Damage modifier hero talents are 100% pointless. What's your idea of a fun talent?

Sorry I should have specified per hit, not in its total damage. Tickle something fast enough and… the cumulative effect can be plenty significant. (Had to rephrase there.)

That said, it was hitting for just a little over a third of what Fury of the Eagle ticks for, in the streams I was watching. Are we sure the WoWhead tooltip is still accurate?

Sure, if it goes live at the stated amount, that would increase Rapid Fire’s (the already strongest MM ability) damage by 420%. …But that seems absurd even before adding on the high uptime of the 10% bonus damage effect.

It would fit the numbers seen thus far much more closely if it dealt 75% AP per second, which is 30% AP per tick, roughly a third of what FotE does per tick (considering magical/physical discrepancy from enemy armor).

In general something that actually affects your gameplay positively.

Like a proc, or generating resources, etc etc…

That’s just on the surface though, not every proc is good, some are not fun to play with.

Keep in mind, it was buffed by 50% today (along with Sentinel itself). Not to mention, it’s uptime is a lot higher than I think some people are considering.

yes, with it’s more frequent usage it’ll hit less per cast than wild spirits did, but a huge complaint about night fae back in SL was that when WS wasn’t up you sort of did nothing at all. I think making it 1) more frequent 2) easier to see 3) not reticle based is all great choices

I don’t see why anyone would think its uptime isn’t huge.

I mean, it’s already permanent through CA and Trueshot, and Butchery will keep it up for at least the first 30 seconds of each AoE fight on Survival.

If anything, the big problem will be probably back to back RF resets feeling frustrating on MM for wasted duration or wasted direct damage.

It can be preferable, sure, but… it just seems very weird to me to call it a Wild Spirits replacement when it’s just a RF/WFB buff.

It’s not meant to replace a CD or act as a CD. It’s a maintenance buff that rewards significant CDR (and pass certain thresholds, bankability).

In the same way you wouldn’t call Survival getting Kill Shot back a “rework” or current Razor Fragments a “Flayed Shot”, I can’t fathom why anyone would call this extra %vuln and DoT damage per RF/WFB… “Wild Spirits”.

I mean, when most people ask for wild spirits I feel like they’re asking for frequent smaller numbers that come from a magical circle on the ground—not a 2 minute cooldown that your spec’s performance lives and dies by. :dracthyr_shrug:

different strokes for different folks I suppose

Pretty sure no one has said they want a weaker more frequent Wild Spirits.

If CoTW, Combust, or whatever other popular CDs are anything to go by, hard-hitting 2m or less CDs that provide ‘bursty’ profile that people want for m+ or damage phases in raid.

Sentinal is just contributing a further ‘flat’ profile and that’s not helping make hunter more desirable in end-game content. It also doesn’t help that the storm doesn’t move so it has the same issue as Wild Spirits unless you want to throw a binding shot down - which you’re giving up a stun cause you don’t know how competent your tank is in a pug or who knows if we get another ‘kite’ meta like early SLs again.

1 Like

When your entire damage profile and viability is tied to a 2 minute cooldown ground targeted reticle, yes, people would want it more spread out.

This is exactly why I started this thread in the first place.

• Damage talent increases damage, looks awesome, huge damage… or flip side it’s really weak
  • Devs see damage is too high/low, adjust numbers
  • Now you are doing the same damage as before (relative to other specs). Your damage profile hasn’t changed, your rotation hasn’t changed
  • End result - talent is completely transparent. Nothing net new has been added.

I would much prefer to see things that give us options, increase our utility, give us awesome visuals, a thunder arrow that charges up from the sky, through your bow, striking the enemy idk. It just feels like not much thought was put into the hero trees as they are.

AOE - - - * - - - Single Target
          Burst - - - * - - - Sustained
      Automatic - - - * - - - Manual

Our talent choices should allow us to move that dot wherever we want (obviously with automatic being slightly less damage than manual). Instead it feels like the current talent choices are just flat damage that will be tuned and at the end of the day the talent has no effect on the game whatsoever.

2 Likes

I agree with you if the talent ONLY does the damage % increase like most of survival’s talents do. 10% to this ability or 5% to that ability is pointless, when they then just go behind the scenes and lower the ability’s baseline damage by 10% or whatever.

Those are different than ones that do something like your wildfire bomb cooldown is reduced by x when y happens, and wildfire bomb does % more damage. These additional affects can in some way alter your damage profile, so the % increase to bombs in this case would mean, along with the other change, that they expect your damage profile to shift to favor bombs more than before. Sometimes that lets you scoot those nodes you diagrammed, but sometimes they just let you favor one ability over the other that might not move your nodes, but could alter your damage priority list.

Agree, we have some of those things in the talent trees - just not in the hero talents. You get all 10 hero talents, so the ones that just increase damage (which is a lot of them) are basically invisible. They don’t actually do anything.

It doesn’t matter if a hero talent increases kill command by a bazillion damage because the base kill command damage will just be tuned by negative bazillion to compensate.

2 Likes

No, that part will have slightly changed, just perhaps not in both the AoE/ST and Burst/Sustain spectrums simultaneously.

In Lunar Storm’s case, AoE will probably be nerfed in compensation, but our profile will probably still be be more burst-driven, because it’s your burst actions that allow for more RF/WFB frequency and therefore greater LS uptime. That burst itself would feel more sustained now, because it’s spread over 8 seconds instead of the direct hits, but it’d almost certainly eat up a portion of the damage otherwise available between RFs/WFBs.

More importantly, though, a that-much-greater portion of our rDPS (i.e., damage contribution, just as we might consider TotS as coming from KC even though it scales with RS/MB damage) will come through RF/WFB, likely obliging whatever talents increase their frequency, which means that much less freedom of talent choice.

On this, I have to disagree, if this is at all meant to be tied to gameplay-affecting talents.

These slider positions would largely be non-choices for most PvE encounters and content. If you then tie gameplay into those slider choices of capacity, you’re essentially only allowed gameplay A for content/encounter types A and only allowed gameplay B for content/encounter types B, etc.

I’m not arguing that some of the talents don’t slightly change the profile or slightly change the rotation. I’m arguing that these tiny changes are not new xpack worthy and ready to be called “Hero” talents.

I’d rather see real choices in damage profile, actual class fantasy… something with substance.

1 Like

I’d likewise rather see far more flair and fun, yes.

That said, I think that between having enough impact to force particular real-talents’ builds and just being an overarching vibe, Hero Talents should favor the latter. But that can be done without being gameplay-insignificant or generally lackluster.

Vicious Hunt - Kill Command has a 20% chance to summon a random pet from your stable to fight for 6 seconds and causes all of your pets to lunge at the target.

Alpha Status - Your pets summoned by Vicious Hunt grant you their specialization bonus at 25% effectiveness and these effects can now stack.

Dominant Traits - When your pets damage an enemy with Kill Command, reduce the cooldown of a corresponding cooldown by .5 seconds.
Cunning = Aspect of Cheetah, Tenacity = Survival of the Fittest, Ferocity = Exhilaration

Pack Coordination - When you spend Focus, your pet gains 10% of the amount. When your pet spends Focus, you gain 10% of the amount.

Kill or Be Killed - If you have more than 50 Focus, your Raptor Strike (Surv) or Kill Command (BM) costs 50 Focus and deals 100% more damage.

Pack Assault - Casting Bestial Wrath or Flanking Strike resets the duration of your randomly summoned pets, summons an additional random pet from your stable, and doubles the chance of Vicious Hunt for 6 seconds.

1 Like

I still want to see 2 charges of disengage + increased distance, it feels like the worst mobility cd in the entire game, if it wasn’t for posthaste it would be

2 Likes

I like these kinds of changes that provide synergy between abilities. Way better than flat damage modifiers, and just as easy for them to implement. Basically this makes kill command not just part of your rotation, but now it also feels good to use it because you know you’re gaining stuff in the background… Saving up…

Edit: Also just realized your pet family choice dictates which ability it reduces… very interesting I love it.

1 Like