Different Perspectives & Unreliable Narrators

He used it to ruin Elder Scrolls lore and cover up his whacked out drugged up writing. His fans are basically a cult. Can’t have a decent lore discussion thanks to him.

Unreliable narrators can be a fantastic tool in a writer’s arsenal and can be genuinely interesting in implementation. However, given what we’ve had from the story so far, I’d hazard that the writers themselves are unreliable narrators.

6 Likes

A little off topic but something I wanted to touch on,

I’m really not sure the Alliance has a monopoly on Western culture. The Trolls certainly have an interpretation of Caribbean and Mesoamerican culture glazed over them and the Tauren scream American Indian. But the Orcs remind me of pre-Christain Germanic and Nordic history more than anything else.

Hell there’s a Bloodaxe Legion of the Dark Horde. Which I think is the writers coming up with scary sounding stuff and not a sly refernce to the 10th century Norwegian King of the same name. But the parallels are there.

Likewise Goblins, Belves and Forsaken all have a lot of themes but none of them strike me as not Western. I’m not saying you don’t have a point but if anything most of the Horde comes off as a more honest expression of Western ‘values’ than an absence of them.

No, not a monopoly on it overall. Just that most of the moralizing in the game comes from the Alliance, which are curiously is rooted in the more positive ideals of a 21st century middle class person from the US/EU. Characters usually get villainized when it diverges from these ideals and redeemed when they conform. Which I don’t mean as some kind of condemnation of the ideals themselves.

Just that unreliable narration and more subjective interpretations can help make that kind of moralizing seem less heavy handed and curiously out of place.

2 Likes