Death of the DH

I love my Demon Hunter but thanks for killing DH for SL,… DH has seen nonstop nerfs and then we get the healing from souls nerfed another 2% today… thanks for killing Demon Hunters Blizzard,. not sure why you hate the class but you’ve killed the class.

47 Likes

Everyone always forgets shamans. And you will be fine don’t be melodramatic. Your class was OP, it needed nerfs.

37 Likes

well hey man the people got what they asked for.

theyre gonna regret it when they find out those DH all rerolled to rogue / warlock or mage… u know… the classes that r even more OP than DH

21 Likes

50% Leech, 100% dodge every 4 seconds, 25% dodge + wall on a 1 min cd, 70% immunity on a 2 or 3 minute cd, demonic procs, vision of perfection proc, 7 stack gushing, drest agath acces, bike access, mastery stacked oneshots, aoe stun, single target stun… blah blah blah… do you want me to go on? Point is you deserve it. Stop crying

22 Likes

Some of your stuff is a little wrong for what DH has but what ever. Nerf it for pvp I don’t care. My problem is why does the stupid pvp side of the game have to always ruin the main aspect of the game which is pve. Delete DH from pvp I could care less. Blizzard needs to stop balancing all aspects of the game because a class is perceived as OP in pvp.

24 Likes

The nerfs are one thing, but the ritualistic gutting of the class’s gameplay flow is what’s upsetting to me.

22 Likes

DH is seeing the same treatment that DKs saw after WoTLK, all the hero specs are OP; y’all just got an extra xpac to enjoy the brokeness after Legion lol.

I’m not surprised the nerfs happened, but I do expect that the havoc DH will need a major class rework in the next xpac after SL. Its just going to be the gimp class this go around.

4 Likes

no offense but u r an idiot. half of the thing su listed are corruption or trinkets. all classes can abuse corruption or trinkets. u dont think 2 sec gpies r op?

53 Likes

This, when a class get nerf is almost ALWAYS because of PVP, they should separate the two completely in term of stats, gear, talents, abilities and etc.

10 Likes

I’ll say this again for you.

Lord Illidan would be disappointed in your lack of faith.

Some damage nerfs and some (kinda deserved) survivability nerfs?
Big deal lol.

If you think we’re “dead” because of that then you seriously underestimate how busted this class is at it’s core, even in SL.

• Did they take our utility? No.
  • Did they take our mobility? No.
  • Did they give us a despell on imo aura and an AoE mortal strike? Yes.
  • Is our short defensive cd still good against melee? Yes.
  • Do we still have numerous options to invalidate any melee that comes at us? Yes.
  • Do Demonic Appetite soul frags still provide plenty of self healing? Yes.
  • Are we still nearly immortal gods when it comes to world content? Yes.
  • Are we still the best anti healer class in the game due to mana rift? Yes.
  • Are we still the only anti-stealth class? Yes.
  • Do we still have some of the highest consistently available burst AoE in the game? Yes.
  • Are they still designing raid fights where our insane mobility makes us insanely valuable? Yes.
  • Do we still carry that stupid debuff that buffs most classes? Yes.
  • Do we still have Darkness? Yep.

I’m actually a bit afraid of posting this reply (again) because looking at it now we may still be too strong. Blizzard ignore this!

BEGONE DOOMSAYER, BEGONE!

11 Likes

wait, how? lol

-Reduced duration of demonic
-Reduced haste levels during demonic because Furious Gaze is only going to be a 15% buff.
-The fallout of reduced haste levels means fewer blade dances
-The reduced haste and duration of demonic means no optimizing demonic windows by getting in two blade dances during demonic (further simplifying the spec)
-Fewer blade dances means more chaos strike spam
-Fel Barrage is now on the same tier as demonic, and thus you can no longer synergize them, also further simplifying the spec.

Now of course you can opt for momentum rather than demonic, and that leaves you with
-Reduced mobility, as your mobility is now your damage.
-Reduced survivability, as you are no longer going in and out of meta to benefit from soul rending.
-Increased risk, as you now have to mentally calculate where a fel rush is going to leave you so you don’t accidentally jump into something that will kill you, or run out of a charge that you might need to escape an aoe, and god help you if you lag.

The problem is, they’re further trying to reduce the complexity of an already simple spec, and push us into an actual 2 button rotation

13 Likes

Yeah it’s definitely not that blade dance was trivializing many mechanics allowing you to unintentionally soak and/or avoid them, and certainly not that they’re trying to move away from how ridiculously durable DH was with its current demonic iteration.

Stop pretending like these weren’t also PvE focused nerfs as they try and move us away from the exact same play style we’ve been having since Antorus. It’s been two and a half years of this. For the love of God, let it stop and move to another set of talents, thank you.

4 Likes

I do agree that balancing between PvP and PvE should be different, what I don’t understand is why Blizzard just can’t balance it at all? I mean why is crit nerfed soo hard in PvP? Why is healing nerfed SOO hard in PvP? Why don’t they just buff underperforming classes and let the game, be a game. Not everything NEEDS to be fair, that is what makes it fun. As long as one class isn’t losing to every class in PvP and or PvE…

2 Likes

I’m not following how the class is “killed” relative to where we’d be right now sans-corruption and azerite.

The class has always been bad. We’ve relied on borrowed powers and talents for two expansions right now. Literally nothing has changed.

