Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

Haven’t crashed but there’s a jarring nauseating constant frame stuttering that wasn’t there before these fixes.

I’ve actually passed on frame stuttering feedback a few times. it seems to affect any type of GPU not just intel and i myself have seen and confirmed issue affecting my nvidia 1080ti.

The fix for intel users works based on feedback, but the fix introduced a new (although fortunately less severe) problem that definitely needs review

I ended up back on the Mac side of the computer for government things, and decided to try out the game. No crashes yet, been playing for six or seven hours, had one freeze that lasted maybe twenty seconds but the game continued. I haven’t seen any graphics glitches at all. They might have got it!

Now I miss the superfast loading…

Let’s put this a more relatable way:

Is it safe to resubscribe?

It’s been safe to do so since they added the “disable” work around. game was playable with a few things being invisible. Now it’s playable without having to make things invisible although with side effectof a bit of stuttering (which I hope they can iron out later).

Ah gotcha, I should have said from the standpoint of reasonably competitive raiding or pushing visions (both of which have probably departed anyway). Thanks!!

So much stuttering it’s giving me a headache

1 Like

For me, it’s been crashing with no warning. It dumps me out, and gives me an error message that says, “Looks like there’s a problem with your game. Give us a few minutes to finish this scan”.

So far today it’s happened three times.

I did have a crash today that required waiting for the ability to click close on the WoW window, so it’s not entirely back to full operation. But it’s way better.

Never mind, I just had to close it twice. it’s not better, I’ll have to play it only on windows.

and again

I had just zoned in to a battle ground and it dumped me out.

So yeah. It’s not fixed, at least not for me. And since I know I’m not a special snowflake it must be happening for other Mac users.

Technically playable, but the load times and the post-load loading (like I have “/console worldPreloadNonCritical 0” enabled, but I don’t) are still a problem. I wouldn’t have pre-ordered Shadowlands if I’d known I’d have such a terrible experience, because it’s obvious this won’t be fixed. Whether that’s on Blizzard or Apple or someone else (because nobody can agree on the root problem) doesn’t really matter to me. This just sucks, and it’s sucked for months. I just want to play my favorite game.

Lat 2013 iMAC running Mojave. Just resubscribed and tried to play. Went along for a couple minutes then the screen started flickering, completely change colors, and then several freezes for seconds at a time.

I got an external SSD a couple years ago that solved the load screens way back in legion. Can’t remember if I put in the load command as well

crashed three times today: twice when about to enter a BG and now when I was in chamber of the heart accepting a party invite.

Every time it crashes it scans my disk again which is good for about 10 minutes.

I’ve played wow since it opened in Vanilla always on a Mac. It has never, EVER been this bad, and I’m at a loss as to if I should keep playing or not.

2 Likes

Hello, I’ve been visiting this forum to see the updates to this. I just finished playing with not a single stutter… can you confirm? Maybe something they did on the weekly maintenance or stuff?
EDIT: just upped the graphical effects and can confirm, at least, for me, it’s working now… any blue posts or anything official? are some people worse? the only thing I can think of that I did was re-enabling an add-on.

Two crashes already this morning. Seems like it’s worse than last week…

Been reading about this for a while as I have been suffering through it. I was hoping it would get better but the game is practically unplayable.
I just bought a 2019 iMac and I thought that would fix a lot of the problems- the loading delays, the stuttering, the freezing and then the inability to even log out… It didn’t and I am not pleased.
I have been playing wow since the day it launched and I would expect more support from Blizz on something like this.
my specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac19,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 9 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: 1037.60.50.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.46f13
Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 580X
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 8 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67df
Revision ID: 0x00c0
ROM Revision: 113-D0008A-042
VBIOS Version: 113-D0008A1X-009
EFI Driver Version: 01.B1.042
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina
Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Not sure what additional info is helpful but it’s hard to understand why 8.3 basically broke Wow on Mac.

Would really like to enjoy the game again.
Thx.

You shouldn’t have any problems if using the AMD gpu to be honest. Just make sure automatic graphics switching is off I suppose.

well the loading problems will always be an issue if not using a full SSD do to fact blizzard is dead set on using CASC despite how inefficient it is, and it’s twice as inefficient because APFS file system from apple ALSO sucks really bad when not using SSD.

1 Like

I’ve been following the thread for a while now and been thanking everyone and everything I could that generally this hasn’t been a major problem for me. Now, however, I’ve also gotten to a near-unplayable state. I will try to be as detailed as possible, sorry for the long post:
Before, I would seize up when a lot of particle effects and notification popped up at once, making some dungeons and most raids difficult, but I could still do most content. The problems would be intermittent as well – sometimes a boss like G’Huun would cause everything the seize, sometimes there would be no issues. The other fascinating issue is that I can still interact with most functions on my computer: I can change my songs on Spotify, I can use guild voice chat, my screen just stalls out and I beach ball; in the past my machine would get working again after a minute or two, not I almost always either have to manually restart or wait for a kernel panic.
I crashed twice last night doing N’Zoth in LFR, which makes sense, there are a lot of effects and notifications popping up during that fight. yet, I ran 4 Horrific Visions today with no problem, only to get into a loop of crashing, restarting, logging in, hopping into the queue for the next one with my group, and then the system freezing when the box popped up to enter the instance. My old personal hot fix of turning my particle effects off does not seem to work anymore.
I would really hope that, since this all started in January, Blizzard would be close to a solution. I worry, however, that we may be a long way out yet. Here are the specs for my machine:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,2
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: 263.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.37f21
Serial Number (system): C02SVMEMGTFJ
Hardware UUID: C6F7FEDB-AA5A-54B4-8E51-D3484CF05BBD

@uldrision Hey, a friendly head’s up. “Someone” might have poked Apple, and through their Q/A contact in corporate, knows that there are engineers looking into the gfx card issue (in fact, they’re now playing WoW to recreate the issue). It very possible the engineers on “someone’s” side isn’t communicating with the contact Blizzard may be talking to. So you might want to tell your Apple engineer that there is a bug report. I don’t know if there is a way to DM, but I can give you the name of the QA in Apple who opened the ticket.