Darkspear Death Knight Campaign: Dealing with Death [Fanfic Questline]

Darkspear Death Knight, Chapter 1: Dealing with Death

A Witch Doctor has called forth Death Knights risen from the ranks of the Darkspear Trolls, as they have been slowly dwindling through some unknown attrition. Led by Hez’tok, the remaining Troll Death Knights seek out the cause, discovering that none of the Loa are willing to speak or work with them, and that Bwonsamdi has called for a collection of all Troll souls that were bound to the Lich King and the Jailor. Escape the clutches of the Loa of Graves and find a new patron with an ancient Loa once considered the bane of all life on Azeroth, culminating in a daring delve into the Sunken Temple to steal the secrets of Loa rebirth from a hidden archive of the Atal’ai.

Summary
In Part 1 the hero is called upon to discover the cause of missing Death Knights, joining a Witch Doctor and Prelate of the fallen Rezan in seeking out other Loa to assist in their task. In Part 2, the hero is betrayed by Mueh’zala’s Ill Winds and revives the Voice of Xibala and the Loa herself, the Loa striking a deal to protect the hero from Bwonsamdi in exchange for their services.

In Part 3 the hero assists Xibala in growing her power before they are captured by Bwonsamdi and conscripted into his army. When rescued by the Ebon Blade, the forces of Xibala and Bwonsamdi nearly come to war in Ardenweald, prevented only by the wrath of the Winter Queen. In Part 4, the hero travels with their gathered allies to the Temple of Atal’Hakkar to raid the archives of the Atal’ai and look for a way to empower the soul of Vol’jin as he revives. On returning from the expedition, the hero finds Xibala and Bwonsamdi having come to a tentative deal, granting the hero’s freedom, but making the efforts to empower Vol’jin more urgent as the Loa bicker over who gains Vol’jin’s soul on his rebirth.

Part 1: The Whims of the Loa

Quest Giver: Bound Spirit of Hez’tok
Warning from De Spirits – The shade is voiceless, yet visions of the Echo Islands fill your mind. Flashes of darkness, of a spirit dance and of deep shadows fill your waking thoughts, drawing you to return to the capitol of your people. You know these visions will remain in your dreams until you follow their guidance.
Objective: Speak with Witch Doctor Hez’tok in the Echo Isles.

Quest Giver: Witch Doctor Hez’tok
The Missing – “De spirits howl in fear and confusion . Master Gadrin speaks riddles about Vol’jin and de Loa, de speakers of Bwonsamdi gain power every day, and now our people go missin! De bones keep rollin’ and revealin’ bad news every day – makes me want to ignore de omen readings. But no, no, we need de guidance, says Rokhan. Fine. De spirits be cagey? We build a cage and force de truth from dem. We will perform de dance of de spirits, and we shall bind whatever comes.”
Objective: Join the Dance of De Spirits
Objective: Defeat the conjured Voice of the Spirits and bind it using your Death magic.
Objective: Speak with the Voice of the Spirits. Take the spirit portal that opens and speak with Witch Doctor Hez’tok at the destination.

Quest Giver: Suspicious Acolyte
Welcome Committee – “You stand in de Zocalo of Zuldazar yet seem lost. The middle of de empire, the center of de world of commerce, and yet you stand agape as if you never heard of it. Such wide, innocent eyes. Such… rotting flesh? Hmm. Fine, come wit’ me, we have a welcome for you.”
Objective: Follow the suspicious Acolyte to the hidden altar of Shadra
Objective: Defeat the Widow’s Bite Cultists
Objective: Speak with High Prelate Rata

Quest Giver: High Prelate Rata
Silence – “You come at a dangerous time. De minions of Shadra lurk around the city, looking for those dey think serve our Queen Talanji or serve as de hands of Bwonsamdi. I saw you being led by a known sympathizer while on my own errands. Good thing my curiosity got de better of me. You are welcome to join me on my pilgrimage, we shall watch out for each other, make sure these cowards stick to dere shadows.”
Objective: Join Rata in visiting the shrines of Gonk, Pa’ku, and Torcali in Zanchul
Objective: Examine the stele of the council while Rata is speaking with a Zanchuli priest to learn she is a member of the Zanchuli Council. Learn about Rata losing her powers after Rezan’s death and her search for a new Loa patron.
Objective: Speak with Rata about your history, whether you were reborn as a Death Knight under Arthas or Bolvar.

• This has cosmetic effects on the narrative and some abilities. This can be changed later by speaking with High Prelate Rata in Atal’Xibala.

The Zanchuli Summit – “While I no longer can call upon Rezan, de other Loa still heed my voice. None can provide me the gifts I need to serve my queen, but they are sympathetic, and still respect my faith. Come, let us go to de summit of Zanchul, where I will call upon de Loa to advise on your missing comrades.”
Objective: Go to the summit of Zanchul and meet with the Loa. Ask the Loa for assistance.
Objective: Learn of Bwonsamdi’s edict that no Loa shall assist those returned from the dead.
Objective: Travel with Rata to Atal’Dazar to pay respects near the resting place of Rezan to obtain his mark.
Objective: Defeat Bwonsamdi’s bounty hunter in the pit of Atal’Dazar

Quest Giver: Bwonsamdi
No Rest For the Dead – “Haha! Found you! You be long past due for a face to face. You see, as de Loa of graves, I be jealous and covetous of what should be mine. De Jailor? De tin plate? Both took ‘tings that didn’t belong to dem. Now, I not be angry wit you, you not knowin’ any better and all, but its time ye came home, hmm? I got a long list of overdue souls dat should be headin’ to De Other Side, more so now dat Mueh’Zala is out of de way. Come along quietly, and maybe eh show ye some favor, eh?”
Objective: Defeat Bwonsamdi’s Soul Collectors
Objective: Tell Rata and Hez’tok to run away when there is an opening
Objective: Survive the assault by the Risen Devilsaur
Objective: Wake in the Dark Place

As part of this quest, heroes can hear the following exchange:
Mysterious Voice: Foolish usurper, you dance upon my child’s bones?
Bwonsamdi: Who dare speak to de Loa of Graves, de Loa of Death like that?
Mysterious Voice: You claim my beloved’s domain and powers so casually, but in doing so, you have neglected his prisoners. I awaken. Morsel.
Bwonsamdi: It couldn’t be… Mueh’zala said you be gone for good!
Mysterious Voice: I awaken and claim your toys for my own.
Bwonsamdi: No! No! Their souls be mine!
A dark pit opens in the ground, swallowing the player, High Prelate Rata, and Witch Doctor Hez’tok.

Resting Place – “Dis… tomb… I do not recognize it. It appears to be similar to those of the kings here in Atal’Dazar, but I do not recognize the inscriptions. Here, it seems dis tomb has had de name scratched out, and over there is a tablet. Lets see…”
Objective: Open the gateway to Xibala and speak with the Voice of Xibala that steps through. Discover you are in Atal’Xibala, deep below the mountain.
Objective: Listen to the legend of Xibala as recited by the Voice of Xibala
Objective: Bring word of Bwonsamdi’s claim on Darkspear Death Knight souls to Nazgrim in Acherus.

Voice of Xibala: Deep beneath the earth, chained by the roots of the mountain, Mueh’zala’s bride sleeps. She drew the attention of her beloved, her teeth bled the land, her gullet drew body and soul to serve as her sustenance. The Loa of Death grew to love her.

Voice of Xibala: With the love of the loa came power, immortality, and Mueh’zala’s weakness. In his love, he gave of his power, and so the devourer became a god herself, terrible and beautiful. The Queen of Death, the Loa of Rot. So long as she was below the Loa of Death, he cared not for her growing strength, but soon she was thought to supplant him.

Voice of Xibala: So the Loa of Death sought to give her children to divide her time. She devoured them all, save one. One child escaped her hungering gaze, and so inherited the power of its slain brethren. Xibala loved her child, but also sought to devour it, and through it gain the powers inherited from its father.

Voice of Xibala: And so did the Loa of Death bind her beneath a mountain, its roots her chains and his power her lock. He spread her gathered might amongst the four winds, and exalted her child, and it became a Loa of Kings. Long slumbers the great Xibala but now she awakens to devour the world. Look upon her court, mortal, know that you stand at the center of her future empire. Glory to Xibala!

• Reward: Toy: Xibala’s Fetish (Creates Death Gate to Atal’Xibala, shares cooldown with the hearthstone); Glyph of Spirit Dancing (Death Knight Glyph, Da Voodoo Shuffle): Whenever you shake off a movement impairing effect that had an original duration of 4 seconds or longer, Troll spirits appear to perform a Spirit Dance.

Part 2: Ill Winds

Quest Giver: Zandalari Emissary
Return to Xibala – “Greetings, . I bear a message direct from a member of the Zanchuli Council, advisors to the Queen Talanji. High Prelate Rata demands your presence and assistance, though she did not tell me exactly where. She said to return to the roots of the mountain, that there a voice that must be heard.”
Optional: Travel to Atal’Xibala using the portal in the Throat of Xibala
Objective: Speak with High Prelate Rata
Objective: Speak with the Voice of Xibala to discover where its body is.
Objective: Enter Hez’tok’s spirit gate into the Tomb of Betrayers, find the body of the Speaker of Xibala and return to the portal before the Tomb Guardians catch you.

Voice of the Dead – “I be trusted with certain rites which may grant this ‘speaker’ of Xibala his form, but dis be a risky move . If it be required to gain favor with Xibala and keep her protection, den so be it, but as with all des zealots, be careful when dey ask you to join de dance.”
Objective: Assist Witch Doctor Hez’tok in performing the rituals to resurrect the Voice of Xibala.

Quest Giver: Zar’jin, High Speaker of Xibala
Love of the Queen – “You chose well. I do not seek your obedience, or worship, no, that is not what Xibala demands. The queen whispers from below, knows of your tribulations. She will be your patron, should you desire, but she would only ask for what you willingly give. She has claimed my love and soul, and I offer her protection from Bwonsamdi’s claim to you. With this pact, you will gain power. You will gain the love of my queen. You will be the hand with which we strike back against the Loa of Graves. Such is her benevolence. Now, she would speak with you, and ask a boon in exchange for saving you from Bwonsamdi. She wishes to see her child once again.”
Objective: Speak with Xibala through Zar’jin
Objective: Speak with Hez’tok. Take his spirit portal to Ardenweald.
Objective: Sneak past the Grove Guardian and bring Zar’jin to the desired Wildseed.
Objective: Join the manifestation of Xibala and fight back the Grove Guardian after she throws a tantrum about Vol’jin’s Wildseed. Escape through the Spirit Gate before the Winter Queen arrives.

Avatar of Xibala: What… what is this treachery? My child, my lovely child, what have they done to you! Your spirit, it is corrupted with the thoughts of this mortal?
Avatar of Xibala: This will not do, awaken Rezan, awaken and meet your mother! I must devour you, I must have your strength to punish your father for his indolence!
High Prelate Rata: What… you will devour Rezan? No! I once spoke with Rezan’s voice as his High Prelate – you will not have him!
Avatar of Xibala: Foolish child, what would you do to stop me? With his soul in such a state, he cannot hear you. You are no match for me.
Zar’jin: My Queen, please, stay your wrath, the Winter Queen is on the air.
Avatar of Xibala: Be glad you still have your uses tiny one, else you be devoured here and now. We will retreat, Zar’jin, not because of that meddlesome Eternal One, but because we must determine how to revive my son, so that I may feed upon his pure essence.

