Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

Yeah… I really hope that someone is testing shadowlands on MacOS. If not I may consider saving my stimulus check and buying a PC once the economy stabilizes (assuming I even still want to play by then).

As much fun as it is to spend the money on a 6-month sub only to spend most of it at this point signing in just to find out things are still broken and then signing off in disappointment… I can think of some other things right about now that the money would have been handy for :confused:

I’ve lost like 5 visions because of this problem…

1 Like

I am on a Mac. Since Tuesdays patch, the game is almost unplayable due to lag. I am running around 9 fps and white streaks keep showing up on the top of the screen.

I have had no problems since fixes were rolled out for 8.3.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 196.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.30f2
Serial Number (system): C02RX278G8WM
Hardware UUID: DCA5838B-BAD2-5AD6-BA93-895E7E52EF33

I recently upgraded to 10.15, but now I’m thinking maybe I should have stayed on 10.13.6. At first, things were fine. But after a bit I started noticing some random lag spikes here and there. Then, last night, I was doing a vehicle quest in Nazmir when out of nowhere my entire computer froze, my desktop background turned black for some reason, and I got the beachball cursor. I had no choice but to shutdown the computer. I’m on a 2017 imac. I noticed this thread has died down a good bit, but this issue clearly has not gone away.

I’m still having problems on 10.13.6, so I’m not sure it matters, unfortunately.

intel gpu users are kinda in a jam no matter what. AMD users have mixed results with situationn being worse higher the macOS version. nvidia users have no issues at all from what I see

Yeah, it just happened again. Was doing a WQ in Vol’dun and my entire system froze right when I started combat, then after about a minute my screen just went black so I shutdown immediately. I’m gonna try playing with particle density at low to see if that does anything, otherwise I’m not sure what else I can do.

Lagging every time I target a mob, run, you name it… playing on a MacBook I7 16gb so shouldn’t be a problem. Hopeful for a patch soon…

I guess this will be my last post on this for now since I’ve now tried playing with the particle density on low as one of the blue’s suggested. This time, all I was doing was waiting on a world quest mob to spawn and it spawning (maybe it was the dialogue box about the WQ) was enough to trigger my computer to freeze once again and I had to restart.

I honestly wish my issues were just lag like some people, but I seem to be one of the ones that gets the worst outcome, which is my entire system freezing, sometimes my desktop background turns black (?), and having to restart my computer. I certainly hope a future update is going to fix this, but it seems this has been going on for at least 4 months now? So who the hell knows. I should have just stayed on 10.13.6 - I never had a single issue before I updated to Catalina.

I think it is that dialogue popup, that crashes many times. That may be why keeping the map up helped me get through the more dangerous areas, because the sound might pop but not the little talky box. That’s not all of it, of course, I’ll never forget that time I carefully skirted around the map-error-section in Kul Tiras and then tried to swivel the camera around to look at it…

You’re incorrect. A game can be sound and working just fine, but when they put in an update and a driver no longer works correctly with the game, the game developer doesn’t fix the driver. The hardware manufacturer fixes the driver to now work with what the developer has put out. Their game is just fine, however Intel/Apple are having driver compatibility issues, and they need to find where those issues lie. I dislike seeing uneducated posts dogging on a company that is trying to work on a problem…I do not like blizzard mind you but I still understand how drivers and operating systems talk to the hardware and a small update from a game can cause compatibility issues with said driver.

Well said, although there is an inherent problem that apple in general treats these kinds of problems as very low priority. They have many bad driver practices.

They never release a driver update for any OS version that’s not latest, period. a 10.14 or 10.13 user who can’t upgrade to latest is just screwed, period. It’s a bad practice that you don’t see on windows or Linux.

Second issue, even latest OS, they will only fix minor issues. Major issues that require fundemental changes in how driver works, they just push off to the yearly update. I half expect that the true fix not happen until 10.16 because of that. Apples development strategy for most part is .0 update has the major changes, rest of the OS is just bug fixes that don’t require major changes.

This particular bug fix is a major change, so you can bet 10.16+ only.
I know even intel/apple suggested direct ways to blizzard to TRY and avoid bug and only real sure way appears to have been particle effects being totally disabled. They had a new way they were sure solved it based on collab with intel and apple and pushed it, and the initial findings were positive so they removed the hack to disable particles, sadly a lot of users still have problems. i’m not sure why they didn’t at least ship the particle work around back out for time being though, instead of leaving no 100% work around available for those stuck in wait for probably 10.16

Just found this thread after posting my issue as well. I’m with you. Flickering and 5 seconds freezes. So like I understand we have no answer and need to refund the payments and leave?

So this seems to be an issue with just NVIDIA and integrated graphics Intel processors.
I bought a 16" MacBook Pro, and it’s been running the game flawlessly.
Also my 2010 Mac Pro, with a Radeon RX580 is now running the game great.
On the Mac Pro, this was not always the case. But a few patches ago, it seems to have fixed whatever was broken.

Ok I will wait their next patch then and then refund because it’s just unfair. Paid for all the upgrades and pre orders. And the game freez all the time and support not even answering.

The stutter is back…came back with testerday morning’s maintenance. Best way to describe it, every 0.5 seconds a “skip” happens in highly graphical areas. Nauseating. Have to turn resolution back down to an awful 50% to mostly, but not completely, eliminate it. PLEASE fix this

Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13 inch. Mojave version 10.14.6

Yup. Nauseating and infuriating. Stutter is causing eye fatigue and they have ignored this thread for a long time now. Annnd they think we’d refer a friend. lol.

I’m glad it’s not just me! I just bought a new Macbook Pro TODAY with plenty of ability to run WOW and was so excited to try it out. Well… the game is completely unplayable. I’m getting creamed in fights because my screen is so laggy. My old macbook air (that I bought the new mac to REPLACE) is running circles around my new macbook in terms of wow gameplay. Blizzard, please help us! WOW is completely unplayable for us rn.

Blue, it’s been almost 5 months. You really think they’re doing anything substantial? Blues don’t even post here anymore. We’re not worth it to them. We’re a write-off.

The stutter is doing some interesting things to my brain, but mostly generating hate.

Bruh the game still isn’t playable??? It’s July smh … I just came back to see if they finally fixed the game so I could resub again… I guess not

1 Like