Disc Needs Buffs

ORRR its based upon healing as disc for 12 years through the varied generations of disc. pws spam, DA, SS all led to disc people overpowered in that time and when i say toxic im talking about healing in general. Other healers didnt have fun, they didnt enjoy the game. All you prob care about is topping meters but thats ego not caring about healing as a whole.

Right now. Which was not the go to through the majority of CN prog. Which was venthyr hit and forget. And it was friggin easy to do.

Not really the definition of toxic. Thats your personal dissatisfaction

kinda overlooking that disc got nerfed in beta before SS came into play. Disc was doing good damage and healing in beta.

Gonna do it:

:stares in Holy Priest:

4 Likes

I’ll reiterate what I say on posts like these that broadly deal with disc design. The problem with disc is it’s trying to go in too many different directions. Is it primarily an absorb healer or a damage-to-heal healer? All the other problems with disc flow downhill from this core design issue. They should pick one and go full throttle in that direction.

If it should primarily be an absorb healer, they should cut atonement, redo mastery to buff absorbs like it used to, and buff PW: shield.

If it should primarily be a damage-to-heal healer, then Blizz should cut Spirit Shell and Rapture, buff the damage considerably (but not at HPal levels), and bring back Light’s Wrath in some form. Replace Spirit Shell with a talent that buffs atonement xfer in 5-man content.

I like disc in its current state–mostly anyhow. If Blizzard just brought something into the game like Fish Feasts, so you could mana up fast in M+ without silly anima powers like fast eats and mana orbs–then I would be pretty happy. And if they nerfed H paladin damage to bring it more in line with other healers, then I would be super happy.

My two cents.

100% agree with this comment, I love the state of disc right now and the interaction with boon and it’s leggo.

I think we could use a minor dps buff and some way to recover mana. Maybe smite could give us 0.2% mana instead of spend it.

Also I have a crazy idea to change a little atonement. I would make it a hot that stores our damage and heal over 4 sec instead of an instant heal, that way it will be more efficient (less overheal) and we could do damage and then apply atonement.
Something like fire mages ignite but with healing.
Also they could replace leniance or spirit shell with a talent that apply all the healing in the hot inmediatly for a burst.

1 Like

I actually plan on trying out Disc for raid healing come 9.1.5. I absolutely disdained the whole spirit shell playstyle last raid tier and how raid leaders were trying to pressure me to do it.

Sadly atm if your doing runs like i am with too many healers, then SS is still the way to go unless you want 65% overhealing. At least kyrian SS is more engaging then venthyr SS

Hello,

So I 100% agree here but I would not say 4 to 1 but 2 to 1 is better. I can keep up with lower geared holy priests but atonement sucks vs direct healing. I keep up better using direct healing then using DC priests how they were designed.

Blizzard please address like you did shadow, though I would prefer shadow to have mana like mages and warlocks but alas can’t have it all.

You raid LFR and heroic. The dont buff nerf for those levels of raiding mate. In those formats with larger raid teams a hpriest will often but not always beat you. Thats fact even when disc was the top mythic healer in the game, which we currently arent. 20 man that changes since disc doesnt scale above 20 really

For Heroic <= 20 people use spirit shell. Evangelism is a waist of hps. Not enough damage to justify Evangelism the burst will be mostly wasted. Anything >20 people holy will outscale with uncapped AOE healing. Disc shines in mythic raiding. Even barrier (because it’s DR) is stronger in Mythic.

I agree with most of this stuff. Another good change would be to slightly increase the duration of penance or give us another other abilities to apply it to the entire raid

You necro’d this from a year ago to not even know what the abilities are called lol

I like disc currently but i agree in some points.

Personally i prefer divine star over purge the wicked. I ran both and when played optimally swp+divine star was far superior to purge the wicked.

I personally think contrition is trash and unless buffed significantly and made baseline id never even consider it.

In higher keys i have atonement blanketed so i personally find sins of many is a dumb talent for my play style. Id love to see it on the same teir with purge the wicked so i could take both divine star and purge.

I agree that smite should be significantly buffed. Holy smite should not do more damage than discipline smite imo. Penance does a lot of damage with the legendary or harsh discipline so i dont think it needs a buff.

Im just shy of 2600 io, as a disc priest. I dont find healing to be that low. Boon+ radiance is enough to fudge most mechanics. Id like to see shadowmend buffed in two ways. The mana cost should be reduced. The heal should be increased. With flash concentration priests are hitting 50k+ heals. Why does my showdowmend crit for 35k and cost more mana?

Mana is my only complaint. I run mana regen trinkets.

Because flash concentration is broken and resonant words are stacking on hpriest’s tierset making heal extremely broken when holy word weaving.

Shadowmend isn’t an analogue to heal - really nothing is, because heal is generally overtuned right now and that power is mostly going away in Dragonflight.

Also contrition is highly underrated in the current dungeon healing meta IMO. Been playing with it and it’s a lifesaver in many situations - even though I’m gonna be skipping it in the DF trees.

The DF buffs to Disc priest seem fairly good right now, but we’ll see come tuning if they stay that way.

I get that shadowmend and heal arent meant to be directly compared, but at the end of the day shadowmend is your filler oh no heal for disc, for holy its heal. I get heal is empowered but the disparity between our two go to spells is huge. Disc’s variation hits for half the amount and is almost twice the mana.

I can see how it may be helpful for when you use a defensive penance on a tank when low mana or in an oh no moment but I ran contrition in a few 20+s to try it out and it does less healing than my mechagon ring proc.

Edited: mixed up talent rows in my head

Well no, it doesn’t. Defensive penance + Contrition just heals more flat out with no contest so long as you can make use of the defensive penance. Contrition scales poorly with atonement count, but dungeons obviously cap at 5. Keep in mind, contrition heals everyone with atonement (including the penance target).

So you’re talking 72% sp healing from contrition, where offensive penance will do 100% sp healing total. Now add the 375% sp healing that 3 bolts of penance does, and you’ve got 447% sp healing versus 100% sp healing total. Contrition/defensive penance also benefit from twist, so that doesn’t really mean anything in the grand scheme.

Contrition’s trade-off is you lose offensive penance damage each time you try to make use of it.

Rule of thumb if you’re playing contrition is TPO should be used offensively the majority of the time (unless needed), and otherwise penance can be used defensively and mind sear will make up the majority of your damage.

I generally don’t recommend everyone play it, but it does make several bosses a lot easier. Moroes in particular is far easier on your mana if you just defensive penance his garrote targets instead of trying to keep up with atonement. My Tyrannical +20 on lower I ended moroes at ~30% mana, and I was playing necrolord, which is the most mana hungry of the covenants.

Also keep in mind I’m talking about +20 to +23ish, which is what I’ve played up to on Disc.

Ill run a few 20s and log them with contrition. If you break the math down i guess it makes sense, i just remember being majorly underwhelmed by it and my dps going down a lot.

Also, i edited my post. I was mixing up the position of contrition and castigation in my head.

Yup, keep in mind contrition is good for safety - not damage. I wouldn’t ever run it if you feel comfortable with the key and are trying to maximize damage in the key. But if your healing is struggling or you know something in the dungeon causes problems for you healing-wise it’s not bad.

I feel it can be a decent choice for pvp tbh. You dpenance a lot in pvp making it a decent choice there.

Dunno for pve if I’ll take it. Will surely depend on how it’s tuned vs the healing requirements early DF :man_shrugging:

Ran a few keys and its consistantly below 3% of my healing done. Penance is my #1 damage ability so i dont think contition suites my play style.

Dps down over 1k