Winter Queen: Guardians, attend me! Xibala? Quick, attend to your duties, the bride of Mueh’zala must never again devour one of our glades! Secure the Wildseeds and notify the fool Bwonsamdi that he has lost one of his charges.
Avatar of Xibala: As much as I would like to test your strength after all this time, Winter Queen, I will depart in peace. By the laws of old, we will not be harmed.
Zar’jin opens a Spirit Gate and the avatar of Xibala portals away.

Heroes that have been devoted to Ardenweald or reached maximum renown with it can hear the following exchange:

Winter Queen: Maw Walker? What are you doing with her?
Xibala is protecting me from Bwonsamdi, he has called due the souls of my people raised by the Lich King
Winter Queen: Since he has taken over Mueh’zala’s domain, that spirit has become a greater nuisance, consolidating his power in case Mueh’zala slips his bonds. I’d believe that he is gathering soldiers for his own army.

You mentioned Xibala has devoured an entire glade?
Winter Queen: When Mueh’zala first elevated her and granted some of his powers and soul, she was originally little more than a cunning and terrifying beast. He brought her to his domain, but she slipped through his fingers and proceeded to consume an entire glade and a good number of the Wild Hunt. Korayn finally subdued her, but, she was responsible for the final deaths of countless souls. Tell me, if you would, why was she here?

Rezan, her child, gave his essence and anima to Vol’jin, who you gave the opportunity to begin the process of rebirth.
Winter Queen: I had almost forgotten. I will order special care for this Wildseed, we must not allow Xibala to enact whatever plan she is forming. Be careful Maw Walker, you lash yourself to a hurricane. Xibala is capricious and as she grows frustrated, will also grow hungrier.

She Hungers – “Xibala is displeased. Not with you, no. Her child has been corrupted, tainted by its bonding with another spirit. It is stronger, yes, given powers not just from Mueh’zala, but also strange energies from this other soul. Tell me, hero, about this ‘Vol’jin’ that has dared to merge with her beloved offspring.”
Objective: Discuss how Vol’jin rescued Rezan from the maw (if Ardenweald campaign was completed) otherwise discuss knowledge of Vol’jin as leader of the Darkspear.
Objective: Discuss with High Prelate Rata what to do about the revelation that Xibala intends on devouring the soul of Vol’jin.
Objective: Speak with Witch Doctor Hez’tok to develop a plan to keep Xibala bound.
Objective: Complete the quests “A Cunning Plan”, “Blood Oath”, “Eternity and a Day”, and “Speaking of Witch”.

Quest Giver: Stele of Ill Winds
Speaking of Witch – “Mark the betrayal of the husband, for offering sweet slumber. For his queen’s bed of bones, Mueh’zala offered a spirit of vengeance to recount the screams of misery and revenge his beloved would elicit. Each of his bride’s crimes would be recounted, and while she slumbered in ecstasy, he would bind her beneath the mountain.”
Objective: Travel to Thunder Bluff and speak with a spirit walker to learn where Arikara might be.
Objective: Travel to Thousand Needles and find the sleeping form of Arikara, obtain a scale of Arikara without waking it.
Objective: Speak with Magatha Grimtotem, help her curse an enemy to prevent her from cursing you.
Objective: Bring the empowered Scale of Vengeance to Witch Doctor Hez’tok

Blood Oath – “Mark the betrayal of the husband, for the gift of a peaceful death. None would best the Loa of Rot in combat, her roar alone would strip flesh from bones, her bite could sever the soul, and so Mueh’zala fashioned a spirit of corruption and blood to still her passion. Each beat of her massive heart would spread the spirit’s toxin, and while she slumbered, her love for life would seal the demise of her flesh.”
Objective: Travel to the entrance of Zul’Gurub and speak with the Hakkari Acolyte
Objective: Enter Zul’Gurub and protect the Hakkari Acolyte as he gathers energy from the central ziggurat
Objective: Help the Hakkari Acolyte empower the Scale of Hakkar
Objective: Bring the empowered Scale of Corruption to Witch Doctor Hez’tok

A Cunning Plan – “Mark the betrayal of the husband, for the gift of undisturbed rest. For his queen’s followers, Mueh’zala offered a spirit of cunning to create schemes to match their ambition. Each priest, seeing their queen slumber, consulted with the serpent and sought to become their loa’s speaker when she would awaken. Thus, with their plans cast, they did cleanse each other from the world, so that none would remain to seek the queen’s awakening.”
Objective: Travel to Zul’Drak in Northrend and talk with the Tortured Spirit outside of the Altar of Quetz’lun
Objective: Accept the offer to speak with Quetz’lun and enter the spirit world.
Objective: Speak with Quetz’lun and defeat her spectral gladiators to punish her subjects
Objective: Bring the empowered Scale of Cunning to Witch Doctor Hez’tok

Eternity and a Day – “Mark the betrayal of the husband, for the gift of eternity. Mueh’zala knew that his beloved had feasted deeply of his power and no longer was bound to the cycle, and so he offered a spirit of eternity so that his queen need never fear her demise. So did the spirit bind the queen to her kingdom, so that she may never need travel the lands beyond, banishing her from her husband’s domain. Now she sleeps eternally, without flesh, without followers, so none may revive her.”
Objective: Travel to Zul’Drak in Northrend and talk with the Speaker of Tharon’ja outside of Drak’Tharon Keep.
Objective: Enter Drak’Tharon Keep with the Tharon’jarri Acolyte and seek a scale.
Objective: Help the Tharon’jarri Acolyte empower the Scale of Tharon’ja by absorbing power from the eternal beasts, preventing them from rising from death.
Objective: Bring the empowered Scale of Eternity to Witch Doctor Hez’tok

