Do damage meters ruin the game?

FF14 still has damage meters you can download so I’m not sure what that has to do with anything.

3 Likes

You aren’t allowed to name and shame people for bad dps in that game like you can here.

1 Like

They should leave them. But they should make it against tos to be a douche with epeening by trying to shame ppl with them. They should be used as a tool for yourself to get better or constructively help your guild etc. Using them in the way that most people seem to in pugs should be against tos and subject to account suspensions like in FF14.

3 Likes

Because he’s only under geared according to whoever the raid leader is. Everyone is gonna pull different weight in the raid, which brings me to the point of why dmg meters could be bad for the game. A boss can be killed with with some bad dps just fine given a few attempts, or it can be one shot by replacing the under performing. The latter is chosen 90% of the time because of what meters can reveal. This makes the game pretty boring and takes away from the experience I think.

It bothers the hell out of me that parsers are not allowed in FFXIV. The only thing i can use to gauge my dps is the threat meter, which is a terrible indicator on some of the more buff oriented jobs.

Also the lack of dps meters, paired with the rule that you can neither intentionally nor unintentionally offend somebody, enables intentionally bad play. A lot of people play black mage for aesthetics but don’t care to actually do the full rotation because. It’s a meme at this point within the community.

In short, no. DPS meters don’t ruin the game. They pressure us to try and do better.

They are probably one of the handiest add ons in the game, as far as your personal gameplay is concerned. I don’t much care if people are judging me on my dps, it is more a matter than I am able to judge myself. When I see I am lagging behind that other hunter in the raid, I check them out, try and figure out why and that may help me do better in the future.

I suppose it’s all about how you use it rather than judging its use as a whole.

Yes, but I also remember enjoying the game just fine without them, don’t you?

I wouldn’t say that they ruin the game. They have their uses and are an important tool for certain instance encounters.

But as a disabled person with multiple cognitive impairments caused by a severe traumatic brain injury, they make me feel absolutely terrible because I never reach socially acceptable levels, and I never will, no matter which role I’m in.

As a result, I don’t team up with anyone but my wife anymore, and yea, I do miss some aspects of group encounters a little, but I feel much less anxious, useless, and worthless now, which is more important than anything I could ever get from “proper” group play.

1 Like

Like any system that measures data – garbage in, garbage out.

In the case of meters, that means being able to UNDERSTAND what is going in, so you can make proper use of what’s going out.

For me, they help me understand my rotation, gear choices and talent choices better. I can benchmark against known numbers. I’d rather see the meters incorporated into the factory UI than be thrown out of the game, for that matter.

However, I will give you this: If you’ve got some knucklehead who thinks he/she runs the show and they’re using meters to do it without knowing what the numbers actually mean, that’s when the toxicity comes in. A lot of tanks, I’ve found, can’t figure out Affliction warlock numbers on short fights, for instance. Or they believe everyone should be doing 90k five minutes after dinging 120.

But you take the bad with the good, and in this case, the good far outweighs the bad. Being able to click through my own damage and see what my different essences or trinkets were doing (as % of damage) has been illuminating.

4 Likes

Little Timmy has to go get geared or cough up a few thousand gold if he wants to get carried.

2 Likes

Damage meters like anything else are a tool, and how you use that tool is what counts.

6 Likes

Damage meters don’t kick players. Players kick players.

Damage meters are tools and nothing more.

How you use them is up to you…

3 Likes

As a reasonably new player, I like them. They’ve helped me improve. And as I get more geared, learn my rotation better and start to learn mechanics, it’s been nice to see the damage increase.

1 Like

If you aren’t holding up your part of the bargain, why should you be able to stay in the raid? At the most basic, a boss needs X amount of damage to die, every person must do Y amount of damage. if you’re only doing Z amount… that’s a problem.

there’s always an explanation and sometimes a little self-reflection is all you need to figure it out. Do you really need someone to tell you what the problem is when you’re doing less damage than the tanks?

(figurative you’s here, btw)

“Think of the children

:roll_eyes:

far, far worse.

4 Likes

there’s no excuse to have bad dps. It’s not MoP with 4 bars of buttons to maximize your output.

They improve the game as metas would exist no matter what, meters give us easily read information, that’s all they do.

Addons that give other players information about you or addons that give you information about others are far worse than damage meters.

They allow me to improve, and compare myself to other warriors.

They’re extremely important for progression, and for newer or weaker players to have a reference point to improve off of.

they hurt the game. if you want to look at numbers, buy a calculator or look down at your number pad on the keyboard.

i do like the meters tho because i can get in the top 1 or 2 spots, then half afk and play badly for a while, look at facebook maybe or shop online and the raid leader wont notice.

if we didnt have meters, id probably be giving 100 percent dps all the time.

1 Like

guild/pug experience yes it can ruin your game if you care about helping your guild and you’re maining a class that’s constantly underperfoming thanks to lack of dev responses to them or simply the encounter design never thinking on certain specs with low mobility etc etc.