Dalaran should return to Alliance

With the Horde starting an unjust war and commiting genocide, one of the punishments is that Dalaran should become an Alliance city once more.

The Horde already got Suramar with the Nightborne.

What do you think?

7 Likes

Khadgar’s resentment of the faction conflict would probably be a barrier to that, as would Jaina’s lingering regret for the purge. Could make for an interesting story, though.

10 Likes

Please take it, I want any trace of human magic out of the Horde.

Give Silvermoon and Suramar some of the spotlight.

36 Likes

I still don’t understand why Khadgar didn’t aid the Alliance against the Horde.

I would understand if it was a morally grey conflict, but it wasn’t. The Horde under sylvanas was acting like the Iron Horde and old Orcish Horde, both he fought when they threatened the world.

So why not help the Alliance end the war by bringing Sylvanas to justice?

8 Likes

If Dalaran dares betray its neutrality again, I think the Elves will have to dig up the spell Sintharia was going to use to deprive the Kirin tor of their magic, permanently. Ungrateful humans have done nothing but betray those who taught them magic anyway, id say its time the Elves take their magic back.

Imagine the hilarity that will ensue when Jaina becomes a witch with no powers.

7 Likes

Two things. One, I think that Sylvanas’ actions to start the war were a huge mistake from a writing standpoint. You’re right. The entire thing became a mess instantly.

That said, the best case as to why he did not is that his experience with the Legion invasion lead him to establish strong bonds with Horde champions that he feel served as admirably as the Alliance did. He also believes there are greater threats at work. The Guardian has always worked this way, even back in WC3.

12 Likes

The fact that he saw a good side to the Horde in dealing with the Horde champions, is one of the reasons why he should have gotten involved on the Alliance side.

But not just fighting the evil Horde loyal to Sylvanas, but also work in helping Sarafang lead the “honor horde” against Sylvanas.

Yes there are greater threats, but its true that Sylvanas’s Horde was one of those great threats to the world, and could have won if things went differently.

No reason why he can’t focus on various threats instead of secluding himself.

Did he even find out about the burning of Teldrassil or did that information never reach him?

Because if it did and he still ignored the cries of the innocent against horde aggression, then he isn’t much a guardian of the world.

Feel like we didn’t see him simply so the player doesn’t get burnt out of Khadgar, kind of like they made Thrall take a long break.

I personally love Khadgar, but I could see a lot of players getting burnt out of seeing him, and working with him constantly.

7 Likes

Also didn’t blood elves and Sunreavers help build the city? So they have every right to be there.

9 Likes

I don’t see that being much of a barrier, the Kirin Tor ousted one leader when they disagreed with their decisions they could do it again. “Are you insane Khadgar? The Horde committed genocide, we cannot possibly condone that.”

1 Like

Whatever they do with Dalaran, like the rest of the faction war, I want that to be the end of it. No more Yo-Yoing. If we never see Dalaran again, all the better, imo.

I have personally never bought Khadgar as a strongly neutral figure, I don’t think it’s a story that makes a lot of sense given his young adult life – that’s the kind of formative background that leaves people somewhere on the Proudmoore scale imo, from Daelin to BFA Jaina. But they committed to it and as long as Khadgar runs Dalaran I think him finding literally any reason to stop being neutral now would make the story worse and degrade his character.

Similarly while Dalaran could oust Khadgar, I think that makes the city feel tepid and weak. With a different property it’d be an interesting look into the fragile politics of a mageocracy but this is not the series for that.

As I said earlier, given what Sylvanas did the Horde should have been dismantled and the Forsaken put under occupation. The plotline was a disaster and should never have happened.

But we are where we are, and they can neither go back nor go forward with making the Horde literal villains. Here we are.

I understand they can’t change the past. But Blizzard could still write a future in which Dalaran/Khadgar do treat the Horde differently then they did pre BfA because of the war of thorns. Part of that difference being Dalaran becoming Alliance.

He shouldn’t become someone who wants to see the Horde wiped off the face of Azeroth, but its out of character for him to ignore what Sylvanas Horde did.

You give the elven races too much credit. Elves have only ever had strong magical capabilities due to them having fonts of power to draw from.

Remember, an Elf is just a Troll with a well.

I remain completely unconvinced that Elves would be able to pull off such a spell.

3 Likes

Meta analysis:
Khadgar has been overexposed as said before. Notice how the other people who were prominent in Legion do not show up much for BfA. Velen didn’t, nor did Illidan. While Thalyssra and Alleria did they’re blink and you miss it. Only the faction leaders, Nathanos and Genn have, with the exception of Tyrande/Malfurion, but they were not heavily used in Legion in my opinion. The characters that got actually used are mostly not used this expansion.

Lorewise Analysis:
Khadgar is “too old for this s*it”, and he does have bonds with Horde characters to a degree. Dalaran also did the Horde and especially the blood elves dirty twice (even if the blood elves did some bad stuff in the faction war they do not deserve to be purged racially out of the city for it). Dalaran could try to vote to help the Alliance but at least Khadgar and Modera would object, so would Aethas, and Kalecgos.

4 Likes

So because he has bonds with Horde characters, that means he would not allow Dalaran to help against Old Horde/Scourge LARPING?

It would not sit well with me if Khadgar knew what happened to the night elves, but still never raised a hand against the Horde.

Even Anduin didn’t let his positive view towards Bane let that get in the way of what needed to be done.

The less societies are absorbed into the monolithic red and blue blobs that are the factions the better. Making everything Alliance or Horde makes the world artificial and boring. Let Dalaran stay their own thing.

7 Likes

Again we’re going to chafe on the writing here. You’ve got the writers in check-mate. Well done.

The problem is that there’s nothing to be said about this except that Khadgar doesn’t have anything to say about this. It’s bizzarre but so it goes. I don’t expect we’ll get much more about it in-game precisely because it’s a real black hole for character relationships.

1 Like

If only Blizzard let the faction war die after MoP.

Sigh…what could have been…

5 Likes

Yeah but Khadgar is a lot older and has been through much more than Anduin. When we saw him (which was before the Burning) he was just scoffing at the out of nowhere and childish it seemed to him when there’s bigger threats out there.

And I don’t think he would want to anyways frankly. Another issue, they Alliance has a lot more “neutral” assets and powerful assets than the Horde. We have Dalaran as “leaning on our side” and a spaceship. The writers simply want to keep that out of the story to make it seem more even.

1 Like