Covenant buffs in keys are just as toxic as expected

Nothing beats getting removed from keys for not being the right covenant. Meaningful choices that the player makes for themselves right?

4 Likes

If the group note says, “venth” they deserved the boot.

4 Likes

What’s toxic about wanting the best chance for success? They didn’t berate or question your abilities as a player. They removed you because they wanted to certain buff. It’s no different than looking for lust.

7 Likes

what that leader did is not “toxic”. It’s just pug culture - these covenant buffs are mandatory for keys, so a well-thought out team gives a pug a better chance at success.

if he started berating you afterwards or something, then that would be what I consider toxic.

i’ve been removed from groups for similarly ranked shamans/paladins that have signed up for groups I’m in. I think when one gets a better understanding of meta’s and how they affect the season, you’ll be a lot more lax about rejection/removal from some of these pug’s. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

well yes, you being removed is meaningful to you - that’s why you’re here making this post.

What’s toxic is that these buffs exist at all. At the very least, being exalted with a particular covenant should let you use their dungeon tools.

3 Likes

Is it annoying or inconvenient? Sure.

Is it “toxic”? Don’t think so.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be better to whisper the person first or put requirements in the group description as opposed to invite and kick? I don’t do Mythics, so I’m genuinely curious why this method was used in general.

2 Likes

you posted the wrong screenshot I think. nothing toxic there. maybe a bit rude to boot you without “sorry, looking for venthyr”… unless that was in the group description and you neglected to mention it here

If the group note requests a specific covenant and you are not that covenant, you deserve to be kicked once that comes to light.

It has nothing to do with “elitism” and everything to do with “we’re running Halls and want to tame gargoyles, our first 4 people are not Venthyr and can’t tame gargoyles, we need our 5th to be Venthyr so they can tame gargoyles for us”. Not hard to understand.

4 Likes

If you’re doing keys than you pretty much need to expect that dungeons have mandatory covenants.

1 Like

I can’t blame the leader. In +14 Hoa we did not have venthyr and it was difficult to deal with gargoyles, we barely made it in time 30 seconds left end of dungeon, if we were buffed with gargoyles instead of fighting them we could have a bit more time for failures.

1 Like

The most annoying part about the whole covenant thing is that it makes zero sense in the game world. All these covenants are allies with each-other and actively working together against the jailer.

“Oh you left us to go work with our ally for a week? The same allies that you do world quests with on a daily basis? Well that means you betrayed us and must now do two weeks of errands before we’ll let you back in!”

Like… wut?

1 Like

Even better, they literally have us use their weapons/powers/whatever literally everywhere else. Even while levelling.

1 Like

+12 Sanguine Depths, there were 2 other people in the group besides me (both DPS) upon joining. There was no note, no comments, no additions just “+12” in the title.

I signed up, they asked if I was venthyr, I said no and was promptly removed. I messaged the group lead and said “wait what?” and he said “Sorry x|” then put me on ignore immediately after.

I don’t recall 12’s being “giga meta” range where my covenant and/or the required buffs matter enough to be viable, plus there was an open DPS slot + tank role open that all could have been filled by a Venthyr.

2 Likes

they’re not for high end players…but it looks like that’s your “level” of play atm, so if players like you and others in your skill rating want to climb, you absolutely need to set yourself up for the best success in the run. Meaning, yes, covenant buffs matter in +12’s. especially on Tyrannical weeks like this one, and especially in a dungeon like SD.

2 Likes

I told my old key buddy that I pushed mid-high 20’s with last expansion that he wasn’t high enough io to join my 16 key the other day - as a joke obviously. He retorted with “imagine using a hypothetical number to justify someones overall skill rating when they’ve played casually at higher than your peak”.

I feel like this is very relevant right now.

2 Likes

well, your friend is right. Rating doesn’t necessarily reflect your “player skill” level per se, but that’s not what people look at rating for. your skill rating tells another story - mainly about your experience.

That’s why a player’s bfa or legion experience is irrelevant in today’s season. I think people will look at your season 1 score to gauge how experienced you are with the current dungeons, and that’s about as far back as people will dig.

SD has one of the most lenient timers of any of the dungeons. Having a Venthyr is way more important in Halls where Gargoyle DPS is actually required to make the timer.

3 Likes

I disagree. I’ve been doing CM content since WoD, which is arguably about as difficult as 3 chesting 15’s in current content. Player skill is player skill, my ability to play my class and this game are not dependent purely on dungeon mechanics - which can be learned in less than a single run.

If you threw me into a 20 key right now with a decent group, I could heal them without much effort assuming I knew how the damage would play out and what CDs to use - which I do.

Just because I haven’t “chested a 20 in current content” doesn’t mean I’m suddenly incapable of doing it - the same as how you’ve barely achieved AoTC or KSM for an expansion in total, I’m sure you could easily get KSM next patch or AOTC if given the opportunity to play with like-minded players.

Score means nothing outside of how many dungeons you’ve done at a certain level, or how much money you’ve spent on being boosted.

1 Like