Dispel cd change in retrospect?

just curious for your guys thoughts, who have now either played for years since the changes, or havent played the old version at all.

if you’ve been watching people play TBC beta, you’ve prob noticed that healer dispel used to remove a single random debuff with no cooldown, while rdruids & rshams can’t dispel magic effects at all. magic dispel was given to every healer in cata, and MoP put the 8s cooldown on it while making it clear all relevant debuffs

do you guys think that this was a better system than now, where cleaves had to play with priests/pallies and could be kept out of poly/nova/etc as long as the healer wasn’t cc’d? do you think that covering debuffs (hunters mark over trap to delay/prevent dispel) is a cool interaction?

looking forward to ur takes

2 Likes

Different time, after years of mobility creep no CD dispel wud be ruined

1 Like

Every healer having dispel is significantly better. In fact, I don’t think there is anything about TBC pvp gameplay that is actually better imho.

2 Likes

I think dispel change is the reason why mobility is out of control

All healers should have a magic dispel for sure but single debuff dispel with no cd is way better imo

1 Like

I think it’s hard to formulate a definitive opinion on it because there’s so many variable scenarios that adjust the merits of spammable single debuff vs CD-based full-cleanse.

That said, I definitely do miss classes having unique dispel identities.

I seem to have a fair few unpopular opinions though, so that’s just my 2 cents.

I like the opportunity of choice the 2 charges dispell offer.

Are you gonna dispel the root or wait for the fear/sheep?

As a healer, I hate the 8 second cooldown. I don’t understand why there’s no cooldown on offensive purge…

1 Like

Because the alternative is klepto, and people hate klepto.

2 Likes

There was a point in the game where purging / offensive dispells consumed a lot of mana, discouraging players from casting them. Now, there’s no punishment for just pressing the button repeatedly.

This is very different from having a cooldown.
This is a much more realistic target for change.
That said, Shadow Priest basically wouldn’t exist if purge wasn’t brainlessly spammable TBH; that’s basically all the spec does right now outside of utility CDs… and generally speaking, shams don’t spam purge nearly as aggressively as SP because there’s no resource incentive so it’s often ‘wasted’ GCDs to purge low-value buffs.

as someone very excited for tbc, this is very true. passive resist features are not very fun to play against.