Disc priest 9.1 raiding

This spec I don’t enjoy playing is poorly designed because it doesn’t have built in button redundancy.

My spec is much better designed, because it features spells which do the exact same things in several scenarios. Does a spec even truly exist if it doesn’t have buttons that I’ll never, ever hit unless I’m forced to? Truly not, I say! After all, a player doing homework to find out how certain spells are so mana inefficient they’re a waste to cast is truly a great measure of skill! The choice of not casting it is a true expression of skill from that player. A masterclass in non-linear game design - a topic that has nothing to do with what I’m talking about but I for some reason can’t help myself from mentioning it anyway!

I’m not really talking about skill-cap though… Yes when talking about playing at the absolute highest level of play all of those factors apply to any healer, the reality is that VERY few people actually play at that level. I’m talking about what it takes to play the spec to a level in which you are being effective or “good” even.

While every spec benefits from anticipation and encounter knowledge, the extend to how much it matters is what varies. In most cases that’s more of an advanced thing that you can start doing to get that little extra and it does make you a better player, but it’s not at all required to be generally effective and you can generally just wing-it and produce effective healing. The difference with Disc is that all of this is required from the start to even be effective with the spec, this is what gives it a higher entry barrier and it’s a more difficult spec to pick-up and play (not really for skill-cap).

For skill-cap I actually don’t think any spec is really higher than the rest or doesn’t matter if one is tbh, spec specific mechanics don’t really matter or make much of a difference for someone able to play at that level (which again, almost no-one does). This is also why you see the very best players being able to easily swap between different specs and master them really quickly.

But going back to the main discussion of wether the spec is well designed or not, you seem to be married to the idea that you need 3 or 4 different spells that essentially do the same thing to have a well-designed spec (with different coefficients in terms of mana, healing, and cast time ofc which leads them to have different priority). That’s indeed an acceptable model for a spec like Holy which focuses on doing one thing which is direct reactive healing and almost all of your healing comes from that then ofc you need multiple tools for that.

Imho if we talk about specs that are a bit less conventional and get their healing form a more diverse approach, like Disc which gets some from direct healing, some from DPSing, and some from prevention and mitigation. Then you will obviously not have as many tools for direct healing as the spec that specializes on that.

Disc is imho a well designed spec because with what looks like a very basic kit: PW:Shield, PW:Radiance, Shadowmend, Penance, and your DPS rotation you are able to cover pretty much every scenario (oh and your CDs, cooldown usage is pretty big for Disc). Using less tools to accomplish the same thing as others imho shows a more “elegant” solution to the toolkit design problem and it’s not because the few spells are overpowered or anything but because they come together nicely and are flexible enough to achieve that.

And extra points because despite having a pretty basic kit it actually allows for a great deal of skill-expression, often more than what other specs have, again it’s not from the kit itself being complex but from factors like being a proactive healing spec and getting its throughput from different areas (some from direct healing, some from DPSing, some from mitigation).

Now I don’t think a spec being “easier” or “harder” to play has much to do with being well designed or not, some specs are intended to be easier and some to be a bit more challenging… But if the argument is that Disc is poorly designed because there’s no room for skill expression then explain how can there be no room for skill expression yet be the spec that considered harder to pick-up and play (that’s not me saying it, it’s basically consensus).

Been playing disc in raid for 3 years at a CE level… I hate how it feels in ptr, hard to say if I’ll continue to stay subbed if the spec continues to be mismanaged. Don’t care much for other specs and don’t feel like playing a poorly designed class.

Its the same design as last xpacs at its core, the only thing really added in this xpac is SS. So is your issue SS or the tuning of the spec without it?

The honest question is can Disc even stand on its own raid healing without SS.

1 Like

My view is, for ma and pa disc, then yes. For world first and top 100 raiding, prob not.

For Evangelism the healing is meh, the damage is fine, the mana is bad. It’s more engaging with more frequent ramp windows.

For Spirit Shell the healing is great once a minute and then you don’t do any, the damage is fine, the mana is ok. It is an absolute snooze fest playing this spec. You might as well just be a dps with a two button rotation.

The entire spec uses Mindgames as a crutch. If you are Night Fae then it’s a great mana cooldown but you lose a good chunk of atonement healing from not having Mindgames.

I’ve basically put Disc on the shelf until the issues are addressed.

Holy is fine but I’d rather play my favorite spec. Mistweaver is a close second to disc in terms of my favorites but that’s also poorly designed.

I’m just playing Shadow for now. If things don’t get better at some point then I’m not sure what my plan is but I am kind of at the end of my rope in terms of dealing with design issues.

1 Like

Are we all going to pretend disc wasn’t meta before SS?

1 Like

Literally all of BFA+ 2nd tier onwards of legion.

The evangelism playstyle has hit a large amount of nerfs throughout bfa to the point that it is hard to tell if it will be relevant at all anymore. Disc damage has certainly been nerfed to irrelevance.

2 Likes

Disc does not look fun at all to me 9.1. I just can’t stand what having SS has done to the spec. I really liked how evangelism in BFA felt like you we’re actually helping with Dps in Nya. But the atonement healing wasn’t a trickle.

I think we’ll have to wait to see what the meta ends up being with more mythic testing. Hpally is still bonkers good and r shammy are staying the same so, their spot is guaranteed.

Agreed. Nice mog btw!

1 Like

Thank you frennn. I like Void/dark priest mogs. :ghost:

The damage nerfs they added in beta were to account for beta spirit shell, not current spirit shell. It’s 20% slower to build to a much lower cap with a 50% added CD and reduced mana regen as a SS priest since you can’t cap without Mindbender and you can’t cast Mindbender on CD anymore so it lines up. They need to un-nerf other areas already right now, regardless of whether SS is in or not.