Details on Heroic Fatescribe Roh-Kalo

Edit Aug 11: This post may have some wrong info in it. I definitely wasn’t aware at the time I wrote it that all phase 3 rings must go the fastest direction to be in time, even the innermost ring. However there’s no knockback in P3 so once the beams go off the raid should be IMO on ring 3 or even more towards the center so there’s a minimal distance to get people to rings.

People also panic in P3 because they know the rings will wipe the raid if they’re not done. So what happens is that one person will hop on a ring that needs two people and they’ll actually start sending it the wrong way. Everyone has to stay calm and if a ring needs to go counterclockwise then all have to stay off it until two are there to step on simultaneously.

Edit: The fight may be easier 2/2/6, I have anecdotal evidence for it. He doesn’t seem to scale too bad but the rings get more complicated.

I think as people learn this fight, like almost every add fight, they’ll realize that if the adds get vaporized quickly the boss will fall over and the rings won’t be as big a deal as people think they are. (Especially as people get a little more experience with the mechanic.)

Health levels for 10 people / 16 people / 21 people
Fatescribe health 13551k / 23400k / 31406k
Shade of Destiny health 275k / 476k / 640k
Small adds 115k / 211k / 280k
Fatespawn Monstrosity 608k / 1053k / dunno

–There is a weakaura that assigns people to rings

–I’m not sure if this works but one possibly clever idea I had was to make everyone in the raid link the WA, because if they don’t have it they won’t be able to link it.

----(And not the weakaura that just says “do rings” but it actually assigns individuals to each)
–If the raid leader and raiders all have Method Raid Tools (the old ExRT) they can go in to the “Weak Aura check” tab, hit “update” and it will show who has the addon. But if players have the WA but not MRT it won’t show up.

I also suggest assigning a “Lord of the Rings” to check that everyone is doing their rings properly.

A few questions I have is if groups are having a tank do a ring if he’s assigned one or how the adds are getting picked up / tanked.

I suggest tanking Fatescribe closer to the center than some groups do. The beams that are hardest to get out of are the ones all together if the raid is in a bad spot. Being closer to the center makes those easier to get out of. But not too far in to the center, because the innermost safe spot from the beams that come from three directions is on the fourth ring. But those beams are much easier to get out of.

Also people have tended to tank the adds on the outer ring but I’m wondering if it makes more sense to tank them on a locked ring so the ringbearers can get a little dips in. Although I suppose the closer to the center the raid is the more orbs are moving towards that location. I also don’t know if tanks should soak an orb or two just to make it easier for DPS, if they even disappear at all.

Hardcore guilds I believe soak the tank adds to raise DPS but I tried this in a pug and it was disastrous. The explosion plus the seven second DoT is a LOT of damage. Also I do have recorded video of a tank add exploding when it got within 8-10 yards of me so I don’t recommend going anywhere near the thing. http s://imgur. com/a/dCaJyPT

I also suggest mocking the last person to lock their ring as “the final ringbearer” and making them make a “gollum” sound in voice chat.

If tank is selected then the first backup on the list does their ring.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, IN THE INTERMISSIONS YOU ONLY NEED A SINGLE PERSON PER RING. NO MATTER HOW FAR IT IS.

1 Like

I’m not clear on how the person assigned the outer ring can get there fast enough. If everyone is fighting at the door and the rune is on the far side and needs to be walked all the way around, that’s gonna take a while…

Also later in the phase the rings are completely covered in orbs, particularly the center, so I’m wondering if running a big raid size and having a few assigned soakers running with the ringbearers to keep their path clear is a good idea. You know, a Fellowship of the Ring, maybe a human hunter, an elf hunter, a dwarf warrior, that sort of thing. Maybe a human mage could roll in every once in a while, check how they’re doing, smoke some leaf, etc.

I also need to find out how much damage the orbs do to see how bad soaking them would be.

When the mechanic starts (And people are debuffed / assigned) all the active rings start spinning around. The rings then spin around for a little bit for before stopping and then THREE SECONDS AFTER THAT they activate. You have enough time to see your ring is spinning, catch up to the rune and run with it until it stops.

From then if you stood on it when it activated you’ll clear it regardless of its position.

Shouldn’t be necessary. The orbs spawn from the orb spawners around the outside of the room, not in the centre. You can have paladins pop freedom and stand on the spawner until their freedom runs out to prevent orbs spawning, same with SP dispersion or any other freedom effect, but you don’t want to have people actively trying to clear for your rune doers. You should have one of your healers positioned relatively central though, to heal the people doing the runes.