The Maw of Xibala – “It is time, , dis be the best opportunity we have of ending the threat of Xibala. Let us call upon the Ill Winds and use their power to re-seal Xibala in her prison, if not for Zandalar, den for Rezan.”
Objective: Help Hez’tok summon the Ill Winds using their scales
Objective: Convince the Ill Winds to assist in re-binding Xibala
Objective: Begin the Ritual, defeat Zar’jin.
Objective: Defend yourself against the betrayal of Tharon’ja and Quetz’lun
Objective: Join Rata in fighting the Avatar of Xibala
Objective: Strike a bargain with Xibala, the Devouring Queen

As part of this quest, heroes can participate in the following exchange:
Quetz’lun: I had hoped, tiny being, that what you were saying was a lie. What trouble the mistress causes, and I was just about to enjoy flaying my victims.
Hakkar: What is this! Answer mortal or have your blood boil and your flesh sloughed from your muscles!
Arikara: Heed brother, heed the call, look around you. Do you not recognize where we are?
Tharon’ja: I had hoped to never return here. What misery brings us back to the prison of our mistress?
Hakkar: I will not be bound! Away with you all!
Hakkar attempts to open a portal but it is dispelled by Arikara
Hakkar: You would dare defy me? The eldest? What eternal torments shall I create for you?
Arikara: Your petty curses, brother, only strengthen my resolve. We have been called to perform our duty once again and bind Xibala to her grave.
Tharon’ja: Without Mueh’zala’s or Bwonsamdi’s power, our curses will not last long, this is foolish.
Arikara: If the mistress is not dealt with, should she awaken fully we will likely become her prey. Tell me Tharon’ja, are you prepared to flee for eternity?
Quetz’lun: As always Arikara once you begin talking it is impossible to stop you. Stop the discussion, get to the ritual.

Quest Giver: Xibala, the Devouring Queen
Hungry for Followers – “We have a deal, my little morsel. I will offer my strength to protect you from Bwonsamdi, in exchange you will exalt me above all other Loa. You will bring those sought by the usurper to me and I shall offer them the same. Together, we will bring back my child and I will become the most powerful of Loa!”
Objective: Return with Witch Doctor Hez’tok to the Echo Isles and speak with the gathered Death Knights
Objective: Travel to Acherus and speak with Nazgrim and receive his warning
Objective: Return to Atal’Xibala with the Darkspear Death Knights and assist those who wish to make a pact with Xibala.

• Reward: Title: Fang of Xibala; Unlocks Atal’Xibala Vendor, Unlocks Atal’Xibala Quest Hub

• Atal’Xibala serves as a quest hub beneath Atal’Dazar, reachable through the Throat of Xibala in Zandalar or using the Xibala’s Fetish toy. Unlocking the quest hub allows Death Knights additional Daily and World quests that provide reputation with the Darkspear and with the Ebon Blade.
  • The Atal’Xibala vendor sells a number of cosmetic awards, mounts, pets, and glyphs earned through the Darkspear Death Knight campaign, in addition to selling additional awards for gold.

Part 3: The Fangs of Xibala

Quest Giver: Xibala, the Devouring Queen
Bending the Knee – “The morsel that tried to have me bound still seeks to struggle against her fate. She should feel honored that I did not eat her immediately. My son will need his followers when he is reborn, and her faith in Rezan means I would be foolish to deprive him of the power she can give him… and me. It is tiresome that she fights reality. Convince her to quiet down, or else I may decide she is too much trouble.”
Objective: Speak with High Prelate Rata about Xibala’s offer, return to Xibala with Rata’s pledge.

Objective: Speak with Xibala, the Devouring Queen and select a demonstration of your Death Knight skills and loyalty and complete at least one of the following quests: The Eternal Hunt, The Heart of Xibala, or A Place of Honor. Each quest series is designed around access to a specific Death Knight talent tree – you may need to have the associated tree active or may find the quest easier with access to the tools in that talent tree.

Objective: Report to Tharon’ja in Atal’Xibala (Blood)
Objective: Report to Quetz’lun in Atal’Xibala (Frost)
Objective: Report to Zar’jin in Atal’Xibala (Unholy)

• Reward: Unlocks Heart of Xibala

Family Drama – “My ‘husband’ Mueh’zala is bound by the usurper, well beyond my power to reach for now. I must do all within my power to make sure that when next we meet, I will relish an easy meal. He has some followers on this world and beyond, with fetishes to focus their prayers and empower him. Do what you must to gather those fetishes, so that I may feed on their energy.”
Objective: Obtain 10 Fetishes of Mueh’zala from either the Zul’Farrak dungeon or De Other Side dungeon.

• Reward: Unlocks Vaults of Xibala (Atal’Xibala Cosmetics Manager, Bank Access)
Sub-Series: Faith of the Devourer (Unholy)

Quest Giver: Zar’jin, High Speaker of Xibala
The Loyal Few – “Long ago, Xibala commanded legions of followers who brought her offerings from across the known world. They would ship slaves, beasts, and prisoners from wars of conquest from even far flung Pandaria and feed it to our beloved queen. I hear your tribe, the Darkspear, has fallen on hard times – perhaps a Loa that demands respect will raise them in the eyes of the golden kingdom?”
Objective: Take the Spirit Gate to the Echo Isles
Objective: Place 4 fetishes of Xibala amongst the loa shrines
Objective: Speak with Witch Doctor Hez’tok to have a shrine to Xibala fashioned
Objective: Defeat the Soul Collector of Bwonsamdi that attempts to stop the shrine from being fashioned. Your undead companion can enter corpse zones to become empowered by feeding on their flesh.

