Cross-faction alliances and two-faction players. Are those allowed?

In a nutshell, some (many) players of one of the strongest Horde guilds hold two accounts each (main horde, alter alliance). Together with the strongest alliance guild, they are making our PvP server’s power balance between them and the rest of the server, making factions close to irrelevant. That looks to me like a serious Code of Conduct violation. Is it?

Now I could go into more details, but I’ll just list some for now, like…

how it was repeatedly reported with no consequence for months,

how killing world bosses is impossible for both factions (except by asking them to include you in their mafia and adding up to their lapdogs),

how they take advantage of the Neutral AH to freely transfer items from one faction to the other without actually having the items change hands,

or, the most hilarious, how they could possibly get away with all of this despite having their main characters named X, Y, Z, etc. and their alliance characters named notX, notY, notZ, etc. (and something similar with their horde/alliance guild)

Imagine the repercussions this will have at the AQ Gates opening event.

Being able to actually chat with a GM when there was any kind of problem was one of the biggest reasons I recommended WoW to my friends, if not THE biggest. It inspired respect in me.
Now, despite liking the game, not being able to even find the appropriate pathway in the Ticket Labyrinth Menu for many issues, not to mention how it’s become impossible to have a chat with a GM about a complex situation, has made me feel frustrated and undervalued by the company.

After trying (me and many others) but not managing to even know whether this behavior is acceptable for Blizzard standards. I turn to the community to at least rise the problem.

What do you think? Is this legit? Does it happen in many servers? Is there any Blue Post about this that I’m not aware of?

Thank you.

1 Like

I can’t help you. But I’m making a rare post to say I agree with you about how being able to discuss issues with a GM used to be such a valuable thing, an access point if you will; always made me feel like a valued customer.

Beyond that, compliments for a well written, concise description of the issue you’re facing. I hope you are able to get some resolution.

Sorry for being off-topic…best of luck!

Rad

3 Likes

Basically yes. Blizz likes money and they don’t care about any faction drama they may create

I’ve never really had to, but I can understand how this would be a valuable thing, and support it also.

Classic should have GMs. That’d be great!

Activision basically allows rampant cheating and botting as long as it gets them money, and they don’t like to hire GMs because that costs money.

2 Likes

You need to familiarize yourself with Blizzard Logic. Unlike real logic, Blizzard Logic makes sense to no known man, Blizzard themselves could not explain their decisions, yet their decisions stand for years.

Example:
In the game World Warcraft, Blizzard split the player base via faction choice and pitted them against each other. On PvP servers, players cannot make characters for both factions and are stuck as Alliance only or Horde only on that PvP server. It is very important that PvP faction choice sticks and no exploitation from playing both factions on one server can occur.

Blizzard has also green lit players to purchase and run multiple accounts at once. This allows any player to roll on both factions regardless of server type. This is approved by Blizzard, and they’ve gone out of their way to clarify that mutliboxing does not violate the ToS. Paying more necessarily grants players greater access and opportunities within the game.

Blizzard Logic.

2 Likes

Money. Money is the only logic they follow. It’s why they tell people that are banned they’re allowed to make a new account, even if they were banned for outright cheating or hacking.

Perhaps there isn’t value in GMs then. If there was, having them would make money, wouldn’t it?

There isn’t value in moderating anything until the players all leave.

You should apply for a job at Activision. You have the right kind of short-term thinking that led to them hiding their subs from the public after they cratered from bad decisions. But just remember all those savings are going in Bobby’s pockets, not yours.

1 Like

Not interested.

Ah, you think that? Based on what?

:slight_smile:

A CEO driving profits at unprecedented rates for the shareholders. His bonuses are not a significant amount of their overall profit margins, but yes, he is much better at his job than most in his position.

I didn’t read this all (yet) but two accounts for with two factions is allowed. It was confirmed to be allowed since Vanilla. Angwe the ganker did it and the GMs in chat told him it was allowed.

2 Likes

It’s more complicated then that. Having good customer service gives a company a good reputation which can lead to added sales. Perhaps activision realizes it’s reputation is sht and never coming back. If vanilla was run like retail and classic, and likely their other games, I doubt that vanilla would have grown to 8 million subs to 10 million in BC to 12 million in Wrath. Perhaps they think there’s nothing they can do and that the subs are going to continue going down and they’re just milking the cow until it dies. I might tell someone I’m playing the game and why but I wouldn’t recommend it to a friend without a lot of caveats

Of course it is.

A Blizzard GM is a low-skill, low-requirement, low-pay job. I could imagine that a lot of people who play WoW would apply, and I suspect there may have been a great deal of corruption.

I do not have any insight into that, but it seems (to me at least) like a very obvious problem without very obvious solutions.

Blizzard/WoW as a whole was 1000% better when in-game GM’s existed. Even as someone who was punished several times for in-game shenanigans (nothing super serious, mainly just tasteless jokes in chat and whatnot), I think getting rid of in-game GM’s has contributed to the downfall of WoW (not saying the game is dead, just nowhere near as alive as it once was).

1 Like

As someone who is partially disabled (walking problems due to a bad accident last year), I would jump at the opportunity to have a low-skill, low-requirement, low-pay job like being a Blizzard GM.

I had a few discussions with gm’s in vanilla, BC and Wrath and they were great. Everyone I talked to had nothing but good things to say about blizzard customer service back then.

It wasn’t an insult, it was an observation.

In your case, you could also participate in a high-skill, high-requirement, high-pay job, so I’m not sure whether the point is relevant.

One example would be a software engineer. If you are interested in attending career retraining at a software developer bootcamp, feel free to send me some in-game mail, as your particular situation would qualify you for a full scholarship at a place I am familiar with.

This sounds good until you analyze how those profits are being driven. There are about 800 or so ex blizzard employees now having their old jobs filled by fresh faces with no seniority. Let’s not forget about the large appeal to the Chinese market.

Profit doesn’t equate to quality. I don’t think there’s a bigger mountain evidence for that than Activision Blizzard and Bobby Kotick.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t take it as an insult, I was just saying, I’d love to have a job like that :stuck_out_tongue: