Disc Priest tips? (M+)

Hey everyone,

Just got to playing disc priest. After being in the 2400-2500 range on my main heals, I wanted to get into something different.

I don’t see much current / reliable info on more “advanced” tips for Disc. If anyone could give any insight to this post, I’d very much appreciate it!

There are some immediately glaring challenges I have so far noticed with Disc priests. I may or may not even be using spells correctly, but I really want to improve.

1. Best way to handle consistent heavy damage? Atonement feels nice when you get in a good flow, but it feels like its just not enough healing to keep everyone up throughout a prolonged heavy damage fight. I use penance defensively in this situation. It also feels bad to spam shadow mend during this.

2. Good rotation for optimal damage? For a spec that emphasizes healing through the damage you deal, the damage feels very underwhelming (i guess it cant have good damage through this logic). I am mainly applying Purge The Wicked on all targets in the pull, and keeping it active on them throughout the fight. Using penance, PW: Solace, Mind blast, smite spam.

3. Best tips to apply atonements? I mainly use PW:S to apply quick atonements on single targets (I will do my best to keep atonement always on the tank). I will switch to shadowmend if I want to apply atonement to a target that also needs a boost in hp. I will use radiance if multiple targets need atonement.

4. Penance usage? I will use penance offensively if targets have atonement on them and are moderately healthy. I will use it defensively if a target is lower and needs immediate HP. I am using this on CD.

5. Rapture usage? Do you just spam this during the duration on a target(s) that needs it?

6. Mind Sear Usage? Is it a good idea to damage with Mind Sear for atonement healing? I’m thinking a really big pulls this might be good, but is it worth it on an average pull?

My thoughts overall are: I’m having fun with Disc, and I feel motivated to get better at it. But that being said, it feels kind of underwhelming a lot of the time.

Some of these questions are probably very nooby, so I appreciate any info / insight.

Be Kyrian. You can pump quite a bit if you are. Also, use Mind Sear when there are three or more mobs. Also, vers and crit are what you want vs mastery if you put a priority on damage vs. healing.

As for your other spells, use solace and penance just off cd. Mind you for penance, defensively it is great if you have one of “those guys” in your group–so you might want to sit on it. Mind Blast can be good but it uses more mana.

You could run Schism (in M+) but most don’t.

Otherwise just dot and smite.

Shadow mend is a very strong heal, but chews through a ton of mana. Sometimes just one is enough, other times you may have to spam it. Rapture is also great vs heavy damage (mind you it has a CD) but if you spam that it will also kill your mana. Also, Kyrian Boon (following on a Radiance cast) is an incredibly powerful heal that does great damage as well. Radiance can do some healing but it also gets mana on your group fast.

Final note: Disc is incredibly stat dependent.

1 Like

Disc tends to have a harder time ‘catching up’ when party members are heavily damaged. Using rapture/shielding preemptively is something you can do to avoid falling behind. Disc requires good knowledge of the dungeons- which being 2400-2500 I would assume is not an issue.

Being Kyrian with a full Mikanikos tree/Kyrian legendary gives you access to Boon really often, and when Boon is down, you can use Rapture, etc. Rotating CDs and anticipating damage is how you stay ahead. I can’t recommend Kyrian enough right now, because Boon is just really strong.

Sometimes you just have to spam Shadowmend. It takes gobs of mana, but it is a powerful spell.

For single target, pretty much. Mind Blast takes a bit more mana so adjust as needed. Remember that Penance spreads Purge the Wicked, so you can do all targets minus one. Damage is really nice during Boon if you’re Kyrian. Just make sure you are always using Ascended Blast on CD and filling with whatever else is needed

I usually apply with PW:S if I expect the absorb will be used, Shadow Mend/Radiance otherwise. PW:S isn’t super strong outside of Rapture, so don’t overdo it

Yes pretty much. If someone in the group appears to enjoy taking avoidable damage, or if you know you’re going to have to move soon, you may want to hold it briefly.

Yup. You can use it to keep a tank or other party member alive when they’re taking heavy damage and SM spam won’t cut it (generally prefer Pain Supp before Rapture for heavy damage on one target), or you can rotate it around the group during periods of heavy group damage. (Thrash, Furious Thrashing, Rage, etc.)

You use Mind Sear mostly for the damage. It doesn’t do more healing on bigger pulls, since only the first mob hit will trigger Atonement, not all of them.

3 Likes

Thank you for this!

Thank you very much for this! Learned some things here, appreciate it

Below +15.
Pick mana orb power, spam shadowmend, shoot explosives sometimes, maybe watch netflix on the side.

+18-22.
Use everything in your kit. If you don’t have to spam shadowmend then don’t, It’s a waste of mana.
Use boons of ascended with Mikanikos soulbind.

Above 23+
Play paladin.

Don’t play Disc on grevious especially in +20 and up, It’s suboptimal. But, if you don’t care then go try for yourself.

2 Likes