Do tanks expect to be spam healed and kept near 100% at all times?

In leveling instances. If I am over 50% and not imminently taking spike damage, I am usually not concerned at all. Below 50%, I am watching what’s going on more closely, to find out what is going on and anticipating any potential problems (eg is the healer ninja AFK, what are the mobs’ abilities, anything special about the circumstances to which I need to be extra careful of?) I may get defensive cooldowns/extra defensive tactics primed/going at this point. It’s when I am sitting below 20% for more than the amount of time a hard heal should take to cast, that I start getting squeamish, especially if I have exhausted my extra defensive options.

Don’t be silly - bandages are for the warlock that keeps tapping himself down to my “need to use super heal” level over and over.

Every time I have a warlock, it’s like I have two tanks, but one is suicidal.

6 Likes

i wait til they get down to about 30% then i start casting hearthstone and log off after i teleport.

3 Likes

Well I damn sure don’t expect a healer to let me hover below 30% the entire time.

1 Like

Meh. As long as I’m not dead. At the end of the fight, I start eating or bandaging; the healer did their job, which doesn’t include covering for me being too lazy to heal myself out of combat.

When you all make these topics, can you indicate which server you are on?

These threads happened wayyyy back when EQ players were a major word nuisance, too.

The new tanks will learn and anecdote: most groups been patient and will explain.

The fury 2H meta is a mini culprit: no mitigation actually causes them to lose health…and if other deeps are slow/weak…pressure on healer mounts fast.

1 Like

As a tank all the way,

Quick answer: No

Long answer: It’s nice knowing the tank the topped up and is always above, lets say… 70% health all the time but its not needed.

I’ve been in many many groups where my health is 10% to 30% and healers use their big heal spells to top me off.

It scares me all the time as I use healing potions thinking they’re out of mana or their CD is not up yet or healing someone else…

Long as I’m not dying too often it’s not a big deal. I always check healer’s mana if it’s ready to pull again whether they want to keep going or not. Basically as a tank your healer’s mana is like your mana. If you have a mana managing purpose why you’re not healing him to 100% all the time or you need to keep other players up than there’s no problem.

1 Like

They’re bad tanks that have never played a healer so don’t understand what you’re doing. This is why I advocate alting…

4 Likes

I play a healer as well so I know what’s going on. The paladin healer playstyle for example is spamming Flash of Light a weak heal but fast and mana conserving and some tanks might not understand when a paladin healer going oom would be holding them up with small heals and not a big blast of heal.

People need to also understand healers are classes that have taken a dps spec wearing healing gear just to heal for the group and that they’re doing it because they want to get a group going. Nobody really levels in holy or resto spec. Same with tanks are in dps spec and just want to get the group rolling.

2 Likes

Well, I can’t speak for other tanks being one myself but I’m more of a fan of the well placed single big heal.

The reason being it’s actually more mana efficient so I rather having the healer let me go down to 50% to begin casting a slow big heal so he can abuse the 5 second rule.

I’ve run with Paladins and Priests focused too much on achieving higher health percentages, not paying attention to the fact that I’m a bear and half health is a good chunk of around 1400. :sweat_smile:

No.

It’s fine they’re idiots who don’t understand overhealing is actually a problem.

2 Likes

Ideally, you want a tank to sit at just above the health threshold where a bunch of burst damage could kill him before you can respond. The hard part about playing healer is getting to the point where you can assess that threshold at a glance. IMO learning to heal PvP swaps will make PvE feel like it’s in slow motion.

1 Like

Paladins don’t benefit from downranking as much as other healers. They benefit from beefy critical heals that refund their mana. You can see this by comparing rank 6 Flash of Light to Rank 4 Holy Light. Holy Light scales better with +healing than Flash of Light, but you don’t really got much to worry about with that as much while leveling. You can precast heals and cancel spells to stop overheals. Paladins don’t benefit from spirit that much.

As someone who enjoys tanking idc if you keep me up to 100%, all I care about is that you’re drinking inbetween pulls so I can keep chain pulling.

OP, I am noticing this too, both with DPS and tanks. Everyone expects to be at 100%. There have been times they actually bandage just to get back to 100%. They need to trust that the healer knows what they’re doing.

1 Like

Whatever gets us through the pull, I don’t care what my HP’s are at as long as I don’t have a repair bill lol

I leveled my pally as ret and healed dungeons. Most commonly, my tank was a warrior who dual-wielded through most of the dungeons. While leveling, I kept blessing of light on him and used flash of light, usually max rank.

At max level I respecced to holy. I still keep light on the tank but how I heal varies. I’ll use rank 4 holy light unless the incoming damage drops his health lower than what the rank 4 would heal. At that point I’ll switch to max rank flash of light. For the dps, I’ll use either rank 3, 4, or 6 flash of light depending on what class they are and how much health they’re missing.

That’s all it takes. A little practice learning which heal to cast in which situation and it starts to get real easy keeping people alive.