Feast or Famine – “Good, good, your people are well suited to learning of the greatness of Xibala. They seem eager for power, to feed on their victories. Now for a slightly harder conversion. The Farraki tribe still worships Mueh’zala, though they may be in turmoil since his defeat as it is unlikely he is granting them favors. Now is the time to feed on their fears and insecurities. Go to Zul’Farrak and bring the love of Xibala to all who would hear her.”
Objective: Take the Death Gate to Zul’Farrak.
Objective: Speak of Xibala to 4 groups of despondent supplicants
Objective: Challenge the Speaker of Mueh’zala to combat, defeat the speaker.
Objective: Ride the Avatar of Xibala and defeat the conjured Death Elemental and devour 100 supplicants

A Place of Honor – “It is time to reclaim Xibala’s place in the worshipped of the Zandalari. There will be fear, there will be hatred, but that is expected and desired. Go to Zanchul and guide my minions as they transform Rezan’s shrine into a more worthy one – the shrine of Xibala.”
Objective: Enter the Heart of Xibala and take the Death Gate to the Chamber of Rezan in Zanchul to begin the Corruption of Zanchul Event. Complete the event successfully, fighting the Rastari Prelates while using your undead companion to feed on their corpses to prevent them from being revived and empowering it to defeat their champions.

• Reward: Unlocks Corruption of Zanchul Challenge; Mummification Manual (Death Knight Glyph, Raise Dead); Your Ghoul is replaced by a mummified troll whenever you cast Raise Dead; Unlocks Mummification Manual Inscription Pattern at the Atal’Xibala vendor

• Unlocks the Corruption of Zanchul Challenge in the Heart of Xibala (Death Knight Unholy Specialization Proving Grounds). The Corruption of Zanchul Challenge requires that you defeat Rastari Prelates while using your skills and commanding your undead companion to reach certain zones to become temporarily empowered and devour the corpses of the defeated Prelates to keep them from being revived. The strength of the enemies, speed of the with which Prelates are revived, and number of elite foes change with increased difficulties. Completion of different difficulties rewards access to the Corrupter tint of the Fang of Xibala cosmetic set available from the vendor in the main hall.

Sub-Series: Taste of Flesh (Blood)

Quest Giver: Tharon’ja
Just a Taste – “You still seem surprised that I would betray you and work towards the revival of the great queen? The Drakkari have become weak mewling children that cannot appreciate my power. I should have realized, with being betrayed myself by their insipid plans to steal my power, that the old ways are the best ways. I have my plans, and will keep my own counsel, but you seek a way to survive this ordeal, yes? I will offer you my advice, but first we must placate the queen.”
Objective: Escort a captured beast from the Feeding Pens to Xibala’s Altar OR release the beast and escort it outside
Objective: Speak with Tharon’ja
Objective: Gather the bucket of blood from the Feeding Pens OR go outside and obtain Bloodblossoms and use the table in the Feeding Pens to turn them into paste.
Objective: Anoint the Altar of Xibala with the gathered materials.

Flesh of My Flesh – “Long gone are the days where Troll would feed upon Troll, taking in their mojo and communing with Xibala, or is it? The Drakkari have those who feast in secret, the dark trolls remember her communion, even if Xibala has been silent to them. There are two favored pets of the queen that have lain dormant for so long. Go, raise the first from its slumber and begin the communion of the feast!”
Objective: Take Tharon’ja’s Spirit Portal to Gun’Drak
Objective: Travel to the Pool of Twisted Reflections and assist in the summoning of Un’yi. Protect the spirits being sacrificed to sate the beast’s hunger, using your skills to prevent powerful Trolls from banishing them before Un’yi enrages and kills everyone present.

The Eternal Hunt – “You wonder how reviving the beasts of the mistress will help you survive? Her favored pets, Un’yi and Yi’un were the first aspects she empowered on her own, and would sport by hunting them down in turn and forcing them to hunt each other. Each time, the beasts would feast and grow stronger, learning from fighting each other, becoming more challenging prey for the queen. Yes, she grows stronger from her struggles, but through this distraction might the weakest prey escape her gaze. Go, I will open a portal to Yi’un’s prison. Perform the communion and bring her favored prey back to Xibala.”
Objective: Enter the Heart of Xibala and begin the Eternal Hunt Event. Complete the event successfully, protecting the spirits being fed to empower Yi’un’s hunger, using your skills to prevent powerful Trolls from banishing them before Yi’un enrages and kills everyone present.

• Reward: Unlocks the Eternal Hunt Challenge, Glyph of The Feasting Communion (Death Knight Glyph, Regeneration); Each time Regeneration restores life you radiate dark energy, pulsing with energy while in combat. Each time you defeat an enemy you absorb a portion of their soul, intensifying the visual effect from this Glyph for 10 seconds; Unlocks Glyph of Feasting Communion Inscription Pattern at the Atal’Xibala vendor.

• Unlocks the Eternal Hunt Challenge in the Heart of Xibala (Death Knight Blood Specialization Proving Grounds). The Eternal Hunt Challenge requires that you defeat Troll foes while protecting spirits being fed to the slumbering pet of Xibala before it awakens naturally to kill everything on the battlefield. The strength of the enemies, number of spirits needed to sate Un’yi or Yi’un, and time period before the beasts awaken changes with increased difficulties. Completion of different difficulties rewards access to the Soul Hunter tint of the Fang of Xibala cosmetic set available from the vendor in the main hall.

