Divine Purpose In Shadowlands

I don’t know if the community managers are taking into account posts made here but I wanted to get this out there regardless as I am not in the alpha…

The Divine Purpose talent should be baseline in my opinion and replaced with something else. Not because its more powerful or so amazing or anything like that, I think it adds some necessary fluidity to the feel and pace of the spec that just makes it more fun to play than it would otherwise.

I don’t want to have to pick between making my damage optimal or my spec more fun to play. Ultimately I’m going to pick the one that makes it more fun, but I know many won’t feel that way.

7 Likes

Here’s to hoping Divine Purpose makes its way onto a Shadowlands Torghast Legendary. One of my favorite iterations was having both Crusade + Divine Purpose in Legion and just slamming TV’s into things.

5 Likes

You can have both divine purpose and crusade with the current shadowlands talent tree.

3 Likes

tbqh, any talent that is a “must pick” should be baked into the class in the next patch/expansion/whatever.

8 Likes

I agree with this

In my perfect world. Basesline with the talent increasing it 10%.

6 Likes

Yeah I always tend to pick Divine Purpose just because of how fun it makes the gameplay and makes it more sustained and fool proof. It will never be as good as crusader or any other strict cooldown talent just because of sheer control of your damage. So you gotta switch off of it unfortunately if you want to DPS competitively, and I always hate that.

7 Likes

Divine Purpose shouldn’t increase the damage of the ability that procs but should proc more often so it livens up the rotation. I would love for it to be a Legendary option again so I can have it and a big pp talent.

6 Likes

Agreed 100%.

If you make DP baseline, that means the damage has to come from somewhere such as TV hitting less hard. I don’t want that. I think DP is fine as a talent, especially now that it no longer shares a row with Inquisition and Crusade.

3 Likes

Remove the damage buff that it provides and make it a more frequent proc. also why does the damage have to come off of something else? Ret is fairly middle of the pack anyways

2 Likes

Either Divine Purpose or Empyrean Power would be nice baseline. Divine Purpose being in another row is nice though.

7 Likes

It used to have a higher proc chance but no damage bonus.
It was changed this way at the request and analysis of a lot of Pally theorycrafters and interaction with the class designers.

I don’t use it because of the RNG element. I just had far too many experiences of it not proccing at ALL for hours. Sometimes I had to check to see if I was specc’d for Crusade or accidentally specc’d into Holy Wrath to see if that was why Divine Purpose was not proccing. Each time? No…I was specc’d properly…it just wasn’t proccing.
And then? There would be times on trash mobs or world quests where the thing would proc non-stop.

It’s just too unpredictable.

That’s why I like Inquisition. Call it boring if you like but dang is it reliable.

2 Likes

I understand that, I just feel like it makes the rotation smoother. I would prefer a more deterministic proc and less damage personally but how it works now I still enjoy

2 Likes

Same, I like procs that spice up a rotation not being the be-all-end-all of it. Just evens out the flow and sometimes has a few spikey bits of good luck but the bad luck isn’t crippling.

Still, I must echo what others say about being glad it’s in a different row from Crusade/Inquisition. I’d rather have it than Holy Avenger for sure but over Inqusition early game and Crusade late game? That’s dicey.

2 Likes

Seems highly unlikely that DP has gone hours without a proc.

3 Likes

I agree. Miss the days of MoP where playing ret felt like hitting the jack pot on a slot machine. Proc, proc, proc…ad Infinium.

1 Like

For me, I just stack as much haste as possible to get the rotation smooth.
I personally think that generator base cooldown times need to be adjusted such that at 0% haste we have a smooth rotation (and that may be the case in Shadowlands, no alpha access so i don’t know!).
From there, procs actually do spice up the rotation rather than being a necessity to make it smoother.
Haste actually just makes your rotation faster rather than being a component to make it smoother.

Hence another reason why I like Inquisition. +7% haste. So easy to get to that sweet spot when you have such an innate bonus. This is especially noticeable while leveling or if you are not getting gear itemized the way you want it when at level cap.

2 Likes

This is why I ran Inquisition until 8.3 and had enough ilvl bloat to fill up on haste without gimping everything else. Gonna have to do it again in Shadowlands at this point. I wish they’d just lower the generator CDs too so that you don’t need to and if people just stacked haste anyway to make their rotation even faster but crit less often for smaller numbers, that’s their bag.

1 Like

Only problem with DP in MoP was that it was not competitive with Crusade for most if not all of the xpac. I was forced to swap to Crusade by my raid leader and then I felt like I was moving in quicksand.

In my opinion, it should either be baseline or the strongest talent in an additive DPS row. People who say it takes a lot of forethought out of the spec neglect to mention that (especially with talents that refund or add HP) it creates a game-within-a-game based around never overcapping HP. It gets especially interesting when you’re running Blade of Justice and also have a piece of gear with Empyrean Power on it. Then the spec turns into Proc Management 401 if you want to min/max.