Do i need the warrior?

I made a warrior in order to get a transmogrification for my survival hunter. This item is the Greatsword of frozen hells and it drops from isle of thunder raid. i was recently told by another player that i wouldnt need a warrior for the drop when WOW head literally says “players can win this item by selecting the following classes” which are warrior/DK/pally. Whats the real truth?

Short answer: No, you don’t need the warrior. If the sword dropped, your hunter would learn the transmog for it.

Long answer: The reason Wowhead says it is for those specific classes is because it is a strength based sword. Are you familiar with “bonus rolls”? If so, that is why there is notation about the classes you listed. Being that Throne of Thunder is considered “legacy loot” at this point in time, that means that bosses will just drop random bits and pieces from their loot table without regard for your class. However, if you had a bonus roll coin and tried to use it - no, the sword would not drop for your hunter under that condition. The sword is a strength sword, therefore is not on the loot table specific to hunters and therefore a bonus roll will not yield the sword for a hunter. (I hope all of that makes sense.)

So if it happens to be in the lot of random loot the boss drops, yes, your hunter can learn the appearance and then you could use it for transmog. However, you cannot bonus roll for a chance to win it on your hunter because it is not for hunters. The bosses will drop random items for any and all classes; bonus rolls are still linked to specific classes and specific specializations.

Hope that makes sense and hope it helps! Good luck getting your sword!

3 Likes