Sub-Series: Heart of Fury (Frost)

Quest Giver: Quetz’lun
Play with Her Food – “Arikara was always so subservient to mortals, it pains me that she would not see reason and join us in serving the mistress – but such is her way, and she is irrelevant in the grand scheme. Hakkar, though, he has always been foul-tongued and hungry for his own power. Xibala would have tired of his scheming and devoured him in time. Of Mueh’zala’s servants, none remain a threat to the mistress, but he had an equal, the Winter Queen. We must strengthen our mistress against the powers of the Eternal One. She learns through the hunt – go find manifestations of Ardenweald that she can hunt down.”
Objective: Take Quetz’lun’s soul portal to Ardenweald and capture the unsuspecting glade tender with Quetz’lun’s Bone Cage.
Objective: Play games with the Innocent Faerie and use Quetz’lun’s Bone Cage when it becomes your friend.
Objective: Put the Wailing Child of Marasmius in a sack and throw it through the portal. Approaching the child while it is looking causes it to wail in fear, knocking back attackers and dealing damage, you must approach while it is looking away.
Objective: Return the prisoners to Quetz’lun

She Hunts – “The Mistress readies to hunt the prey you’ve gathered for her. You have been chosen to join in the hunt, a great honor.”
Objective: Enter the maze in the Heart of Xibala and join her in hunting and defeating the Grove Tender and the Tricky Faerie. Xibala will charge down the hallways of the Heart of Xibala, killing everything she comes into contact with. Use your skills and abilities to ensnare and trap foes within the path of Xibala as she charges through.
Objective: Locate the Fleeing Child of Marasmius in the maze in the Heart of Xibala.
Objective: Defeat the summoned defenders through the rifts opened by the Wailing Child of Marasmius.
Objective: Help hide the Child of Marasmius from Xibala’s Hunt
Objective: Try to force the Child of Marasmius to return through one of its portals
Objective: Name the Child of Marasmius.

The Heart of Xibala – “The Heart of Xibala is a maze of catacombs, a deep place where she holds dominion, hunting down her prey and relishing in her power. Apparently the lost fungal being brought from Ardenweald can open portals to its homeworld. This is a hidden boon, stocking the catacombs with fresh prey for the mistress’s pleasure so long as it doesn’t flee back to Ardenweald. This may be the perfect solution. One complication, if she catches the fungal being, she will eat it regardless of the benefits of keeping it alive. Help the mistress hunt but try to direct her hunger appropriately.”
Objective: Enter the Heart of Xibala and begin the Heart Hunt Event. Complete the event successfully, feeding foes to Xibala by using your skills to ensnare and trap foes in Xibala’s path as she charges through the hallways and hunts her prey. Prevent Xibala from killing the Child of Marasmius as it wanders through the tunnels, using your Taunt, Death Grip, and other skills to keep it from the path of Xibala’s hunt.

• Reward: Unlocks the Heart Hunt Challenge; Reward: Glyph of Xibala’s Roar (Death Knight Glyph, Berserking; Whenever you activate Berserking, the Avatar of Xibala heralds you with a mighty roar); Unlocks Glyph of Xibala’s Roar Inscription Pattern at the Hall of Partings vendor.

• Unlocks the Heart Hunt Challenge in the Heart of Xibala (Death Knight Frost Specialization Proving Grounds). The Heart Hunt Challenge requires that you defeat or ensnare Ardenweald foes and ‘feed’ them to Xibala by keeping them in the path of Xibala as she charges through the maze. Additionally, Death Knights must protect the Child of Marasmius summoning Ardenweald victims by using their skills to keep it from running into the path of Xibala. The strength of the enemies, speed of Xibala, amount of prey required to sate Xibala, and speed of the Child of Marasmius changes with increased difficulties. Completion of different difficulties rewards access to the Devourer tint of the Fang of Xibala cosmetic set available from vendor in the main hall.

Quest Giver: Bound Spirit of Hez’tok
Bound by Tradition – Once again a spirit approaches you, visions of the Echo Islands and a spirit dance filling your mind, drawing you to return to Witch Doctor Hez’tok. These visions seem to be getting clearer.
Objective: Speak with Witch Doctor Hez’tok in the Echo Isles
Objective: Speak with Nazgrim and discuss how to break the Death Knights away from Xibala.
Objective: Defeat Bwonsamdi’s Bounty Hunter
Objective: Speak with Bwonsamdi

As part of this quest, heroes can participate in the following exchange:
Witch Doctor Hez’tok: This is untenable, Nazgrim. Our people are being split into factions by de dead, forced into a war we have no desire to fight. Either our raised brethren die again to fight for Bwonsamdi or be inducted into servitude under Xibala. I do not know how long it be before dey decide de Other Side be too small for both of dem.
Nazgrim: The irony is not lost on me, Witch Doctor, nor is it that you called to me, of the four horsemen, to consult.
Hez’tok: Despite our differences, I understood your loyalty to your warchief. We fought on different sides during de rebellion, but that means you know more than most what drives my people.
Nazgrim: I will fight for you, whatever your decision, I owe the Darkspear Tribe that much, but is there no chance for a settlement? You have always seemed to be the favored people of this Bwonsamdi.
Hez’tok: We stand between two Loa, both stubborn and powerful, used to getting dere way. Bwonsamdi has already made his decision, but I worry what would have to be sacrificed to cause him to call off his collection.
Bwonsamdi: As well you should, spirit talker. My ears be burnin and lo and behold, de fool dat raised Xibala from her tomb is before me. Tell me, is eternal servitude in my army all dat objectionable compared to being devoured at the whims of de Loa of Rot? Hmmm?
Hez’tok: Please, Loa, we beseech you, hear dese pleas, dere is a deal to be struck, I am sure!
Bwonsamdi: No, no more deals. I will have what is due. Your soul be mine! Now get in de jar!
Bwonsamdi pulls the soul of the hero into a soul jar and teleports to De Other Side

Quest Giver: Bwonsamdi
Escape From De Other Side – “Welcome! You now be a member of my eternal army. This be nice, yes? No worryin bout whether de Loa of Rot will devour you or your friends, only worry now is that De Other Side be safe from prowlers and soul thieves. It take a century or so for a soul to get truly used to dese duties, but eh think you be better than de average soul.”
Objective: Train in your new form, learning to move about and defend De Other Side
Objective: Defeat the Ardenweald Spriggans that break in
Objective: Defeat the Broker Thieves that break in
Objective: Defeat the Adventuring Party that breaks in
Objective: Fight the Ebon Blade infiltrators
Objective: Have your soul taken by Nazgrim and reunited with your body.
Objective: Escape De Other Side with Nazgrim and Witch Doctor Hez’tok. In the glade, survive the standoff between the forces of Xibala and Bwonsamdi.
Objective: Survive the wrath of the Winter Queen

Quest Giver: The Winter Queen
Winter of the Soul – “This is MY domain. I do not care about your petty quarrels over a single mortal world, but your continued insolence and reckless disregard for the souls under MY care will not be tolerated. If I catch either of these children fighting here in Ardenweald again, I will not be lenient. I recommend you take advantage of this stalemate to impress upon them that their continued existence is dependent on my good graces.”
Objective: Speak with Xibala
Objective: Speak with Bwonsamdi
Objective: Choose to either follow Xibala, Bwonsamdi, or neither. This will have cosmetic effects on the remaining campaign.

