Do tanks expect to be spam healed and kept near 100% at all times?

I had a druid complain about my “tiny heals” in BRD, weeks ago, saying “I don’t think we can go much further” because my flash of light was only healing for like 450, and then he demanded that I spam big heals, lol. I just said “no”, dont like it, leave.

He was quiet the rest of the run.

This sounds fishy to me. If you are letting the tank get too low before healing then you are needlessly risking the tank’s life, and possibly a wipe. With a couple of exceptions, the five second rule is not very meaningful in any five player dungeon. The fights just don’t last that long.

It’s hard to tell from the information you have provided, but if you are hearing this from multiple groups I am inclined to think it is a healing problem. “As long as no one dies” is a poor goal for this easy content. If you let the tanks linger at low health, then you may cause them to waste cooldowns, health pots and, in general, play unnecessarily defensive in content that should be a rofl-stomp.

In short, it’s not about keeping everyone at 100%, it’s about keeping them within a reasonable comfort zone so that they don’t have to play timidly. If you are struggling with mana in these dungeons then there must be some other factor causing a problem. If you are not struggling with mana, then why not just heal people?

1 Like

If a tank doesn’t understand mana efficiency, then they’re a tank you dont want to be running with. if they complain that you let them get to 50%, if you can heal that full 50% with a single spell, they’re just bad. Avoid bad

1 Like

Utterly incorrect. They’re the healers that benefit the absolute most from it due to Blessing of Light.

1 Like

To be fair, Warrior can effectively tank (particularly leveling dungeons) with just about any talent specialization. Druids take a bit bigger hit if they aren’t Feral…but most leveling Druids are Feral…so most leveling Druids have just about a full-on, dedicated tank spec in their talent selections.

Healing on the other hand, is a little trickier while leveling, in that most players are some dps talent spec, and they may or may not have appropriate gear to heal in. That’s a bigger difference than what the “dps queueing as tank” have.

Leveling Priests are hit less by this as they are (or almost always should be) in a caster set. So, despite most Priests being Shadow, they are just fine foing right on in and healing, whereas it is more of a toss up for Druid, Shaman, or Paladin.

Anyway, for leveling content at least, talents aren’t enough to stop a competent player on most classes from playing an “off role.” Not having the gear and/or knowledge may be though.

Not quite.

Priests level with a focus on Spirit and +Shadow Spell Damage, neither of which help with healing when specced as Shadow.

Long term sustainability granted through Spirit is far less valuable in dungeons than a larger mana pool and +Healing for efficiency.

1 Like

Most gear obtained while leveling is int or spirit, which is what a healing Priest will be equipping while leveling. Spirit is good in leveling dungeons, as it is easy to be outside of the 5 second rule at that stage of the game.

1 Like

Or spirit, and Spirit is more important for leveling a Priest. And that’s only until you start getting gear with +Shadow, which is much better than both.

You can spent a lot of time outside the 5 second rule, sure, and you’ll have to if you only have enough mana to cast 10 spells before you’re OOM. This is especially true when you don’t have +Healing and therefore are less efficient with each healing, making you cast more heals.

Trust me, Priests aren’t uniquely capable of avoiding the dilemma where your leveling gear is not suited to your dungeon role.

1 Like

So, again, they are wearing appropriate gear for healing.

At that stage in the game, being able to cast more heals, albeit weaker, is better than what the bonus +healing will do for a healer. Throughout most of the leveling process, base spell power is high enough that most of the time extra spell casts are the better route.

Again, I am not saying Priests do not experience any detriment for being offspec, but pretty obviously they do see less than others.

No… they aren’t. Read what I actually said.

Exactly. That’s from Intellect, not from Spirit.

You don’t prioritize Intellect when leveling, you prioritize Spirit.

Most aren’t stacking all +shadow.

[quote=“Ohshiftson-stalagg, post:71, topic:332861”]
Exactly. That’s from Intellect, not from Spirit.

You don’t prioritize Intellect when leveling, you prioritize Spirit./quote]

Which is a stat leveling Priests wear as one of their top 2 stats. And int and spirit are often on the more sought after piec ed s they wear while leveling.

Going back to the main point, this is better for healing than what most Enhancement or Feral Druids are wearing.

I suppose, but Spirit’s contribution to your ability to heal effectively in dungeons is practically nil unless you have the talents for it.

But, yes, I agree that Spirit is obviously more useful than Strength, for example.

That’s not how it works in Classic. You’re taking advice from a horde who do not have paladins. We aren’t meant to benefit from the 5 second rule during a fight. We want mp5 as our top stat and we are supposed to spam heal. If you have to downrank that’s what you should do but only as necessary. You get +heal, mp5, and crit. Your holy talents are built around spamming heals to crit and get mana refund.

I wouldn’t take it personal. There are a lot of healers who think that healing in classic is the same or similar too BFA, they want to do [or will do] chain lightnings every pull and earth shocks / mindblasts etc, meanwhile the tank’s hp sits at 50% and only gets meager heals thrown his way.

That type of healer is the one that has tanks die on them from a single add joining in, and also gets agro from nuking mobs and blames the tank for it. I would lean towards the tank just giving you a hint and hoping you are watching his hp and not focused on dps’ing like a lot of healers do before level 60.

1 Like

Oh! You’ve opened my eyes a bit more to the raiding environment. I’ve been dungeoneering for the most part, so I’ve only really had to deal with the tank taking massive chunks of damage with no other healers around. I’ve overlooked this mechanic. Thanks.

Is there 2 types or 3. Im confused

Well, you’re welcome, I guess.

It doesn’t just apply to raiding, by the way. That Blessing in the one you should be using in dungeons, as well, as it improves your HPS and HPM.

1 Like

The tanks OP has been running with are one of two types. Hence the use of “those are” and not the use of there are.

He needs to find a tank that is in a third classification. There are more than just the 3 in my post, but for the context of the post only the 3 were needed.

Clear as mud now? lol I often have issues communicating thoughts so they can be understood, so if needed I can try again.

I was under the impression that the biggest struggle was the tank losing aggro. For the tank, I was never really too concerned about their HP outside of the enrage bosses or healing underleveled players.

I personally don’t mind going below 50% health. Good healers (IMO) will know roughly how much damage the tank is expected to take on a given pull, and use their mana in the most efficient way to keep the tank from dying. Your goal isn’t to keep the tank at 100% at all times. It’s simply to prevent them from dying. These are two different things and good healers know the difference.

EDIT: I should say the same applies to tanks. I know roughly how much damage I’ll take on a pull and when to use cds. I also know whether or not I’m going to need to Innervate the healer. It’s really all about knowing what you and tour teammates can handle, which comes with a good bit of experience.