I started to dig in to the details of this fight and was writing up this monstrous post of all these questions, then joined a 2/2/6 raid that knocked her over easily.

http s://www.warcraftlogs .com/reports/7hwVxtR82zQkvnmy/
after leading my own much more casual and larger raid
http s://www.warcraftlogs .com/reports/h8jcbrgJQqM762vZ#fight=18&type=damage-done

And the time between how long the adds were up was ridiculous.

I was starting to draft up a bunch of questions so this is incomplete but wanted to post it to get started anyway:

Haven’t killed it yet but I’m thinking the most important thing on this fight is to be thinking five seconds ahead.
–Where do bombs go?
–Where are beams going to come from?
–Where’s the tank explosion going to go?
–Is the intermission about to start, is someone ready to interrupt the add that spawns in the northeast?
–How are people gonna get to their ring?
–How are people going to be healed through the 5k/tick shadow damage during intermission?

For example, the tank taking the tank explosion to the center of the room won’t instantly cause a problem…but when the raid moves to the center to kill the Shade, and then beams come up and the nearest safe spot is on the fourth ring, it’s gonna be a problem.

Another example of anticipating…if the inner rings have to be moved they need to be moved FAST because the orbs all head to the center and it gets very crowded very quickly.

Moving the runes…I’m guessing that that’s the hardest thing to learn, but in the end, the thing that will keep pugs from killing this is being out of position and not thinking 5 sec ahead.

Boss
Tank has to go sideways or the raid winds up in the center.
Set up an away team
Set up a center healer
Set up a Lord of the Rings / Ringmaster
Everyone in the raid can see which rings are active
In a raid of 16 people I had 8 that could move rings.
Every person in the raid adds 20% chance for a ring, so a 12 person raid will get 2 rings all of the time and a third ring 40% of the time.
During the split beams (like the irradiated symbol) rings 1, 2, and 3 are completely covered by beams. Ring 4 is the first safe one and even that is just a tiny wedge.

I personally don’t recommend putting down six raid icons for each ring. If people need a raid icon to figure out what the inner ring is, they need to go watch some Sesame Street or practice on a tree stump or something. I think the least visually-busy way to do it is put an icon on the fourth ring one on the near side of the room and one on the far. The only rings that people are gonna confuse are the third and fourth so IMO a raid marker on the fourth one is all people should really need.

I think a better use of raid icons is marking safe spots from the “irradiated” beam pattern since those happen to be on the fourth ring anyway.

The order of the icons can be viewed in the WeakAura preview (Runic Affinity ExRT List is in the name of the weakaura) and from the inside out is Star Circle Diamond Triangle Moon Square.

In Details! you can see damage done to Shade of Destiny by going to the sword icon, enemy damage taken, Shade of Destiny, and then mouseover it.

Questions:
Why does that weakaura not always work?
When doesn’t it work?
What happens when it doesn’t work?
Do I need MRT to see if people have the weak aura or not
Are people setting up an away team?
Video of someone moving the outer ring from very far away
What are the possible spawn locations of the clumped beams?

What’s min dps realistically?
What’s the easiest raid size to do it with?
How does the difficulty scale in terms of how big explosions are?

How do people get the rings moving in time with a bad start location?

If multiple people are close to an orb (Fate Fragment) do they both eat it?

Getting through the tank damage seems like it’d be rough in 2/2/6

Look up parse with the mistake on the tank add see how much damage it did the initial explosion

If someone with affinity stands between rings will they mess with someone moving a ring past them? (aka how big is the collision between the rune and a runewalker)

We didn’t have any issues with with weakaura not working, but it will assign tanks sometimes so backups have to cover those. It’s a common weakaura in a lot of general SoD packs, so if people have slightly different versions that have a different mark order (For example) then it’ll probably break.

Not sure, see above.

People get assigned weirdly / cant see they are assigned. It’ll only break for them, but if they’re assigned a ring and don’t know it’ll probably wipe you.

That would be the cleanest way to check yes.

What do you mean by this? If you mean having one healer assigned to stand nearer the middle and keep an eye on the people doing rings, yes. Anything more than that, no. It’s just the 4 people doing their rings and 1 healer keeping them topped. Everyone else hits adds.

The intermissions last 40 seconds, a ring takes 30 to do a full rotation. If people are on their spots when the rings activate (8~ seconds into the phase) then they will always finish in time.

In phase 3, you have less time, and the ring has to be taken the shortest route to be completed in time. That’s when you need people to communicate backups to get 2 people on the runes that need 2 people etc. There are only 2 rings active at a time in P3 though so it’s not much communication.

Was kinda hard to tell, but I assume yes.

Pretty sure the locations aren’t fixed as much as the patterns are.

It takes two major healing cooldowns to handle a tank add going off on heroic (Link AM Salv Tranq etc…) or 1 boon ramp pre planned. Maybe in smaller group sizes its 1 CD (Or 1 + a dps cd like darkness or rally)

Unless people are specifically assigned to rings during intermission they shouldn’t even at any point be on the rings. they should be on the outside by the entrance to the room. When the intermission starts there is NO REASON to run against the pushback. Just go to the egde and wait there for the first add to spawn.

Between each ring there is a wood / metal divider. People can stand on those (Especially during P3) without affecting rune positioning.

The hitbox for affecting the rune’s direction is slightly larger than the rune itself, but I would still advise people to steer clear of any active rings during P3 and just stand on the dividers if they aren’t doing them.

Some major minor details:

When runes start, the order of events:
–The concrete on the floor starts spinning if the ring is active
–A few seconds later the blue rune above the ring that moves it will be animated (all can see both this and the lock)
–At some point people on the rings get knocked back but take no damage from it
–The blue runes rotate for what appears to be a random amount of time and therefore stop in a random location
–At various times the rings will stop moving, a slight “thuuuuunk” sound plays, and it is at this point that the blue lock appears. So it’s not possible to know which way a ring needs to go until they’ve completely stopped moving.

I have a video where the concrete starts spinning 5:11 in to the fight and the final ring stops moving at 5:28 so 17 seconds. We lock a different ring at 5:54 so the 40 sec timer probably starts when the last ring stops moving.

I’m thinking of a Ring Four strategy. Pretty much the whole fight the raid stays on ring 4 as it’s the most central ring with a safe location from beams, and then I don’t know if getting kicked off is mandatory but returning to the fourth ring immediately as soon as possible and then just walking slightly behind the rotating orb throwers. As long as you face the center and keep the orb nearby to the left I don’t believe a raider will ever get hit.

edit: video of rings going backwards for no particular reason (at the end there are a lot of conventional fails in this video too) https://youtu.be/N6tTIBlRYuI

Video of a ring taking 17 seconds to finish the starting animation https://youtu.be/01kKuskL0-Y

Yes. You can reposition afterwards, though you’ll be dealing with more orb hazards to fight on the rings, as well as the additional hazard of a ring passing by and people stepping on it and halting or reversing its progress.

Most groups fight on the edge, maybe slightly inner to avoid the giga murder orbs on the outer rim. However, melee can just move to the outer wall and avoid them entirely, whereas ranged can stand closer to the Fatescribe to hit him earlier as he comes out of his shield.

I’ve only seen PUGs try to tank inside, and it’s usually as a desperation move when you get a tank add going into the intermission with low DPS, so they stack everything to burst.

Not only is getting kicked off the runes mandatory, it is preferable.

As soon as the phase starts just get off the circle, the winds only push you off, they dont move you to the edge of the room. Just get the whole raid off the middle, group up comfortably, and be ready to get back on if need be. Don’t fight the winds at all.

Here’s how the fight can be done with no weakaura. This strategy is specifically for 15 or fewer people as it would get much more complicated with four rings active:

Put three dps (preferably with immunities) in group 1.

Put three dps (preferably with good raid awareness) in group 2.

Put three dps (preferably that are fast or can teleport) in group 3.

Tanks and healers group 4.

Group 1 has innermost Active ring.

Group 2 has middle Active ring.

Group 3 has outside Active ring.

First person in each group alphabetically (or however people want to divvy out the role) is the primary runner if only one is needed.

And here’s the beauty of it—as long as everyone can see who has Runic Affinity on their raid frames, it is way way way more clear that:

—Any group with two affinities does not need help.

—Any group with no affinities Does need help

——-If that happens it’s now clear what ring it is that will need the help since they’re pre-assigned.

—Any group that has three affinities can have the first two alphabetically get their own ring, and the third can help elsewhere.

—Any group with 1 affinity that needs help can more easily determine who is available by seeing which groups have lots of extra affinities, or if none, calling for a tank or healer.

—Healers and tanks will always know they’re backups and can already be en route if, for example, they see group 1 has 1 affinity but the other two have two.

—After the pull people can be held accountable as long as the unfinished ring is known as combat logs can be checked for who had affinity.

—The ExRT weakaura is bad in small groups because it:

—Assigns people to rings that aren’t active

—Assigns tanks and healers to rings

—Can assign slow classes to the outside

—Can assign classes without immunities to the inside

—It’s not clear in small raid sizes who the backups are