Crit % Decreasing as level increases

at 51 15.89 crit

at 52 15.59 crit

No buffs. Same gear.

Agility per crit % formula changes as you level. Same agi = less crit.

6 Likes

You should see how much dodge is possible on a level 10.

2 Likes

You actually have a higher crit percentage at 52 than you did at 51… versus a level 51 enemy anyway… which is what the 15.89% figure is based on.

Let me put it another way…

Your Level Enemy Level Your Crit chance
51 51 15.89
51 52 15.27
52 51 16.34
52 52 15.59

Now, I made up the missing numbers to illustrate the point but that is basically what the crit table would look like.

5 Likes

This is why people are opposed to mob scaling where you get weaker and less muscular while leveling, but the mobs keep beefing up.

2 Likes

Weapon skill generally accounts for the difference when you first level up.

Cause you won’t have max weapon skill yet, so your crit chance on character sheet goes down, since it assumes attacking something the same level as you.

2 Likes

Mobs in retail don’t scale anywhere near what players do in the same timeframe.

Retail has two different forms of mob scaling. The ilvl scaling for endgame and the level scaling to match you.

Both are garbage, but the level scaling makes for a particularly awful leveling experience.

2 Likes

True, but I imagine most of the people leveling retail are loomed up.

I remember I was leveling an undead rogue one time, grinding the Scarlet mobs for some quest or another, and I came across this mob that was just hitting like a truck and it finally brought me down after a minute or so. I was like level 11. It wasn’t a quest mob, it was one of the level 30-something “guard” mobs for SM (the ones that are elite on Classic).

Anyone else remember playing Final Fantasy 8 for the first time and thinking how stupid it was when the mobs leveled up with you?

2 Likes

That sounds like that’s what’s happening. Every 5 weapon skill difference from monster defense makes you lose/gain 0.2% crit, 0.2% miss, 0.2% more parries ony you, 0.2% more dodges on you, etc. not sure why it is off by 0.3 though.

I’m pretty sure stat scaling based on your level doesn’t happen until tbc/wotlk. It’s fixed crit/agility at any level.

Just checked on my level 35 rogue. Agility’s conversion to dodge and crit both scale with level. I took off Triprunner Dungarees and compared the stat changes versus the stated conversions for a level 60 character provided here:

https://classic.wowhead.com/guides/classic-wow-stats-and-attributes-overview

The stat changes were more severe than what the guide states.

I will never play retail, or any other MMO type game that scales mobs to your level… It is The most unsatisfying, un-fun, lazy way to design a game.

1 Like

What I was talking about was how classic works.

edit: and it always did. This is not mob scaling, this is about how your stats are displayed as you level.

1 Like

True. Mobs grow stronger, while players grow weaker lol.

Case in point: at level 116 Legion legendaries stop working, and if you had them, your character will become significantly weaker as soon as they ding from 115, while the mobs become marginally stronger when they scale from 115 to 116.

Regarding ilvl scaling, in 8.1 players purposefully left their higher ilvl gear in the bank and wore greens because they were significantly stronger in leveling gear than in “epics”. When that got patched out, some players unironically deleted gear to get stronger.

This is pathetic and horrible game design, and one of the main reasons I stopped playing retail altogether.

2 Likes