Devalue healers in BGs/Add Stronger Countermeasures Against Them

Title. I think we can all agree that healers hold too much weight on a team in a BG. As such, I’d like to propose a method to permanently reduce their importance by means of introducing competition. No this does not mean we’re gonna nerf healing numbers or let the reins on DPS go. Rather this method just makes a healer’s tools for survival useless to their team and themselves.

I’d like to propose the distribution of Shadow Duel as a baseline ability to some classes but with Lay on Hands levels of strength so that it may not be used in arenas. Same rules as sub’s Shadowy Duel applies with the added conditions of there is no time limit, the only way out is with the other player’s corpse or a hearthstone, and that the fighting area is about the size of a Ring of Peace so one person doesn’t kite the other forever.

As for which specs/classes to give it to. It comes down to Monk of DK for thematic and practical reasons. The DPS specs’ healing for both of those specs aren’t negligible, but are dicey enough to keep things up in the air. If I had to choose between one or the other I’d give it to monk because they have one spec that the ability will more or less be useless on unless there’s the niche scenario of a potato MW sniping out a better healer and keeping both of them in limbo forever. Just know that i’d rather both classes have it for wider and faster mass distribution and a faster effect on player behavior in game.

Bonus: This is also a silver bullet for multi-boxers.

Edit 1:
So after some time to get this thread going it seems that the big reasons why people are opposed to this idea are that either.

A. It’d work.
B. It’s unnecessary as there are already tools in the game to deal with healers.
C. It’s not the course of action to take.

I can understand those that stated C. If I had to choose between if Blizz actually fixing specs/classes or putting this in, I’d choose to have Blizz actually fix the specs/classes. However, that’s a big if, and this is an ironic out.

I can also see the perspective of those that stated B, but I do not agree with them that it’s enough. While there is an abundance of CC in the game, it is in my opinion that they are just dice rolls if at all based on the scenario. I consider myself risk averse, so I proposed this to avoid dice rolls. Just straight up do you have the numbers/combo?

And then there are the people who stated A and/or rather more or less memed and proposed a lot of hyperbole. To which I say, thanks for the bumps?

Edit 2:
More feedback to work with.

It seems many are under the impression that the goal of this proposal is meant to let dps 1v1 healers to death at their leisure. I can’t blame them for thinking that given the nature of the spell I proposed. I understand healers aren’t meant to be 1v1ed. They’re designed that way.

However, I’d like to clarify that the idea isn’t for a dps to 1v1 a healer resulting in the healer’s death. The target is the death of a healer’s time. The idea is to let dps put healers through what healers put dps through and vice versa with the goal of potentially letting a dps leash a healer for entire BGs similar to what healers do now.

It’s a little funny to think about. People don’t bat an eye when a good healer takes up a significant amount of a team’s dps time to either put down or just keep pressured. However, when I propose an idea to let one dps do the same thing to one healer by forcing them into a different scenario, people freak out.

3 Likes

:joy:

Oh my this idea.

5 Likes

What is going on. My brain hurts

9 Likes

Was something unclear?

Yes. Mainly the why. Who wants this

9 Likes

Can blizzard add an ability to the game that 1 shots monks when they use karma, since I play shaman I think it should be added to shaman.

5 Likes

No man, as a resto druid I want an Insta cast spell that heals for 100% health, is off the gcd, no cooldown and is aoe. Seems only fair.

I should go make my own post with this request

1 Like

Can only be used in bear form though

That’s rough. But I’ll take it in the name of fairness

To devalue healers in BGs. And in a way put dps in healer’s shoes and vice versa. Because it’s ultimately going to boil down to how much of the healer’s time a dps can kill while on the other hand how hard can a healer kill a dps trying to survive.

Basically already exists with BoP and other immunities. Pity ToD is going back to execute only in SL else there’d be more of a case to let ToD kill immunities.

I read the first sentence. Some people enjoy playing a healer so that’s like them reducing your damage output because a healer doesn’t like it.

It’s funny you mention that because it basically already happened. Unless I imagined hidden scaling and scaling abilities down in PvP.

This doesn’t devalue healers, this devalues gameplay. Who wants their own healer to be taken out of action without being able to help.

Theres already an abundance of cc, interrupts, silences to deal with. We don’t need this nonsense

Could be funny to find someone in world pvp, duel them and just fly up in the air and watch them be stuck in the circle for ever!

Or find the efc and just lock them in a room and never let them get out… kind of like when ROP lasted awhile you could take a few monks in to a bg and close off a room for ever.

1 Like

I’d say their gameplay holds the same weight. It just comes out in a different form.

Two things. For one Blizz took away the good part of my spec’s peeling ability. And two I’d rather have a healer that can handle themself and smoke a dps in a 1v1 rather than a weak one I have to worry about while worrying about sniping enemy healers.

Are dice rolls. Especially in BGs. Even moreso if healers are together.

Last I checked, you can’t fly in combat.

That’d just be a detriment to your own team unless you could solo the fc.

Trolling my own team is also good though?

2 Likes

It was a good joke while it lasted.

But seriously, this is 100% going to be implemented because you made a forum post requesting it. I promise.

Hold your breath

1 Like

I heard blizzard is now adding an aoe enrage regen as we speak.

It’s implementation is a second thought before its effectiveness. Big question is. Will it work? Will healers have competition in terms of how important they are to a team’s success?

Because the alternatives are crap. It’s either do nothing, buff dps, nerf heals, or add more cc.

Though, I wouldn’t be opposed to adding more benefit to landing a kick.

Healers are fine.

There’s nothing else to add.

3 Likes