"Dark" blood elf

Just a rebuttal—Not commenting on your intelligence:)

:thinking:

2 Likes

Please, stay here in the general forums more often. You bring a needed dose of levity to these otherwise grim proceedings.

2 Likes

“What I thought I’d do was pop into General Discussion and see if I could find myself”

I would rather go back to the 2018/early 2019 Reforged forums than hang out in World of Warcraft’s General Discussion for a more extended period of time.

PS: If I get to be the last post I’m just going to reiterate that the dark skinned blood elves in the Shadowlands alpha are A-okay and if you have a problem with it, there’s way more significant things in the Warcraft universe to think about and be critical of than that.

3 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 24 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 24 hours.

Nah, it really comes accross as highly nitpicky and biased; again, Draenei and Night Elves now go from Blue to Pink, that’s a BIG spectrum, but you only have issues with going from pink/oranges to brown; the later are literally closer in hue than the former, so it’s really not about color consistency.

It’s about having explicitly stated the cause of the coloration in one race (elves) versus not explicitly stating it in others (except in the case of Eredar, which is why Draenei can’t be red, coincidentally)

“Biased” sounds like code for wanting to call me something else, btw. I’d suggest you keep that to yourself, since you’re making some strong assumptions about what you think I must look like.

The only assumption I’m making here is that you already made your mind about something and are only using arguments to justify it. Literal confirmation bias.

I already told you that darker elves is just a slight retcon about how mutagen or natural elven evolution works, then you said that was not the issue and said it was because brown is just not close enough to be consistent, then I pointed out how draenei can now go from blue to pink which is by no way closer than peach to brown, so your complain isn’t consistent as such either.

I’m saying you have confirmation bias, I’m not saying why you have it, nor is my intent to elucidate it.

That’s not confirmation bias, that’s just having a stance based on previous lore reasoning and logic, and sticking to it. Confirmation bias would be more like all of you clowns that really, really want to call people racist about this, even though none of us are opposed to these options for the OTHER FOUR RACES GETTING THEM.

I saw a guy get called an Uncle Tom on Reddit last night for saying he wasn’t enthusiastic about it.

That’s insanity, not to mention gross.

Good for you, you’re not an authority figure unto me. You consider it slight, I don’t. I find it hard to ignore, but easy to reconcile with other headcanon. They’re half-humans to me until the event that I actually interact with one who presents a more engaging backstory. That is my characters stance on seeing an elf with unusual skin after so many years. It might very well be wrong, part of roleplaying is allowing your character to not be omniscient.
Deal with it in your own lane.

Yeah, a darker shade of ebony verging on purple would be more appropriate, and is also representative of some people in the real world if you’ve never noticed.
It also offers more room for RP, as it offers an easy path into storylines connecting both up and down the family tree (to Kal’dorei and Void Elves, respectively, for instance, someone who might want to play a reformed void elf that returned to the Horde)

Yes, buddy, some species have markedly more color diversity than others in nature. Draenei lore, to my knowledge, doesn’t address their coloration except insofar as the split with the very deeply red Eredar.

What don’t you understand about “elf coloration has been explained intricately in lore and can be witnessed across the entire spectrum of all troll-offshoot species”?

Draenei have received no such clarification, except that red means Eredar, and this is being upheld as an important distinction considering that Draenei players are not getting access to Eredar coloring.

You’re using “confirmation bias” as a very loose synonym, and it’s quite obvious because you’re using it in cases where the phrase is not particularly apt.

Save the college freshman’s list of fallacies for the Thanksgiving table and doing battle with your weird uncle.

I didn’t call you that, this is a conversation you should be having with someone else.

I mean Danuser said that all these options are within the lore, so retcon is the technical answer. But you are going to use your own headcanon that they HAVE TO BE HALF HUMAN because an elf could just not be dark skinned.

Okay.

This is you saying you like your headcanon. Because somehow is more likely for you that BE’s retained dark purple NE skin rather than the simple answer that their NE skin tones just became analogous to human skin tones. But for some reason it wasn’t an issue when it was conveniently only analogous to human light skin tones, now that there are browns, suddenly it does not make sense!

But for some reason that specias can’t be elves…

What part of “this is just most likely a retcon fo that” is tripping you? Okay so not all Nelves became white -not that it actually made sense on the first place- some became brown. Why can’t you accept that?

Again, I am using the term on its literal sense, you just made your mind about something and are disregarding logic that goes against it.

And I’m not touching you, I’m not touching you, I’m not touching you right back, buddy.

You and I both know that not a single soul within the lore community respects the word of Steve Danuser, a guy who has been self-inserting himself into the games storyline via Nathanos since he got his foot in the door 5 years ago. He’s not even a veteran member of the team, I’ve been subscribed to this game for 3 times as long as he’s been working on it.
This does not help your argument from any angle but sheer bureaucracy.

Blood elves aren’t “white”, that’s the basis of the issue. They are not humans.

They are not caucasians. They are pale pink and red. Calling them “white” because they’re pale is as accurate as calling pinewood caucasian.

Stand a blood elf next to a human in-game and you’ll realize their skin colors aren’t as similar as you thought they were. The existing tanned blood elf skins would be unbearably painful sunburns in the context of a caucasian human. They are not the same.

1 Like

So this is is the attitude you come up with when someone contests your arguments?

So it doesn’t matter that the person that has the authority to retcon the lore is the one that retcons it? It doesn’t matter if Joe Quesada mandated One More Day, it still happened.

Okay, now I know the kind of people I am talking with.

I know, it’s just coincidental that their skin tone is entirely analogous to shades of lighter skin! The levels of disingenuousness are just hilarious.

Borrowed authority, he didn’t create the franchise or anything, he started working at Blizzard in 2015 buddy.
Steve Danuser is not the authority figure Chris Metzen was, and we all know and agree on that except when it’s convenient to pretend he’s suddenly a respected author of lore

Referencing the guy whose self-inserts are one of the most groan-worthy parts of recent lore is not the hill you want to be fighting on, I can only assume you don’t pay that close of attention to lore or the community if you don’t realize this.

Calm down there, Anita. No, not everything is racist, despite your wittle sensibilities and feewies getting hurt. Loosen your manlet-bun.

Black blood elves make zero sense. No matter what argument you come up with - you’re wrong.

3 Likes

hahaha nice nice

They’ve always existed, the same reason blind humans have always existed before we could play a blind human. If you don’t need lore to explain how humans can be blind you don’t need lore to explain why elves can be dark brown.

Problem solved. Night elves have had a variety of skin tones from purple to white, you can argue whatever transformation that gave Belves the human pink and light brown skin tones instead of blue and purple is what gave the darker purple night elves to dark brown. Who cares.