Discipline as DPS in DF?

In looking over the trees it seems you could easily go into a more DPS/Shadow based setup and still retain the baseline playstyle of Disc.
Is this going to be viable do you think?
I like priest, loved the old DPS disc from long ago, and ive never liked shadowform.
Ive hoped they might give it an alternate DPS capable build using more holy but this looks like it could work?
Thoughts appreciated.

Definetely not going to be possible. That would make for way too much healing with attonement.
Even if you could pick a talent that would prevent you from healing, the rotation for dps is way too simple compared to any dps in the game imo.

Im curious is that based on reviewing the trees or opinion based on current as there are skill in there that would seem to address that.
For example, inner light and shadow, could work as a toggle between doing dps and straight healing.
No offense meant, please dont misunderstand, id just like to know the basis of the comment.

It’s still junk. Why bother?

This exists in rhe game right now in pvp. I’ve been asking to get it for pve for a while in here to help dps and mana. Disc atm isnt the top dps healer in m+ (not that it should necessarily be) but we’re loosing our main dmg dealing ability in boon so it’s hard to say where we’ll be on that scale in DF.

I’m not taking offense. I just don’t beleive that it’s going to be the case. If disc can output as much as a regular dps, it’s going to be meta accross the board becausr it’s a huge benefit to the group to bring one…

Thats the point isnt it, why does it have to be?
For all its classes and specs the game currently has no holy ranged dps.
Disc used to be that, why would it be so terrible to give it the ability to be a decent viable dps as an option?

So basicaly a rotation that consists of applying a dot and spamming smite and penance on cooldown isn’t exactly complicated.

Sure there are a few other skills in the toolkit but it remains a really simple rotation because your main focus remains healing…

I don’t think Disc ever was that. Holy at some points had some ways to generate OK damage (never enough that it was a REAL DPS option, but that’s an aside), but Disc was always the more support-y damage reduction flavor of healer next to Holy’s pure throughput style.

And the problem is that the spec is centered around damage to heal. If it did enough damage to be a viable DPS, it would also be doing great healing alongside it. It’s asking for a huge balance headache.

As for why it won’t in DF specifically, it’s because of disc’s aura nerfs. Disc as a whole currently has a flat -6% damage to everything it does, and a -31% damage to Smite, specifically I believe. Inner Light and Shadow won’t solve that, really - the majority of it goes to nullifying the 6% aura nerf we already have. Add that to the damage numbers being very much healer damage numbers, and it’s just not going to be viable.

(Also Disc has no AoE to speak of without taking Holy Nova, and Holy Nova is terrible AoE damage).

Perhaps, im sure you know it better than i, but couldn’t that be addressed by adjusting those skills?
For example; combine dark archangel and inner light/shadow into one skill that further buffs damage but nerfs atonement or restricts it only to yourself.
IDK youre probably right its just something ive hoped for that i could actually dps without being forced into shadowform.

I don’t get why they can’t just leave this alone and nerf the atonement healing instead or something - although I’m sure it’s harder to balance atonement as a flat percentage of damage-to-healing vs nerfing the individual damage abilities. It just makes open world stuff like questing, dailies, etc. feel terrible. Like right now at 270 IL Holy can almost 2 shot normal mobs with just Holy Fire and Chastise and Disc you’re just sitting there pumping away with Smite and Penance until you can struggle your way to execute range.

It doesn’t matter what Discipline used to be. It only matters what high key runners and mythic raiders think. What? Are you new to the priest forums? They run the show and everyone else only has opinions.

Say all you want here, nothing will change because nothing matters.

1 Like

Oh I agree. The aura nerfs seemed REALLY random and came at the start of SL seemingly in response to Disc being horribly overpowered in nathria raid testing. But the problem was entirely Spirit Shell. It just seemed like Blizzard really wanted Spirit Shell to get in, because they already promised it or something.

Who really knows? But yeah, aura nerfs feel bad.

I literally quit playing Disc in early SL because of the Maw. It was an unfun struggle to take any of the normal mobs there down with the awful damage it was doing. But then yeah you’re right I’d raid heal and Spirit Shell was an absolute nuke and it got even worse for Disc.

1 Like

They can’t buff our damage, otherwise Atonement would be broken.

Yup, devs literally brought this on themselves.

You could have a more DPS-heavy build, but on average I would not expect to do more than a third - 40% at most - of the damage a dps-specced player does, even if you take all the damage-oriented talents.

Your AOE in particular will be limited to doing decent damage once every every 15 seconds with Wicked Star, and then your dps being anemic in-between.

Your single-target will be confined to Shadow Covenant windows, which will last all of 11 seconds every 30 seconds (and most of that damage really frontloaded into the first 3 GCDs), with your dps again being anemic in-between. And if you use Shadow Covenant on cooldown you won’t have Mindgames up for every other one.

Penance with Harsh Discipline will do amazingly good damage per mana outside of Shadow Covenant, and your Shadow Covenant windows will have some decent burst, but rest assured that Disc’s damage will be limited by design to a fraction of what a dps spec can do.

When healing is dependent on your damage, but your damage sucks so they buff your damage but nerf the mechanic (Atonement) that turns your damage to healing.

1 step forward
1 step backward

I wouldn’t even care if they just left the damage alone but added some arbitrary field called “Atonement Healing Output” for each spell and just gave each a unique percentage of how much translates into Atonement so they can fine-tune it that way.

I just looked at your raiding and M+ keys; they’re not going to care about your posts.

Me? I wouldn’t either if I were them I’m just talking about how it’s felt at different points throughout the expansion doing things that aren’t M15+ compared to swapping over to Holy. I think among my 3 priests the furthest I ever cared to go was +14 and a few bosses in Heroic Nathria then I just goofed around on melee DPS for a year heh

“Feel” isn’t quantifiable to them. If it parses and logs comparable to other healers in the same content, then nothing’s going to change.