Disabling XP Gains on 110+ Characters

Blizzard: We want you to play our island content.
Also Blizzard: We see you found a way to make normal islands fun, and we don’t want that.

Of all the people at 110, how many are really selling runs? How many just want to be able to efficiently farm a little bit while solo? How many almost exclusively pvp or run actual 110 content? And even if people are selling runs or carrying their friends, who cares? It isn’t cutting the leveling time by 90% or anything. It is maybe cutting the leveling time in half, and I’d wager the vast majority of people getting power leveled have already done your garbage quest lines more than once.

17 Likes

So this is what our tax payer gold goes to?

6 Likes

So instead of nerfing xp gains from Island expections where this is happening, the devs would rather hit everyone that benefits even remotely from locking xp at 115-110. That’s stupid. Why are the devs so insistent on holding on to this for expeditions when it makes zero sense to have xp gain there in the FIRST place. Yet another pointless band aid fix to an issue just like currency was for azerite armor, because the devs wanted so badly to hold on to the current azerite armor system before finally admitting they’re going to change it later on. Sorry you have to be the messenger for idiotic decisions like this, Ythisens.

3 Likes

My issue with this is. I was planning on disabling XP gains on my Nightborne Monk once she hit 110 so she could get her class mount at level 110. I wasn’t planning on abusing the system I just wanted to that particular content at the level it was meant to be done on.

3 Likes

Id say no less than three with a lot of raised voices… and at least one sitting in the corner rocking back and forth screaming “Its The End”

2 Likes

I’m not going to complain. It’s your game and you can do what you want.

I’m just going to tell you what an epic failure of a decision this is.

I’m a 119 Community Owner who has seen a Pvp oriented community grow to over 200 players in as little as two months.

We did Timewalking raids like Black Temple and Ulduar and completed them.
We did Pvp premades pretty much all day long.
We did World Events.

And this is just Wrath/Cata all over again. History repeating itself, all the wrong decisions being made.

119 is the only reason I was even subbed to the game. The community was amazing and still is, but this will undoubtedly wreck it.

It was super fun while it lasted.

17 Likes

I’m happy to see that blizzard is working SOOO HARD for the community and is making AMAZING changes to the things that are really struggling in the game currently. A small group is using their subscription cost and playtime in the game to play with people they know in order to get through the TEDIOUS LEVELING PROCESS faster. Probably because leveling a 3rd/4th/5th alt is just unbearable to do when all the quests are completely Linear now and you’ve seen the content several times. Maybe put your resources into failed game design that is currently upsetting players and why your sub count is ticking down more and more every day. Maybe put your time and attention into the NOT FUN AT ALL Azerite system. Or Maybe put it into class balance more. Or maybe IDK instead of just ignoring the community that use to love this game and is slowly starting to despise it more and more, address the true issues on why people are quitting. You are acting like a bully on a playground to the subscribers that have paid hundreds/thousands of dollars to your company through the years. Blizzard/Activision has literally taken a position of " Play our game the way we want, or don’t play it at all". Blizzard is really starting to disgust me this past year. Maybe realize your game is doing the worst ever right now on backlash and fix things that will make it better, not just upset players more.

8 Likes

But, players would play a longer time if they were allowed to stop leveling to experience previous content at-level, right? So how is that the reason?

I honestly don’t get this. It makes no sense to me, anyway, that a 110 would power level someone to 120. I’m clearly missing a key component of their reasoning here.

I know that I wanted to stop at 110 so I could do pathfinder and spend time luxuriating for a bit in Legion content because I missed the expansion. I wanted to do the fishing and get the pole and get flight and do all the dungeons and quest and get the rep for allied races…all of it. It would seriously have increased my time spent ingame. So I don’t understand what the point of this is.

5 Likes

“Hold my beer…er…my non-gmo low fat caramel and cupcake latte”

6 Likes

Blizzard,

are you seriously trying to compete for the worst company of the year in America for 2018? You have a tough competition against EA and Bethesda, but I think you have good chance!

17 Likes

Well done Activision, time to unsub, thanks for ruining the one fun thing I liked to do

9 Likes

Are you kidding me? Twinking through expeditions with 2 other twink friends to see how fast we could go has been the last thing I’ve enjoyed and liked about this game. We didn’t boost, we didn’t destroy anything, we had hours and hours of fun.

Raiding isn’t fun without tier which was taken away, m+ are boring, pvp is so unbalanced it isn’t funny (getting one shot by overpowered shamans and rogues is a much bigger issue than twinking). I have 3 twinks I’ve just had a blast on and hearing this is beyond disappointing.

There are so many better ways to handle twinks too. Make it so if you’re above 110 with xp-off you can’t queue for bgs since that really is a problem? Nerf us a bit? Taking it away tho is just bs.

7 Likes

why is blizzard so against alternate methods to having fun than the max-level burnout in a month crap?

11 Likes

I had fun gearing my 110 DH through M / H Antorus runs I STARTED AND LEAD. Hell I was doing my DPS and mechanics better at 110 than some leveling players to 120. This is utter garbage.

5 Likes

I think they noticed how many people are completely disinterested in BfA content and are locking XP and doing old content.

I’m sure they hate that for a variety of reasons not the least being it just makes everything worse for the existing BfA players when half the pop quits the game and another 25% only participates in sub-120 content. There is no way I believe this is being done just to curb some powerleveling as there are much more elegant and nuanced fixes to that specifically.

5 Likes

I haven’t used the XP lock much at all and I don’t care if they break power-leveling, but this is an awful change for the players that use it legitimately.

Hurting the game for many because of the actions of a few is not the way to go. Especially as there is an easy alternate solution that many have already mentioned:

Make Island Expeditions (and dungeons?) require 111 and turn off the XP lock for only 111+.

Legion was a great expac (imo) and there’s plenty of reasons to want to stay there, even for someone like me who is also enjoying BFA.

2 Likes

And as a result, plenty of folks are choosing not to play at all. Go figure.

I don’t think I’ve ever turned XP off, but I get why folks do and I have trouble understanding why The Powers That Be seemed determined to limit the ways that players can choose to play the game; especially if the end result is to keep people playing, and therefore paying for, the game.

Dear Blizzard,

If I wanted to play an action adventure game that has only one path to the end, I’d play that sort of game. What caused me to fall in love with World of Warcraft almost immediately when I started playing was the open world and the wide range of player choices. The more those choices dwindle, the less appealing this game is to me.

Sincerely,

Me, a person who has never let my sub lapse, or even considered letting it lapse, since I started playing in 2010, but now find the thought crossing my mind more than somewhat occasionally.

4 Likes

Seriously? I have it turned off because I’d rather play as a 111 powerhouse than watch myself grow progressively weaker as I level. But hey, I guess now I can just not play my Horde toons at all.

9 Likes

I guess I’m confused… these continued bandaid fixes have already bitten the company in the past, and yet I can almost guarantee this particular bandaid fix will be forgotten about in the future.

The main thing I don’t get is that in the past four months, there’s been no effort to fix it, and now it turns into a “well we’re just gonna turn it off” motion. Why not address it correctly and fix it properly right now so you don’t give a nightmare to future coders?

6 Likes

I used all 50 likes just on this topic.

14 Likes