Cross server bgs will kill the PvP community

Honestly I don’t see that ever happening.
The OCE community has on multiple occasions brought up the possibility of being able to choose to group only with other OCE servers (predominantly for bgs but also LFG/LFR).
So far all requests have been ignored and not even acknowledged.

Of course because same realm only queues are horribly unpopular in general. That’s why CRBG’s were added in the first place in vanilla.

The proposal included the 12 realms that make up OCE.
I think Blizzard just isn’t interested in multiple solutions because of the cost.

They would rather just make one decision and have it be the wrong one. As long as people are subbed they really couldn’t care less about the quality.

2 Likes

Hey come on, I don’t that sense from the Classic devs at all. So far they seem heavily invested in giving us the best Vanilla experience they possibly can.

Sorry, to clarify I mean Blizzard in general.

The Classic devs seem to be a really passionate bunch of people who earnestly want to bring us the best version of Vanilla that they can. I have huge respect for them.

I don’t have much faith in Blizzard as a corporation though.

4 Likes

You’ve been pro changes since day 1 dude. I don’t expect you to come around and pretend you care about Classic.

Crbg was an abomination.

5 Likes

I think CRBGs as battlegroups is the best compromise we can get (i am all for battlegroups). It can drastically lower queue times which is preferable to anyone who has limited hours to play. It also means that if you log on to do some PvP and there is an unstoppable/overgeared premade running on the other faction, you at least have a higher chance of landing a BG against someone more at your level rather than giving up completely on any chance of winning a game. It also prevents you from having to undo months of work leveling to cap just to re-roll on a server where your faction doesnt get steamrolled every time you play. It’s easy to say “dont play on a stacked server then” but i doubt anyone will have a real feel for how lopsided there realms are until the many many casual players have hit 60 after months of leveling and start flooding their BGs.

Battlegroups also have some advantages. Since blizzard will no doubt have access to the server faction metrics by the time BGs roll out, they can average out the faction ratios across a group of servers (helping with the very lopsided realms). Limiting the severs in each battlegroup to 4-8 also means that you will deffinitely recognize players and guilds of you are an avid PvPer (albeit a few will be from other realms, which isnt necissarily a bad thing).

I do still wish they at least trial non CRBGs for a couple months or two just to see if it will work (or at least re-affirm why CRBGs became a thing in the first place).

Well op is right cross server bgs will kill pvp community on those servers.
You may disagree but you are wrong it will kill it before it becomes a thing.

They should do what they did to nax and all the other pve and pvp stuff like not release it until nax because it came out after nax.

Only on backwater 3rd rate PVE servers.

PVP servers were just fine..

Play horde in Modern WoW; that has CRBG and the Q’s are more than 10 min on the regular while alliance Q’s are almost instant.

CRBG does not solve the problem, it only bandaids the problem for a short time before all the PVP talent goes to a single side to enjoy easy victory at the price of longer Q’s.

As a result the side that does not win gets tired of the constant losses and stops playing.

CRBG’s only make things worse over time, not better.

If you don’t believe me then you don’t pay attention to Modern WoW, the same CRBG tech is used today and it’s not solving the problem at all.

4 Likes

This is what kills me on these forums. Classic isn’t 15 years ago. Classic is going to have layering and then collapsed layering which in theory will result in healthy population realms with no need for any cross realm garbage. Stop championing a 15 year old horrible bandaid that will most likely not be needed.

This shouldn’t even be a discussion, unless they first prevent faction ratio imbalances, and until there is actually a need. And no, 10 minute queues are not reason enough to toss the baby out with the bath water in regard to every single classic player.

4 Likes

Every single classic player? It seems like there’s only an extreme minority that actually cares about seeing the same names on the other faction in a BG. Most people seem like they would much rather just have reasonable queue times.

CRBG’s solved queue time issues as well as some other issues for a very long time, the issues BG’s have to today have a lot more to do with a lot of other things the last few expansions than CRBG’s.

If you don’t realize that you are the one who hasn’t been paying attention to retail.

Yes, every single classic player (that does a BG) will be impacted by this. The question is not if every single one will care. You’ll argue anything to troll, won’t you?

Your original statement implies that CRBG’s are bad for every single player in classic, yet that is not the case. They’re only bad for the few people who are adamant about seeing the same people on the other faction in BG’s.

For everyone else CRBG’s are a good thing. For people who want good queue times they’re good, for people who might actually not want to see the same people on the other side all the time(diversity is fun for some people) they’re good, for people who are on a faction that would get steam rolled routinely in a seam realm only situation CRBG’s are good.

My original statement:

I write what I write. I cannot control your trolly interpretations and misrepresentations.

Then maybe you should choose your expressions better, the expression toss the baby out with the bath water implies that the entirety of something is being removed.

Whereas that’s clearly not the case, as I just showed, CRBG’s only remove a very small element of BG’s that only matters to a few people and improve it for many others. That’s hardly tossing the baby out with the bath water, that’s more removing one rubber ducky in favor of bubble bath.

For those that want solely server limited BGs, it would be gone forever. Seriously, what is wrong with you?

They could improve things for EVERYONE if they dealt with faction imbalance instead. Once layers collapse there will be login queues. They could easily have those queues balance faction ratios. That would be helpful for BG as well as WPVP.

1 Like

Layering does almost nothing to solve the queue times, all it does is expand the players each server can laumch with. It does nothing to stop the inevitable player drop off that will happen for many servers. To balance BG queue times it all comes down to faction balance, which no one can control. You are right that classic is not 15 years ago, as such players understand the massive benefit that the racials play in both PvP and PvE. Expect horde saturated pvp realms and alliance saturated PvE realms (maybe not crazy but easily a minimum 60:40 split).

Even if you could control the faction ratio, you have know idea what the players on each faction are actually keen to do. Perhaps the opposing faction has 3 method-esque guilds that cleat naxx the day it drops and run non stop premades all day farming honour to control R14. Perhaps the people on your faction are carebears who just like sitting in major cities, working on their professions all day and bantering in trade chat.

As such long queues will very much be a thing for many servers. Not only that, but if the aforementioned scenario plays out and you are stuck with the opposite faction having insanely geared premades all hours of the day. The you will have to say goodbye to the many months you have invested into your character and the people you have met along the way to be able to participate in PvP. Its not like you can forsee this for most realms either as there is no way of knowing what everyone will be doing 3-6 months into classic.

Dont take this too one sided though. In a utopic server environment no CRBGs would be perfect. The sad thing is very few servers are like that. So while some people might be having the most amazing experience of their lives, many will be swallowing 4hr queues (yes they will be hours, not tens of minutes). It is for these purposes that CRBGs were introduced.

Right so like you just said the only people who would care about CRBG’s are those that only want same realm only. So that is hardly every single classic player(as you just said) nor tossing the baby out with the bath water(BG’s will still be there the matching mechanism is merely being changed and for many people improved).

I’m all for the system trying to match same realm first if possible, but realistically that will never happen consistently across all realms.

Once they collapse they will leave healthy populations. Directly effecting BG queue times.

The whole point of layering is to counter that dropoff. If you are talking about years down the road, that is another matter entirely, and at THAT time something could be enabled to combat it.

Player caused issue with a player available solution.

My point is that something like CRBGs should not be a thing until such compelling need is demonstrated. Just because something was an issue 15 years ago with population spread over a ton of servers, does not mean the same issues will be there with the way they are rolling out classic.

1 Like