Negotiated Settlement – “Both Xibala and Bwonsamdi have one thing in common – they desire de same soul, other den yours. Xibala seeks the remnants of Rezan to devour, while Bwonsamdi believes Vol’jin be his. As it stands, dey seek de whole soul for dere purposes. Perhaps, if a plan is proposed to split Vol’jin so dey both get what dey want? If dey are both workin towards developing a way dey both get something, it will be enough cause dem pause. For now.”
Objective: Bring Hez’tok’s plan to Bwonsamdi and Xibala, get them to agree.
Objective: Take the Spirit Gate to Atal’Xibala and speak with High Prelate Rata.

• Reward: Doorway to De Other Side (Death Knight Glyph, Death Gate); You summon a Death Gate formed from Loa magic. Be careful, travel through the Shadowlands is risky.

Part 4: Dealing with Death

The Ritual of Blood – “Now we enact my plan. I have not been researching a way to split apart Vol’jin’s soul, but instead on how to empower his spirit while it is being reborn, so dat neither Bwonsamdi nor Xibala would be able to take him. It appears dat one of the Atal’ai, followers of Hakkar stumbled upon rituals of Mueh’zala that allows one to funnel anima from the living world to de Shadowlands. Dey used blood and anima siphoned from corrupted Green Dragons, however de ritual can supposedly be changed depending on de Loa or spirit being empowered. To my knowledge, de ritual was known by two: Yeh’kinya and Jammal’an. One is still missing, the other died in the Temple of Atal’Hakkar. Ready for a dive?”
Objective: Gather the Fangs of Xibala, speak with High Prelate Rata
Objective: Travel to the Swamp of Sorrows in the Eastern Kingdom, meet the warhost outside the Sunken Temple

The Wall of Sorrow – “Deep below is de temple of Atal’Hakkar, place where de Loa of Blood was reborn using de corrupted blood of de Green Dragonflight. De ritual dey used, one of rebirth, hastened Hakkar’s passage through de Shadowlands. We must use dis to assist Vol’jin. Dis is a strange day, our war party found a group of Huojin here, seeking de same secrets. Rather den fight, we will journey within together – with dere strength and my knowledge, perhaps we can find our prize.”
Objective: Speak with the Darkspear loyalists, Ebon Blade, and Huojin representatives.
Objective: Speak with Witch Doctor Hez’tok to begin “The Wall of Sorrow” scenario. The scenario is shared with the Huojin Pandaren Death Knight campaign.

Scenario: The Wall of Sorrow

The secrets of the Atal’ai in their resurrection of Hakkar are necessary for plans to head off a war between the Loa Xibala and Bwonsamdi by hastening Vol’jin’s rebirth. Setting aside their differences for the moment, the forces still loyal to Vol’jin’s Horde, along with the Ebon Blade and some intrepid Pandaren adventurers, delve into the depths of the Temple of Atal’Hakkar to discover the resting place of the secrets of the defeated sect of Hakkar’s worshippers.

Phase 1: Diving into the Darkness
Heroes must defeat the risen followers of Hakkar that have infested the ruins, rising to protect the secrets within from intruders after the temple was abandoned by Troll and Dragon alike. On reaching the depths of the Temple, they must dive into the refuse pit, encountering the powerful guardian of the sunken tombs, the Atal’Alarion, with the following interaction upon its demise:

High Prelate Rata: Vile beast, begone! Quick Hez’lock, bind its soul before its spirit inhabits de body once again.
Reya Brightfist: It revives again and again, this is the power we seek for Yu’lon! Must you destroy it?
Witch Doctor Hez’tok: Spirits of the Darkspear, hear me, steal away de soul, bear it to De Other Side! Break de shackles, break de bindings of life! This vessels work is long over, let it rest!
Spirits rise from the pit to take the soul of the Atal’Alarion and drag it down into the darkness.
After defeating the Atal’Alarion, the pit begins to fill with water:
Reya Brightfist: The water rises! Oh no… wait, there is a passage up the wall! Quick, through there before we drown!

Phase 2: Tomb of Lilath’ai
Having discovered the tomb and sanctum of the Atal’ai High Priest at the time of the war between the Zandalari and the Gurubashi, the adventurers seek to find the secrets and powers that scared the Zandalari so much that the Gurubashi Empire was decimated. On defeating the undead guardians of the tomb and exploring its depths, the heroes enter the sanctum of Lilath’ai, and her secret archive, the Wall of Sorrows. On entering the sanctum, the following interaction occurs:

Witch Doctor Hez’tok: Dis… dis is a powerful, horrible place. Dis be the archives of de High Priestess of Hakkar, the cause of the war dat was de downfall of de Gurubashi Empire. De Wall of Sorrows.
Reya Brightfist: Look at all these scrolls! All these spells, and history! How is this a wall of sorrows?
Hez’tok: De secrets entombed here, dey are rumored to be de greatest trove of death magics of de empire, for Hakkar’s personal use. From here, dey developed a ritual dat would empower Hakkar’s avatar, making him Loa above all, even Mueh’zala. Dese secrets launched navies, assassinations, de horrors of war. Dese secrets caused de greatest sorrow our people have ever known.
Warlord Dejanji: And now, puny Troll, the secrets of the Gurubashi will serve to form a new empire, a Mogu empire! With these powers, I will revive Lei Shen, and our people will rebuild our glory!
High Prelate Rata: To arms soldiers, de Mogu have infiltrated from behind! Protect de archives! We will take care of dis fool.
Reya Brightfist: I’m sorry, the Mogu must have followed us here. Huojin, defend the archives, Yu’lon is depending on us!

