Cultural Headcanons

I’ve always incorporated Samoyedic cultural themes into my Frostwolves. Just feels like it fits well.

2 Likes

In elven society, since a headcanon that doesn’t fit here is elf ear sensitivity, earrings bought for personal use are regarded much in the same way that generally buying other bling is. Presenting someone with an earring, though, is either a grand proclamation of respect or romantic feelings.

Somewhere in my head, I like to think that in Ironforge, the legal drinking age is 11 or 12. And then, light alcohols. -but, still, dwarf city.

Tanning has become a vaguely popular activity among the orcs, as it makes one look somewhat weathered from working hard in the sun. In green orcs, it manifests in deeper shades of green, while in the Mag’har, it brings them closer to the Warsong/Frostwolf Coloration of brown. (They’ll be damned if they let anyone catch them tanning to cultivate that look, though.)

1 Like

It’s not tanning, it’s fighting the sun for dominance.

8 Likes

Chocalate is very unpopular woth worgen

1 Like

However, we’ve discovered a newfound appreciation for the entertainment factor of squeaky toys.

2 Likes

I just imagine the squirrel population wherever Worgen are just drops to nearly nothing in a matter of days.

I like to imagine that humans aren’t all just the stereotypical knights and Western Europe. ™

I’ve been rping my Pally as basically a medieval Eastern Roman and it’s given me a lot more joy than I would’ve got if I was just rping a normal plate-wearing Crusader.

4 Likes

While it was a great relief to see Argus disappear from the sky, many cartographers weren’t quite sure what to make of that big, red star that has since taken Argus’s place in the sky. They quickly adapted however, and sailors across Azeroth now view the “Southwest Star” as a handy makeshift compass.

Of course, few people outside the Legionfall Army know the mysterious star’s true nature - the Seat of the Pantheon, where Sargeras is sealed away. Hopefully for all eternity.

Though, knowing Azeroth’s luck…

5 Likes

This was such a good thread to read , I enjoyed everyone’s head cannons , so I like to contribute.

I personally made a troll dk to rp as a servent of Bwonsamdi , if u go to Nazmir there are two trolls who are called death walkers and are at a certain location to purge it for Bwonsamdi , I like to believe that the death walkers are like the priest of Bwonsamdi and the most devoted are blessed/cursed with a portion of Bwonsamdi’s power , their eyes radiate with power bestowed by Bwonsamdi and matches the color and hue of the death magic he uses , they share no connection to regular dks or the litch king , and they still are alive and breathing n need to eat n stuff. Instead of being walking corpses since Bwonsamdi doesn’t really like the undead. But they still have the power to summon the undead to serve them in combat and they use death magic.

I also rp that my garrison is located on Azeroth and serve as an outpost for my toons with my main being commander of the garrison.
I like to think of the ships from the shipyard as my own personal fleet with deferent characters owning deferent ships , my main is a black rock orc so i imagine his ship resembles that of an iron horde carrier, while my ah goblin has more of a smaller ship that resembles the boats u can drive in thousand needles, and my new addition to my team my Zandalari has a ship from the Zandalari fleet , I like to think that my garrison n small fleet serve a purpose during war time and sometimes rp that my ships got damaged and are under repair from the recent attacks on the zandalari fleet and capital caused huge damage to my zandalari ship and my iron horde ship which was stationed there at the time now both ships having to be repaired before path 8.2 when we get to sail to najatar I’ll rp that my iron horde carrier will go with the fleet sent to najatar and is prolly again damaged or destroyed during those events .

I also like to think of most class and race combinations as archetypes , such as my black rock orc warrior being a blademaster, or my Zandalari shaman being something like a Loa speaker , or troll dk being a death walker , I think it gives classes flavor , I like the thought of being able to play , a tidesage , shadow hunter , or sun walkers are dope concepts , I can never see two paladins the same , one could be a blood night and more of a warrior type and another could be a sun walker and more of a peace keeper with two deferent motivations

5 Likes

Starting a new Troll tribe is more complicated than just gathering people and calling yourselves a new name. The Loas your tribe has chosen must each give their blessing and shrines must be made for them for worship, sacrifices, etc. Additionally, two or more trolls must journey to Zandalar in the hopes that one can be accepted as the tribe’s official speaker.

2 Likes

Some Dwarven headcanon to break up from the all the gnomish;

Despite the prevailing theorys from all three clans about who started the hostilities during the War of the Three Hammers with the Bronzebeards and Wildhammers pinning the blame on the Dark Iron while the Dark Iron believe it was the Wildhammer as more relics and records resurface in actuality it was the Bronzebeards who threw the first stone. If these records are to believed that are written by a member of the Bronzebeard clan it was in fact a power play after the death of the High King to cement themselves at the top due to their stronger numbers at the time and allegedly multiple months of planning of a Coup. This information has not been made public and when the individuals who found this damming news brought it to one of the last members of the Anvilmars the former ruling family he told them to not release this due to the hope that the ignorance of the truth would allow the all but mended relationships between the 3 clans to remain.

Dwarven men are well known for their facial hair however very rarely a dwarf male will be unable to grow a beard or mustache; he is however not treated cruelly as a long running superstition is that a beardless dwarf is a sign that all men of his generation will be blessed with strong and long lasting hair so this dwarf is treated with respect despite the personal misery he might feel.

A chili cook-off is the equivalent of a bar fight in Pandaren culture and a bar fight is an actual organized sport.

The sport, as it turns out, consists of two teams of Pandaren starting at opposite sides of a village and drinking as much as they can before they meet the other team, at which point they fight.

Every region has its own team. The Halfhill Houseds had been the champions for six years running before the Alliance and Horde arrived.

8 Likes

My headcannon is simple, dwarven women have a thing for human men. A lot of rumors about the “farmers daughter” turn into the “blacksmiths daughter” the closer to the khaz you get.

When word first reached the Sunfury Spire that Umbric’s exiles had joined the Alliance, the aristocracy was delighted. Despite Lor’themar claiming that the newly christened Ren’dorei had been key to the Alliance’s survival during the Battle for Lordaeron, the leaders amongst the Blood Elves were certain that overtures between the exiles and the Alliance would fail, and that the Night Elves in particular would demand their removal.

After all, if the privileged elite of Quel’thalas, the Blood Knights and Magisters, couldn’t be more than begrudging allies during the Siege of Suramar, then what chance would a bunch of void corrupted misfits with no home have?

In the beginning, what they had hoped for was true; the Night Elves were deeply uncomfortable with the Void Elves, though the Burning of Teldrassil collectively weighed much more heavily on their collective psyche.

However, as time went on and the War Campaign progressed, Shandris Feathermoon and Magister Umbric became progressively closer as they worked together, with Shandris in particularly being impressed with the Umbric’s dedication to responsibly wielding his powers. With both influential leaders putting in the time and effort, both the Kaldorei and Ren’dorei have made inroads with each other.

The Void Elves see much of themselves in the newly orphaned Kaldorei, having had experienced both watching their home burn and being made exiles, and many Void Elves have gone out of their way to aid the Night Elves and Gilneans adjust with the shock and trauma of losing their home; it is not uncommon to see a Magister walking amongst the refugees outside the Stormwind embassy, conjuring food and water and offering what aid and comfort they can. In particular, those skilled at mental magic often come to the aid of those most traumatised, wielding their shadow magic to help reshape their minds and aid them in moving on.

In turn, the Night Elves see in the Void Elves what the Blood Elves and Nightborne lacked: Restraint. Unlike their decadent cousins, Alleria and Umbric have fostered a culture of discipline and reflection, with a deep focus on personal responsibility and appropriate use of the powers they wield. Between this and Tyrande’s regret at driving away the Nightborne, the Night Elves have generally been just as eager to befriend their descendants.

Over the course of the war, the Kaldorei and Ren’dorei forces have proven to complement each other. In particular, Shandris’ Sentinels and Alleria’s Umbral Rangers make for a terrifying hit-and-run force, with a rain of arrows falling on Horde defenders in the dead of night, charged with both Elune’s and the Void’s power, the archers dissolving in the dark with little more than a whisper.

There are even rumours that the most skilled amongst the Ren’dorei Ghostblades have begun undertaking missions with the Wardens; a prospect that would make any of their potential quarry nervous when night falls and any shadow potentially holds a vengeance driven elf.

Thus, much to the aristocracy’s frustration, the relationship between the Night Elves and Void Elves is turning out similarly to that between the Blood Elves and Nightborne; one of respect and mutual co-operation, born of a deep understanding of what the other is going through.

2 Likes

Death knights, or at least some of them, don’t like it when mortals use the phrase “suffer well.”

There are demon hunters that are trained by the Illidari, and more grassroots, independent, Illidari imitators, with some minor martial differences between the two. I take Sindweller and Voidstrider to be two examples of the latter. I also imagine that they do (or used to) convene, the ones that knew about each other, anyway.

Trials by combat are a thing, especially in cultures and orders that respect something like the Holy Light. The idea is that the combatants and sometimes an arbiter plead with the Holy Light to bless their cause and endow whichever combatant represents truth and virtue. Whoever receives such a blessing is obviously the victor, in theory, but the outcomes are often messier than that. Different orders, cultures, and arbiters have different protocol in such a case, but many of them roll with it, believing the outcome to be deliberate, reflecting the fact that such disputes are often more complicated than they appear.

Some blood elves still resent using the Light and the fact that the Light has restored their Sunwell. They see it as bowing to an Alliance god, one that they allowed to guide their life, along with the humans and dwarves, and returning to that faith disrespects the alleged betrayal that they suffered. That is not to say that they won’t continue to use the magic pragmatically, of course, but elves sympathetic to this view are also more likely to maintain their “eclectic” sources of magic.

1 Like

Amani Trolls and Forest Trolls are actually highly skilled musicians and absolutely love woodwind instruments. Musical gatherings are common occurrences with Forest troll culture with everything from drums to flutes, piccolos and clarinets being used often in regular concerts at the nearest un-ruined amphitheater. Ritual dancing will inevitably take place, and these events can snowball into gathering attention from Loa Priests who will use the festivities as a sign of an impeding Forest Troll victory, which spurs the trolls onto the Warpath.

1 Like

Adding onto this, the Troll Wars started out as a jam session.

2 Likes

This is a little one, but I imagine that Tauren cuisine is the best smelling food to ever grace Azeroth. With their big bestial snouts, giant nostrils, and exposed teeth and gums, tauren likely have the most powerful and finely tuned sense of smell of all player races (and Worgen too though it’s a lot more recent and they’re not stuck as a worgen 100% of the time so it’s less likely to have altered their recipe books and dogs will literally happily eat poop anyway).

I imagine on visiting Thunder Bluff, you’d occasionally get whiffs of herb encrusted salmon, perfectly grilled kodo steaks with caramelized onions on top, and slow cooked fall-off-the-bone kodo ribs.

I have bad news if you think cows won’t eat poop.

Arakkoa act more sluggish, are less receptive, and generally less capable during the night hours.
The summer solstice is the most important day of the year and starts a great festus, gathering light and warmth and blessing the bounty Rukhmar gives them.
They mate for life, a bond just as important as your clutch-brother/sister. Not only is an extra set of eyes to watch over and judge, it builds the community the Arakkoa strive to hold together.
Castes at important to their structure and rarely will once find a mate or be assigned someone above them.

2 Likes