Cultural Headcanons

Or “mine”!

1 Like

Tauren have a very varied culture. Even with their trouble at the hands of the centaur, I feel the tauren view we see is very Bloodhoof-centric. In fact, the whole Sunwalker movement being a cultural revolution is likely only among Bloodhoof tauren and those that sided with them. Netala comes from a tribe that always followed An’she, and lived quite a while with other tauren being confused at her beliefs. I like to play my tauren very open-ended because their native American inspiration was also extremely varied. Therefore you could have tauren fully fine with violence to solve problems, and tauren far more peaceful than the ones we have. It sorta sucks we don’t see anything beyond Bloodhoof tauren, or that the tauren subspecies are basically there to show what should be considered natural variation in the tauren already.

6 Likes

Ever since the Fall of Teldrassil, many night elves have been going through a crisis of faith, with Elune worship at an all-time low. Even Tyrande herself has been going through such a crisis, as the ritual that ascended her to Night Warrior sounded less like she was asking for power and more like she was demanding it, meaning she no longer sees Elune as a being to be worshipped, but rather bargained with.

As a result, some night elves have been exploring other faiths within the Alliance - from the draenei and their Naaru, to the humans and their Light, to even the Kul Tirans and their worship of the seas.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s odd. …everyone I rped with on my Demon Hunter Blood Elf loved her! She made friends and felt pretty welcome; maybe she got a few grumbles and glowers but …no outright hate that I can remember.

Not going to lie, it sounds a bit like you run amok of the same group who acts like MoP was the worst thing to happen to wow and probably actually hisses at change in real life.

1 Like

Or Tyrande herself. That’s what my dude has gone with. She’s ruled for 10 thousand years and is seeking righteous justice when no one else will. The Living God-Queen of the Kaldorei.

2 Likes

And every day, in every way, Tyrande becomes more and more like Azshara and I just can’t stop waiting for that other shoe to drop.

3 Likes

As a consequence of exclusively using reptiles as livestock, the Zandalari have no concept of drinking milk.

They are grossed out by races that do.

18 Likes

draenei have a thorough understanding of psychology and have actual psychologists, seeing as they’ve managed to go through losing their homeworld, being hunted down to have their souls devoured by universe consuming demons, fighting said demons for 25,000 years straight, seeing the bones of their dead be used as a road, and almost going extinct about 2-3 times total without going insane

Draenei artificers and Gnome engineers get along incredibly well and frequently discuss technology with each other

draenei are completely mystified by the concept of relatively harmless farm animals like cows and chickens because they’ve literally just only raised Talbuk, Elekk, and Mana/Nether Rays for various uses.

night elves hate morning sunrises

Zandalari are struggling to cope with how the Horde capital is in the middle of a desert canyon and has not a single pyramid in sight, and yet they somehow beat the Empire more than once

Highborne Night Elves and older Argus-born Draenei regularly come together to drink tea and discuss the Arcane

11 Likes

I can just imagine a zandalari delegation in orgrimmar asking where all the pyramids are and being surprised when the capitol building is just a building roughly the same size of as some of the larger buildings in org.

3 Likes

Blood elves really do consider themselves as having “evolved” beyond what the Night Elves are, due to their Sunwell-induced metamorphosis.

They prefer the Sun and daylight for the same reason they have created an eternal spring-like weather system in their homeland: because they never again want to go through the “Long Night” of Winter.

To further separate themselves from their less-evolved, wild ancestors, they have built cities where they are surrounded by walls and step on stone streets, cutting off the wildness of actual nature, and preferring pristinely landscaped courtyards where nature responds to them. The idea of sleeping on the grass or under the stars repulses them, with the possible exception of the Farstriders, who maintain certain older Night Elven traditions and skills.

In their evolved society, magic provides the basic necessities. No one is hungry in Silvermoon, and none have to work for a living wage. That frees up everyone to explore their passions and interests and spend decades honing their skills in the arts, crafts, or otherwise.

Silvermoon once had, and is still rebuilding, many museums, orchestra halls, galleries, etc. It is an extremely sophisticated society, and they tend to look down on other races who have not yet reached this level of finery. This also means they greatly admire their newfound Nightborne cousins.

9 Likes

I’ve always imagined many Forsaken are color blind. I’ve always RP’ed mine as such. Like, you know when your toon “dies” and you’re in the spirit realm–everything is in shades of faded monochromatics? That’s how I imagine many Forsaken seeing the world, and it makes it all the more poignant as the memories of vibrant colors fade until they can no longer recall what green or red (or whatever) really looked like.

16 Likes

As more caravans get raided by opposite sides soldiers gain a taste for food they never woukd have tasted. For example orcs really enjoy stormwind cheese and tauren really like dwarven ale

Also pasta is really popular in belf society

11 Likes

Pasta is not a “food” in Silvermoon, but rather a universal delivery method for pretty much everything else that they eat. Any meal that you make is fancier when you delicately arrange it on top of a perfectly-seasoned spread of pasta.

(… and let’s be honest, it’s the oldest social foodie trick in the book, and you just KNOW that Blood Elves would be the ones doing that if Azeroth had Instagram.)

7 Likes

i want to add onto this that trolls do this too but with chili

3 Likes

Pandaren eyes have a glow to them. I’ve seen it in art but in game it doesn’t really show at all so I don’t know if they truly do.

3 Likes

I really like this.

2 Likes

Tushui and Huojin are not simply philosophies, but also different combat styles.

Tushui-style is a deeply traditional martial art. It’s real world equivalent would be Goju-ryu, a martial art that originates in Okinawa, Japan. Tushui incorporates both circular and linear movements into its curriculum, combining hard striking attacks such as kicks and close hand punches with softer open hand circular techniques for attacking, blocking, and controlling the opponent, including joint locks, grappling, takedowns, and throws.

By comparison, Huojin-style is much more aggressive and kick-oriented. Indeed, Huojin is infamous for its various kicks including high kicks, spinning kicks, jumping kicks, axe kicks and multiple kicks of one leg. Its real-life equivalent is Tang Soo Do, a martial art that originated not in Japan or China, but Korea.

9 Likes

This is literally how I RP my Tushui’s combat style is like!

The Scourge use the unsettling nature of undeath to their advantage and even play it up for the express purpose of psychologically damaging enemies.

They leave bodies around, perform experiments in public, and even raise the dead directly in front of enemy encampments not because they’re lazy or trying to be timely, but because it terrifies people. It makes prolonged conflict with the Scourge by far the worst for troops, who to this day are reknowned for extreme cases of PTSD, moreso than any conflicts, even with the Legion.

10 Likes