After defeating Warlord Dejanji, he utters the following before death:
Warlord Dejanji: So close… to glory. All of you, ALL OF YOU… will… perish.

Peacebringer – “While Hez’tok does his research, we must return and maintain de peace between Xibala and Bwonsamdi. I imagine it will take some time for him to find de right ritual, and den refashion it so we can empower Vol’jin without sacrificing others. I do not know what de future brings, but, dis Wall of Sorrow may yet save us all.”
Objective: Return to Atal’Xibala and interrupt the meeting between Xibala and Bwonsamdi
Objective: Agree to help ‘teach’ and ‘empower’ Vol’jin when he is reborn.
Objective: Assist High Prelate Rata in the ritual to take on Xibala as her Loa.

Bwonsamdi: Ahh, speak of de spirit, ye finally grace us with your presence. Tell us, where did ye go, hmm?
Bwonsamdi smiles menacingly at the hero.
Xibala: I tire of your games usurper, you came to offer a deal and I accepted. Begone.
Bwonsamdi: Come Xibala, we’re friends now! Teachers and parents both! Let us tell de little troublemaker just what kind of horror he unleashed.
Xibala: We have come to an agreement on Rezan’s soul.
Bwonsamdi: Vol’jin’s soul, really.
Xibala growls at Bwonsamdi
Bwonsamdi: Fine, fine, de brat’s soul.
Xibala: As his dearest, adoring, loving mother, it has come to my attention that Rezan will not be reborn at full power. He will have another name, another soul worthy of being a loa fighting his. This will not do. There must be a decision.
Bwonsamdi: So, we be sharin custody.
Xibala: When this… Vol’jin is reborn he will be weakened, and require sustenance, teaching in the ways of the Loa and spirits. I will work to encourage Rezan’s soul to grow and feed upon his form, so that when he is ready, it is Rezan that I devour.
Bwonsamdi: But, if Vol’jin remains in control, and is not Rezan by de time he comes into his power, den Vol’jin is mine to do with as I will.
Xibala: We shall see. There are two little details, though. First, the souls of your people, little morsel, have been freed from Bwonsamdi’s decree. The other Loa, however weak they are, will respond to you again.
Bwonsamdi: In exchange, you be helpin us teach Vol’jin, so we both keep our hands… and teeth… to ourselves.

Xibala: The second, is that Rezan’s morsel is now mine. I will devour her in promptly in celebration of this deal.
High Prelate Rata: Wait, why? As a follower of Rezan I would rather be helping this soul become my Loa again!
Xibala: Apparently this Vol’jin shares many of my child’s more annoying qualities of temperament. No, I will not have him swaying you. Now be quiet till I’m ready to feast.
High Prelate Rata: Xibala, do not be a fool. I am a member of de Zanchuli Council, leaders among de Zandalari, I have de ear of the Queen Talanji. We need not be enemies, and if you do devour me, then de might of de empire be fighting you, rather den embracing you as de Loa of Queens. Why risk going to war with all de Loa and dis new bargain?
Xibala: Bwonsamdi told me you are of no account in Zandalar, that your standing was gone with Rezan… but if what you say is true, then I will let you live. I do like the thought of being the Loa of Queens. Fine. Pledge yourself to me, become my Prelate, and you will remain uneaten. As the mother of Rezan, I claim all of his Rastari as mine. Those that do not submit shall be feasted upon.
High Prelate Rata: I… yes Loa.

Bwonsamdi: Bah, I was almost rid of you and your influence on Talanji. Fine, do with your meals what you will Xibala, but I expect our deal to be followed.
Bwonsamdi opens a gateway to the other side, and turns before stepping through
Bwonsamdi: As for you, troublemaker, I be keepin a good eye on you. De secrets of de dead be full of sorrows, eh? I be warnin ye, delve too deep and ye be waking things worse den an overfed Loa.

Quest Giver: Dark Prelate Rata
The Hunger Within – “The might of Xibala flows through me, empowering me as her son’s strength once did. It is familiar, but… different. Is dis what it feels like to use death magic? De divine might and surety of Rezan replaced with… a need… a hunger for more power. I must fight dis. I must go tell Talanji of dese developments, warn of Xibala’s return and… my fall. Hopefully she will still see me as I am, not as de monster Xibala is. Be well, , dis is only de beginning.”
Objective: Return to Acherus and summon a vision of Hez’tok to inform him of the new deal.
Objective: Inform Nazgrim of Xibala’s deal.
Objective: Return to Atal’Xibala and swear to the Fangs of Xibala, either as a member or advisor, to help teach Vol’jin and serve as his hand when he is reborn, and to use the powers uncovered by Witch Doctor Hez’tok to siphon power to him and make him too strong to be used by either Loa.

• Reward: Glyph of Bwonsamdi’s Bargain (Death Knight Glyph, Raise Ally); Bwonsamdi arrives to haggle whenever you raise another with Raise Ally. Bwonsamdi may extract a temporary price from a raised ally for up to 2 minutes after they are raised.

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this, feel free to check my history for a number of fun reads and certified hours of wasted time, such as my “What If” series of modern raids, starting with Molten Core, or more recently the beginning of this series of racial Death Knight quests, including a Gilnean and Draenei campaign!

[Fin] :partying_face: