Currently leveling in SL, do I have to quest?

Questing just isn’t my thing, I’m more into dungeons and pvp. Are there any mandatory quest lines that I need to do while I level? (other than the one that gets me to SL). I did see the world quest chain unlocked by choosing a covenant at 60, but it was unclear to me if that required you to do any other chains.

For the most part I would prefer to do dungeons, but if I have to do some of the quests regardless, then I might as well get XP while I’m at it.

If this is your first time leveling through, then yes. You will need to complete the entire leveling storyline through each of the 4 zones in order to unlock your covenant at level 60. Choosing a covenant is a requirement for any max level content outside of the ultra casual. (e.g., if all you want to do at max level is pet battles, exploration, and some mild achievements, but that would be about the limit. You won’t be taken seriously in M+, Raids, or Arena without a covenant and the player power gains associated with it.)

After you have one character at level 60, subsequent characters can level through an option called Threads of Fate. With this, after you complete the maw intro to Shadowlands, you choose your covenant immediately, and can level any way you want, without storyline quest requirements.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer!

So far, I’m very disappointed with that design choice I have to say. The opening quest line is fine, but after about an hour or so, it already feels like a grind.

2 Likes

Happy to help!

If you’d like the devs to see your feedback about the leveling experience, I encourage you to make a thread in one of the community forums such as Quests or General Discussion. Or by using the in game feedback tool in the help menu. Unfortunately they don’t come to this particular sub forum for feedback, so your concerns will be sucked straight into the maw here. Those are the places they frequent to collect player thoughts. :slight_smile:

1 Like