The blade dance nerf was 100% warranted, though handled incorrectly.
Nerf to leech was more than fair

2 Likes

I was using a bit of hyperbole ( and stirring up a bit of drama) but what I mean to say is, it is no longer going to be in the Hero Class status. Its getting the same treatment as DKs did post WoTLK.

Both classes started off over-powered and were near unkillable but they were “nerfed” and reworked. Now DK is a fantastic class.

To me the Demon Hunter we knew is dead and I will be rolling something else for Shadowlands.

1 Like

Other classes can do this as well in dungeons. It’s not just a DH thing of using abilities to avoid mechanics. Yes, blade dance was a damage ability whereas the other classes use utility/defensive abilities to do this. The shorter cd of blade dance compared to those other class’s abilities doesn’t really do much either in dungeons because you aren’t dodging big mechanics that often. That’s about the only argument that you can make against blade dance and even then who cares if it’s a damage ability letting you avoid stuff in dungeons. Blizzard wants DH to be a simple class, so that makes it simple instead of having 2 different buttons. It was something that added a little bit of depth to the class in dungeons and you had to think about holding blade dance for a few seconds sometimes to time the dodge right. The real problem with blade dance dodge was in pvp don’t even try to pretend that using it in pve was super abusive or anything.

Sure, some of the nerfs were warranted. Most people were complaining about DH survivability in pvp, not pve. If it was just a pve problem I highly doubt it would have been nerfed as hard as it was where every thing got nerfed.

They didn’t buff the other talents, they only nerfed stuff. Nothing has changed. We are still going to be playing the same thing for another 2 years as of now, but we are going to be weaker doing it. Yes, some nerfs to our survivability were needed, but they went too far nerfing everything. They haven’t buffed momentum at all and they got rid of nemesis for a weaker version of fel barrage. Have fun playing demonic for another 2 years because this changed nothing there. They only solved half the problem. They nerfed what we had been playing, but they didn’t buff the other talents enough to make us drastically switch up our play style. Stop pretending like these changes are any good and that they actually make us play something different.

10 Likes

That doesn’t in any way discount the fact that baking defensive utility into an offensive ability is terrible design. After all, momentum is badly designed, right?
Also, ya kinda explained in your own words why this is awful:

This isn’t a good thing. We’re compromising dps for utility, rather than just having a defensive ability with a short cd we could press.

This isn’t fair any more. DH’s deserve the same amount of thought put into their rotation as any other class. Or, we deserve a third spec introduced that is harder than the other one. If we’re a one spec class, we have to have some sort of interactive synergy in our baseline rotation. My brain can’t take another expansion of this class being as easy as it is.

People take more notice and are more likely to complain when the class is opposing them, not helping them through dungeons. Just because people may not have complained about our survivability as much in pve doesn’t change the fact that it was broken.

With this I agree.
I tried really hard to play momentum. I want to want to play the talent, but it’s trash. The second I went back to demonic the rotation just felt better. Mind-numbingly easy, to be sure, but every time I play momentum I’m reminded blizzard has absolutely no idea what they’re doing with our class.

I’m very likely switching back to my spriest if no additional changes are seen.

The difference in number of buttons and skill cap is absurd. Demon hunters have had far too low a skill ceiling for far too long a time

3 Likes

Yeah, and I would have loved if Blizzard gave us an ability that gave us 100% dodge for a short duration on a cd. I think you brought this idea up in a few different threads and really wish Blizzard would have done something like that. Sometimes you just have to settle for terrible design because that is the best Blizzard seems to be able to do in some situations.

Yup, I wish Blizzard felt this way too. After experiencing beta and the weekly changes to DH, I don’t think this is the case though. We are most likely going to be a braindead class for another expansion and a lot of our problems are going to be amplified and pointed out more drastically. Then in the expansion after Shadowlands Blizzard will stop putting off fixing DH and we will get a redesign then. It’s not even just Havoc, Vengeance has some big flaws that need fixing as well. That’s my prediction.

Yeah, I said we needed some nerfs, but some of them didn’t make any sense. Like they even nerfed the talent Desperate Instincts. Nobody was taking that in pve content.

All the changes feel half finished to me and that is the problem. They nerfed us, which some of it was needed I agree with that, but they didn’t go about buffing or changing anything else to make the class different. Look at all the changes and additions to DH in Shadowlands. They are all reskins and redesigns from previous expansions and we only had DH for 2 expansions. I think the best and most creative change was the addition of Unbound Chaos. Even that is just a redesign of an azerite trait that was an idea taken from an artifact trait in legion and it doesn’t even work properly half the time for people.

4 Likes

Yeah, agreed completely. Unbound chaos is a great addition. It implements class fantasy well, and gives us a huge amount of burst in just a global, but it’s pretty much the only inspired addition to our toolkit, and it’s a talent. Like you said, it’s also an amalgamation of past mechanics. While it involves mobility, it’s not used often enough that I think it’s really a bother. Otherwise, nothing really new has been introduced to us. The mortal rush is great, but in terms of pve, it’s just a snooze fest.

I just look at something like a shadow priest and I see all the reworks and, after playing it, it’s really hard to go back to a demon hunter.

While playing a shadow priest, for the most part I’m thinking “blizzard actually understands this spec. They put time into the design and have developed an interactive rotation that makes sense.” There’s comprehensive elements and synergies in the spec, whereas we have… nothing, really. We’re still a generic generator / spender build.

It’s just a damn shame :confused:

3 Likes