heal, but in fact the only way to even keep a tank alive much of the time. A low tank means the healer hasn’t been able to keep up for the fight, and that low hp will only go lower. IIRC it’s a bit better after the initial rounds of tweaking, but the general playstyle has stuck.

Same. As long as I’m not frequently dipping below 20% health and people aren’t dying I’m going to let you continue to do your job the way you want to do it.

That’s because you were using the wrong heal. Your 3 second heal takes too long and is mana inefficient. Look at the cost/hp between Holy Light and FoL–you’re supposed to be spamming FoL and that’s what he was reacting to not whether his health was 100%. The two are related issues but not the same thing.

I don’t understand why there’s a 60 priest in here telling people not to spam heals…priests are literally expected to spam heals non-stop. They also don’t worry about the 5 second rule because they have talents to benefit from spirit while casting. It’s really unfortunate where you’ve got a thread like this where the healers don’t understand their own mechanics.

I’m 20/31 holy/prot. Paladin through vanilla (holy/prot) into TBC (proc) and been healing for the past decade in “retail.”

1 Like

How do you figure this is due to “retail-itis?”

In this thread, there are paladins and priests arguing they aren’t spamming heals and instead waiting for more efficient, longer heals when their shortest heals are their most efficient and their class mechanics are designed around constant (“spamming”) healing.

As a tank… As long as I don’t die from the lack of heals… I don’t care how you do it.