Disc priest question

I know it’s prolly not the best beginner healer but are there a lot of buttons to press to be good?

You press 5 buttons usually. The rest are cds.
Radiance, Shield/Shadowmend, Penance, Mindblast and Smite/mind sear.

The hard part is how to use them, caus you have to predict damage.

1 Like

Oh dang really. So all the extra damage spells you don’t use? Is it cuz of the mana strain. Sorry switched to my priest lol

What extra damage spells? Schism? That’s optional except in raid.

We use all of our abilities regularly. There are no spells in our kit that aren’t used regularly except Mind Vision which is obviously flavor spell…

Holy is the spec with a lot of bloat.

I think holy nova and the one where it’s channeled and does an aoe damage effect I forget the name of it. Do you usually not use those

The AOE damage one (mind seer) is used heavily in Mythic Dungeons for the high amount of atonement healing on big packs. Holy Nova is used to kicking enemies out of stealth in dungeons as well.

Mind sear right? Yeah you use it when there nothing to heal.

Holy nova is useless for Disc in PvE. In pvp you can pop stealth with it I guess.

Oh okay cool. Guess I should just shut up and try it out lolol thanks guys!

Disc is the hardest healer to play, and some say the hardest class/spec of all in the game.

Disc also has a lot of buttons, because you have a dps set and a healing set. And you have healing buttons and damage reduction buttons and CDs.

If you don’t know the damage patterns forget healing as a disc priest or start with really easy content. I’d say learn to play a ranged dps (disc is a ranged dpser that heals via damage) and learn how to dps on a ranged class (like a destro warlock for example) and then a ranged healer (like a holy priest) first. I had played both for years and even then, learning took quite a bit of practice.

And I wouldnt say holy nova is useless. You can heal and dps with it when you are on the move. I spam it when I am moving because you cant really do much else–except maybe put out shields, penance and dot things up. But sometimes you cant really do those things easily–like this week on a big pull and when, with your back turned, you are fleeing or you are backpedaling away from spawning spiteful mobs. And as for Mind Sear, you dont use it when you are not healing. You use it whenever there are more than two mobs. It does pretty great damage. And if you have atonement out, it does some healing–not a lot, but some. Well, that’s how I do it anyhow, but maybe that is a bit advanced.

I wouldn’t be discouraged by the amount of buttons disc has you can Macro your Healing Spells with your dps Spells. It saves some room. Via Help/Harm macros I have Bubble/Pain macro’d together, and Mend/Smite…etc. Then there is addons that also help.

Big thing with Disc is learning when the Damage is coming, so you can be proactive.

I’m far from a disc expert but disc doesn’t really have that many buttons. It’s a tough spec no doubt but the difficulty comes from other things, not the number of buttons.

the only damage spells that are "optional "are mind sear and holy nova. but smite, mind blast, penance, shadow word pain and schism has its function and are routinely used.

you all forgot solace, divine star and halo tho last 2 are optional untill 9.1.5

I thought that divine star and halo were pretty meh because they only count the damage from the first target hit. Because of that it was better to take the other talent that gave %damage split between people with atonement?

youre totally right i forgot solace. halo and DS i forget they’re spells. and what talent row they are on.

well you better remember in 9.1.5 because you will prob be using them :slight_smile: