Covenant Class Abilities

The most productive thing you’ve said.

I think the system will be fine. Unlike Legion and BfA you’re going to have your conduits as flavour- much like corruption essences we have now. Some will be meta, some won’t, but ultimately you’re going to be adding some spice to your character. A bit of dps for tanks or healers isn’t a bad thing and survability for dps isn’t terrible, either. I think people are panicking they won’t hit “meta” and I think that’s fallacy.

1 Like

I’m anticipating greatly once the dust settles post release to see the players who expect this system to not affect them, or simply don’t care, to realize how bad this is.

4 Likes

For over a year now people have been crying for Legion… and they’re getting it but better. It’s honestly not a bad system now that I’ve been able to do more research about it. People have also done nothing but complain over Azerite traits, complained about the essences and then complained more about the corruption. There’s no way to please people. Meta pushers are gonna meta and if you’re into the meta then all you have to do is find the right conduit which is literally nothing more than people who currently find the best azerite traits or corruption gear. And here’s the thing- All RPG games have RNG. There’s no escaping it. If you got everything you needed on day one… would you keep playing?

1 Like

The problem is that you can never be optimal in all of the content you want to do.

If it ends up within 1-2% then whatever, it will be fine. As it currently stands, though, some choices are much further behind than that.

2 Likes

so what will you do when blizz inevitably nerfs or buffs certain powers. one day you are in the covenant you like but suddenly the ability you get isn’t even worth casting. that means you either change to a covenant you don’t like just because of power or you stay in the one you like but are vastly under performing.

this system is a mess. you know when people said the legion artifact system favored only playing one spec because of how long of a grind it was to make other specs playable? the complaint came to pass and there was a huge uproar when the majority of the casuals actually got to try it.

you know how people were saying at the beginning of bfa that azerite was crap because you had to farm azerite to be able to use powers you already had on previous gear (and don’t say it wasn’t talked about during alpha/beta because the system wasn’t released for testing until literally a week before launch)? there was a huge uproar when it affected the casuals and it was changed in 9.2. well after when it should’ve been changed.

for once, can you people look beyond your own selfish, short sighted ideals and see the actual issue before it becomes too late for a fix to come in a reasonable time?! the people testing these systems see these issues coming from miles away and time and time again, you all just brush them off as the ramblings of elitists trying to make the game play how they want.

did it EVER cross your mind that these people are concerned for the health of the game and not just how it plays for them?!

1 Like

There is nothing RP in these covenants. How the f*** you have a paladin using shadow spells or a warrior using arcane spells something “RP” in WoW? Have you ever seen that? Stop this argument “Finally some RPG in WoW” when it comes in the worse form possible

And covenants are part of a terrible system. You will be stuck with one covenant on your character and if you want just to have fun trying the other convenants on your character, you will have to lose your progress, your current abilities, your transmog etc.? This forum is always about “This is simply not fun” - " Blizzard I want to have fun" and yet, you have the same people defending this system when it prevents them from even trying something different (e.g. trying a different covenant to see another ability) for a couple of hours?

I am looking forward to see the meltdown once people realize how this system is horrendous. I can’t believe how many people don’t see the issue with covenants, conduits and all the other systems.

3 Likes

The thing is though we dont even see eye to eye on what the issues are. I never had a problem with farming AP for my neck to get those new traits. I had to farm the AP anyway for the neck dps and that even became more important in 9.2 because of the addition of essences despite the AZ change.

What I did have a problem with was the fact that the AZ trairs did not change based on spec chosen. You had to reforge your gear or simply farm a whole other set.

I wish people would stop pushing this “WoW is a role playing game”

In my world there are two roles, dps and healers.

The game is a PvP game now

To be fair I’m not defending the system or not, I’m stating an opinion based on reading what’s been offered, what the Alpha testers have written and some alpha gameplay. None of it’s set in stone. And it might be that some Covenants get a nerf that shouldn’t which is why we must accurately and dispassionately report what we find in beta along with documentation. Opinions won’t matter at this, what will matter is offering constructive feedback.

1 Like

No, then people will just be expected to swap powers for different content, just like now.

It is a bad way for things to work, and one way of moving past it is semi perm or permanent choices for things like this.

1 Like

Explain why it is a bad thing.

1 Like

ok, working with your complaint then. you didn’t like how the azerite armor didn’t change per spec which means there was a RESTRICTION on which powers you could choose. one you didn’t like. this means you had to go and farm multiple different pieces of azerite to play different specs.

now to covenants. the powers of covenants do not change, come with a restriction of cosmetics, gameplay (ember court vs the abomination factory), RP potential for people who still want to compete on dps, etc.

this system is horrid. the powers should be decoupled from covenants completely. the story is about how there is a drought in the shadowlands because of the jailer. it’s already temporary power so why not just have emissaries from each covenant lend power to end the drought and have the covenant system completely separate.

i forget if it was ion or john hight, but one of them said the covenants are not direct competitors like the horde and alliance. it makes no sense to limit the chance of victory just for the sake of loyalty. these factions get along and just want the drought to end. why wouldn’t they just lend the power? even if you bring up the issue of why don’t you just get all 4 powers then, that can just be passed off as us being living beings and therefore incapable of our mortal shells withstanding the power of even just 2 covenants and our soul be destroyed with even attempting to harness such power.

there is so much room to change the system but it only seems like high-end players even recognize such problems and try to do something about it.

1 Like

unless blizz gets bad feedback, yes, it is set in stone. things won’t change unless we say they are bad. blizz noticed a non-issue with people taking their time in torghast and introduced psuedo-timers. if people hadn’t gotten into an uproar, that system was set in stone. the only reason a thing will change is negative feedback.

1 Like

The covenants affect your gameplay modes not your spec play. It may seem pedantic but I’m ok with it.

Have you met this game’s community?

Can you actually explain why it is a bad thing?

I’m on the side of the fence that promotes player agency and freedom of choice. A literal restriction goes against that. What about you?

2 Likes

please, tell me how flayed shot (https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/spell=324149/flayed-shot) doesn’t affect my spec play? it adds another button to my rotation, it allows me to use kill shot somewhat randomly during fights, and it takes focus which means i have to properly manage my resources to use it on cooldown.

what you just said makes no sense.

2 Likes

Because players will be forced, by other players, to play a certain way.

And if it doesnt make you do more dps in the content you want you’re not gonna take it regardless of how it changes your rotation.