Do Night Elf Demon Hunters Worship Elune?

Well, do they? I’d say probably not, but I’m curious.

if trolls do, i don’t see why demon hunters wouldn’t.

4 Likes

Considering that they’re basically empty shells who lost everything to the Legion and willingly turned themselves into Fel-infused killing machines, I’d say no, but then again if some of them did indeed join the factions after Sargeras was defeated… maybe some Kaldorei DH came to terms with themselves and went back to their old ways ?

Probably wouldn’t be too hard to justify in RP in any case

Probably depends on the night elf and why they became a demon hunter.

8 Likes

Considering the kind of absolutely messed up person you would have to be to literally gouge out your own eyes and fill their sockets with burning felfire, ostracise yourself from decent society, I"m pretty sure that one of the reasons you did so is that you weren’t exactly filled with faith in Elune.

5 Likes

I doubt they’re particularly devout, but I don’t see why they’d stop believing in her. So like, non-practicing?
Though yeah it’d depend on the individual.

2 Likes

I absolutely doubt they do for many many reasons… 1. dealing with Fel is basically heresy to Night Elven society and the Priestesses of Elune, 2. in general Demon Hunters tend to leave their overarching racial society whenever they seek out Illidan (their religion likely included), 3. becoming a DH is almost always a last ditch effort undergone by those desperate to stop the Legion (any faith they had in Elune would likely not allow them to go that far). etc.

I mean, I don’t see why they wouldn’t.

There’s nothing stopping a Demon Hunter from worshipping Elune if that’s their chosen faith.

1 Like

For the same kind of reasons Delaryn and Sira did. Elune failed to stop the Legion from masscring everyone they cared about. All of these Demon Hunters were broken people who’d lost everyone and everything.

I’m pretty sure that if I still had faith in Elune, the last thing I’d do would be to gouge my own eyes out and embody a fricking demon. Because you only go that mile when you’ve lost faith in any other possibility.

1 Like

Do they? Not necessarily.

Could they? I’m certainly sure they could.

4 Likes

The absentee god charge is tough one to get to stick in a place like Azeroth. Canonically, Aura watched something preserve Ysera’s spirit during Legion. Watched something turn Tyrande into the Night Warrior. Heard the Night Queen refer to Elune personally.

I’m not sure she’s an Elune worshipper in any meaningful way, but she likely believes there’s something out there serving as an object of all that worship.

And who knows? Maybe one day she’ll have to poke that something with a sharp object.

Night Elf Demon Hunters have a bit more of a ‘sacrifice’ angle than the Blood Elf ones because the act of becoming an Illidari for them explicitly means rejecting Elune’s blessing and giving up their afterlife as a result. So for many it would depend on the individual, but regardless of their worship, the mere act of becoming a Demon Hunter for a Night Elf is one of immense blasphemy.

Some might have become Illidari because they lost their faith in Elune, others might see it as the only way to protect the kaldorei way of life, and thus Elune worship itself.

4 Likes

I would imagine they do, though their views would most likely be some degree of heterodoxy to the Sisterhood of Elune. The grace of Elune can still be found even in the Tomb of Sargeras, despite all the Fel defilement it has long suffered. I can imagine a philosophical movement based on that simple fact, particularly after the Legion’s collapse.

I would say such a theoretical religious framework would wholly venerate of the Night Warrior, and see themselves as agents of retribution and fury for the Kaldorei.

4 Likes

Elune - realm of nature.
Felfire - realm of chaos.

Those 2 different kinds of magic. Maybe some of them still love Elune, but definitely non of them worship her.
Just a reminder of a story in Ashenvale, when Satyr (Demon) started to worship Elune, and made a sacrifice of his fel heart. Elunes magic immediately have transformed him back to his nature body, cleansing all the fel out of him.

Depends on the individual. Given what’s required to become a Demon Hunter and the Demon Hunter characters we have so far, they tend toward being edgelords, and we know how much edgelords love religion lol

That said, some wouldn’t go that far, so there might be some who retain their faith. Even those who are broken by their experiences OR become edgelords could choose to go back, so I think it’s possible.

Something to consider is that unlike their leader, the demon hunters in general still retain a great deal of personal attachment to their peoples and homelands, since their decisions to become demon hunters were largely fueled by tragic losses at home. Illidan long ago had come to resent and cast off his own people and their society’s norms (his only remaining moderately positive attachment to them is really just his personal relationship with Malfurion and Tyrande; the rest of the kaldorei he seems to have written off), but that isn’t necessarily a thing among the rest of the night elf Illidari, since they more specifically became demon hunters to avenge their own homes, families and friends that were destroyed by the Burning Legion rather than starting out from a more generalized agenda of halting the Legion’s crusade.

So while the specific magical energies they use may be anathema to those of Elune herself, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve all individually abandoned whatever tenets and beliefs they personally held to in reverence of her before joining Illidan.

4 Likes

They pretty much had cast him off first. Malfurion cursed him to eternal imprisonment without parole and no one even visited him during that time save for Maiev to deliver a fresh load of spite.

Eh, kinda. Frankly even back during the WotA before his imprisonment Illidan was never made out to be particularly attached to anyone except Tyrande and Malfurion. His attitude toward the rest of the night elves generally came across like they were just background noise to him. Only three people ever really mattered to Illidan, and he was one of them.

1 Like

From an RP point of view, I’d play out that the Pre-Legion NE DH gave up on Elune and most of their spirituality as a part of giving up all of themselves to fighting the Legion.

Post-Legion it gets interesting though. With no more Legion to fight, I’d probably want to reconnect with my people, because, what else do I have to do now? In doing so, you’d almost immediately have to confront how you feel about the very idea of Elune and Druidic nature-based belief structures. Even if you cant fully reconnect, you’re bound to feel some pull back into the overall culture (unless Blizz suddenly confronts us with a DH learning Druid spells).

I mean, I can literally go meet Cenarius, so some of that old Druidic heritage will probably dig its way back in eventually.

1 Like

Cannonically Drahliana witnessed these acts to. She also witnessed a total failure of Elune to meaningfully intercede during the War of Thrones losing her last parent during the Burning of Teldrassil didn’t help matters.

She may revere Elune for what she is and what she means to do, but she no longer has near the level of faith that was instilled to her as a child.

2 Likes