Covenant Power does not equal Role Play

Arent conduits universal? They do the same thing no matter which covenant you are in, aside from the signature ability ones. Im saying are of them are tied to gether when you switch which covenants powers you want

reread what ion wrote down on his posts he points out why they cant just pull rip cord it isnt that easy as it litteraly requires redo covenant quests and such.

What covenants we have is an artifact of the choices that the developers have been making about Warcraft’s cosmology. The four covenant zones are themed based on the minor powers - since blizzard has decided that light and dark are now the overlords of everything. So you have Order (Bastion), Life (Night Fae), Death (Maldraxxus) and Disorder (Maldraxxus). The problem for Paladins is that they aren’t themed on a minor power but a major power (Light), so they don’t gel with the concepts of the covenants.

Is this what youre talking about? “Covenant abilities are often modified by covenant-specific conduits and soulbinds; most of those soulbinds in turn are unlocked through covenant-specific narrative campaigns. Granting access to one of these without the others would lead to an incomplete or confusing result.”

As a narrative, we dont need to know everyones backstory. The falicy is ever thinking that we do. If i choose to make one covenant my main covenant, and i work towards making that zone better and building its renown, but i want the ability, signature ability, and soulbinds of a different covenant, then thats fine if I dont know exactly what happened to those soulbinds. They had their own story with someone else, that i can check out on an alt.

1 Like

I dont see the covenants as based on powers, but personality. Bastion is serving a greater purpose. Ardenweald is revering nature. Maldraxxus is belieing in strength. And Revendreth is about redemption. Thats why no matter what class we play we cna choose any covenant, and why certain lore characters are in, not so obvious realms of the Shadowlands.

Incorrect.

Joining a Covenant is about being a part of a new, specific society with a unique position, duties, values, ect in the greater Shadowlands cosmology and the whole concept is built upon it being a singular choice, just like race and class, that will inform your character’s identity the entire time they are in the Shadowlands.

Untying any part of that negates the whole concept and therefore the whole basis of the expansion.

Moreover, this is Blizzard’s design and, since it is their game, they are entitled to design it how ever they want and this is how they want it.
Source: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/development-update-the-road-to-shadowlands/638371

So there are two reasons. If you look, likely you will find more. For me, these two are enough.

Paladins are canonically just Priests with swords. Priests get caught up in a struggle between Light and Void all the time, there is no reason why a Paladin can’t use shadow magic.

You can use the Light as long as you believe your cause is righteous.

The problem with that outlook is that they have said that there are many different places in the Shadowlands but these four are somehow the ones we are visiting and are the ones that have all of the lore relevant characters in them and they are basically themed around the four minor cosmic powers. It wouldn’t surprise me if the two zones that they add as the mid-expansion expansion of zones are themed light and void (with some sort of enclave of both in the other to ram in some good old yin/yang).

It does , you just refuse to agree with it

The fact you are complaining about it proves it work as there are consequences you are not happy. The crazy hashtag thread gave so much evidence of that :rofl:

1 Like

I just think people are overvaluing the Covenant abilities as something more than just flavor abilities; and because there’s so much competitive dross in the culture of this game that viewing it in any other way is heresy.

Okay yes i was being hyperbolic with “There is no reason.” But, i feel those are not good reasons. Joining a covenant is not really being part of a society. They all help each other out, and you can switch between them pretty easily. Leveling up you “join” each one and for reasons, you move on to the next one. I think its really cool to declare which one you want to assist most, and gain their aesthetics and build up that zone more than others. They need each other, they need you, and you need them. To have to choose between the aesthetics of a covenant or possibly(and very likely) gimping yourself will feel bad for many players. And if someone wants to choose a covenant for its aesthetics, AND keep its power they can do that to.

And, of course Blizzard can make the game however they want. BUT THAT IS THE WORST EXCUSE YOU CAN MAKE. The consumer can choose not to buy their game. They are asking for feedback. Im providing feedback. They said they had a ripcord, but now it will unravel everything? Then it wasnt a real ripcord.

How it is now will ruin the game for many players. Not for me honestly, my covenant choices and abilities for my 4 first characters are all picked and im pretty happy with them. Regardless of numbers. But, i dont see how being able to switch abilities will ruin the game for many others

1 Like

Well it’s hard to have Roleplay without a story.

And there is no story for picking a covenant. You go through the whole questing experience helping all the covenants and relaying messages between them.

Nowhere is it stated they expect you to pick a side, in fact they clearly state they need each other to figure out whats going on.

But for whatever reason by the end of the questing experience you’re just told to pick. Then they send you off.

And it doesn’t matter because the stories overlap, you do WQ for all of them and you grind rep for all of them. Covenant choice makes no sense story wise.

2 Likes

There are seemingly nigh infinite realms, yes. But, I wouldnt say they have all of the lore relevant characters. They have characters from the lore. Plenty of relevant characters are not in the story, as of yet. I am definitely interested to see where the patches take us

Some Paladins started out as Priests but they’re a bit different. Even according to the game guide, Paladins are holy warriors who use the Light while Priests are spiritual leaders.

They can make the jump from Priest to Paladin, but they’re not just “Priest who picked up a sword”.

It’s also not that a Paladin couldn’t use shadow magic, it’s that they wouldn’t. They’re dedicated to the Light.

Especially the Alliance ones as we’re a bunch of Light worshipping races.

2 Likes

Agreed. I wouldnt say there isnt any story, but its pretty week. Especially in regards to locking into one

I’m beginning to think people don’t know how actual ripcords work.

1 Like

Really torn between Kyrian and Venthyr for my Paladin.

Ripcord, a cord you pull to release a parachute and save your life. If they pull the ripcord and it unravels everything, it wasnt much of a safety measure

The venthyr paladin ability is thematically incongruent with my understanding of paladin. All that shadow magic that also heals?

Isn’t that canonically impossible for shadow to heal without also inflicting some pain? Eg shadow mend?

This is the RP incongruity that exists for me that makes it really difficult to approach these without seeing class Identity shift in pretty significant ways.

Now…all the geek speak aside, I don’t mean to dissuade you AT ALL from Venthyr. Was just my, umm, humble-ish take.

You say pull it and it saves your life.

Maybe Ion thinks pull it and all the careful planning and packing they did for a while is just released into the wind to do what it’s going to do.

Or maybe Ion doesn’t think we are in danger. Maybe Ion thinks we are on an escalator in a mall screaming about pulling the ripcord to save ourselves because we are so far off the ground.

I’m not trying to make light of your opinion but Blizz has heard the feedback and obviously thinks it’s still the right call.

Good idea or bad, looks like the debate is over.

1 Like