Cyberstalking

I have some people that attempt to stalk me for this reason and that reason. People who kinda just account stalk me and look up my characters pets and try to identify me in a community. Is there anything I can do via wow to stop this? I really don’t even talk to these people but I see and hear of them trying to identify me all the time. Honestly I just want to be alone.

Do you react to them?

Do you block them immediately and report them for harassment?

2 Likes

No.

Immediately.

Yes.

Beyond that it also spews into other websites and results in people just being unneccessarily rude to me. People I don’t know. They also do things like trying to get into my discords so they can take screenshots of my discord or my wow guild rosters. Even if I don’t lead those guilds.

Blizzard cannot do anything about that. Blizzard has no control over 3rd party sites.

If you control the Discord servers, you might have to restrict access to those who you know and screen heavily.

Are you giving out personal information (like alts, servers you play on, facebook, twitter…)? If they are tracking you down on 3rd party sites, there’s an information leak somewhere. Are you a streamer?

5 Likes

Not saying it’s right or excusing the behavior, but if you are living a public life on the internet, some people are gonna take things way too far. You need to get a hold of closing up information about yourself an be very selective on what information you give out about yourself.

If you are feeling threatened, you can always call the police, they have officers that deal with this stuff.

10 Likes

Did you…do anything to cause this kind of response from this person(s)? I will admit some go too far sometimes but you’re making it sound like some sort of server-wide attack

I play some MG characters and I don’t think I’ve seen your name mentioned once, at least in general chat channels

Anyway, I’ll echo the advice others have given: Cease any and all communication with the person, file a ticket if they circumvent the Ignore system, change your pet names and visible pets (I’m honestly not sure how well tracking someone by pet names would go, but I’ve seen stranger things) and if they’re trying to follow you on Discord, speak to moderators of your Discord to block access to them if they or others are harassing you there

If you feel you are threatened beyond the computer space, contact your local authorities

2 Likes

Ongoing Harassment is something our Game Masters may be able to investigate. It will really depend on the details of the situation. We do strongly recommend the following steps in-game:

• Place the offending character on ignore.
  • Do not interact with the offending character (chat/emotes/trades).
  • If the offending character bypasses ignore (using a different account, or character), continue to ignore and do not interact.

After they have bypassed the ignore function, you can open a ticket for the Game Masters to investigate. However, they will only be able to investigate and take actions based on what is occurring in-game. Anything that happens outside of the game (twitch, twitter, discord, facebook) are not going to be things we can take into consideration.

Of course, as the others here have mentioned - if you’re feeling physically threatened or unsafe please contact your local authorities.

4 Likes