Covenant abilities, balance and all that

I think that something that amplifies all my hots is going to be better than 1 rejuv and then 15 regrowths in 4 seconds absolutely yes. 14 of those regrowths will probably be overhealing. In aoe, a hot on one target vs 16 rejuvs into a tranq into WG into flourish will be insane. Yes that is absolutely going to be a 10% difference in healing. One is useless in m+, one is useless in raids

If it matters to you that much, just pick the covenant with the strongest ability for you then. Covenant be damned. Obviously cutting edge dps/hps are what you really care about.

I don’t want the covenants to all feel homogeneous and the same. I want them to feel and play different .

LOL HALF OF ONE PERCENT HAHAHAHAHHAA you have far too much faith in Blizzard my friend. I would say the lucky classes will be 2-3% and the soulsbinds will make the gap bigger not smaller 4head

2 Likes

Can’t man! I play multiple spec and do more than one form of content. Venthyr might be bis for raids but the second I get stunned in PvP I will get chunked for 30% of my hp. I’m interested on your take here - in arena should I take the ability off my bars or just not do any arena?

2 Likes

Take the ability off your bar. Right now you don’t have any covenant abilities. If someone has something useful from another covenant for arenas then I guess they may have a small up on you. Just like you would have an up on them in raids.

You can’t expect to have every ability in the game given to you so you can be great at everything.

2 Likes

It’s weird that you are locked out of using abilities from different Covenants (and changing them is so hard) if the Covenants themselves aren’t locked out of working with other Covenants.

Especially when the lore shows the Covenants at war with each other.

1 Like

Excuse me? That’s your solution? That may be the most obtuse thing I’ve ever heard… someone who had a different ability on their bars would have a MASSIVE advantage… these covenant abilities are just talents with a different name. They’re not some class defining thing that should be sacred to only those who chose their covenant correctly. It sucks that you’re not particularly good at the game, but don’t inflict mediocrity on others just because you yourself don’t care. Because that’s what you’re doing. If you want to be a night fae with a night fae ability then do you don’t make me have a far worse time for no apparent reason. *

You can’t expect to have every ability in the game given to you so you can be great at everything

I don’t. I would be losing my current ability wouldn’t I? Why would I make myself miserable in raids with a significant probability of being benched because i also enjoy m+ and PvP?

3 Likes

Wow. Your arrogance is really shining through. You don’t know me or my abilities. And yes. What your wanting is to have whatever covenant ability you want at your disposal at any time. The reason? That someone may have an ability that hurts your sorry little pride in an arena or whatever you think you’re good at.

You’re not as important as you think you are. Neither am I for that matter. This is blizzards choice and they’ll do what they want regardless of how you believe it may hurt you in some imaginary way.

2 Likes

And you feel that the primary cause of it being this close would be revolves around this single ability and not thousands of aspects of the run?

First off was everyone in your party the best dps race?

Was a single GCD messed up in the entire run?

There are so many things that go into the run trying to key off something so small and saying “that’s the reason we made it” is insane.

1 Like

Not arrogance, hyperbolic, toxic, chicken-little minded buffoonery.

There will likely be a good single target build for every covenant. And a good AoE. And a good defensive build. And some wacky world builds like “built for war”, which (to me) sounds too funny pass on even if it simmer at zero.

This blue waffle and other people like him want us to assume the worst despite the evidence to the contrary because it affirms their position. Like many poo poo posters here, he’s displaying several of the more prominent cognitive biases that plague discourse in this country. Given the tonality, the verbiage, and the syntax choices for his “points” (significantly different in structure when weighed against his trollish bickering posts),he most likely acquired his viewpoint from one of the professional provocateurs masquerading as a content provider.

It’s really not his fault, so much as the system that provides people like him a platform and affirmation to spread his uninformed malaise like an SBD in a crowded restaurant.

The best advice you can give someone is to pick the covenant that aligns with you, personally. The balancing will likely be aggressive early because they want to avoid the exact situation he’s already assuming will happen. Blizzard had on occasion gone down a design path I didn’t agree with, but they’ve never failed to deliver on a design philosophy. I trust covenants will be within single digit or sub 1% difference in dps, and the abilities will largely come down to personal taste.

Remember, the largest part of the covenant abilities isn’t even available for testing yet, even the most cynical of critics would have to caveat any opinion with the fact that they haven’t actually experienced the difference, and that their cynicism is based on a personal vendetta driven conjecture.

3 Likes

Oh come on… useless is not the same as less useful. The community has a notion of trying to distil very complex game systems into simple right wrong choices… I don’t think they are that simple.

4 Likes

AHHH this was exactly my point, your choices have consequences, choose to be better in raids and you lose out in other forms of content. Thats why its a good choice.

4 Likes

I do know though. If you’re advocating for being able to not swap between abilities, you haven’t done any hard content, ever, that’s just a fact. It’s not arrogance, it’s anger. You are making a statement that severely hurts my ability to prog in any content except one, and if it changed it wouldnt affect you at all.

First off was everyone in your party the best dps race

Nope we probably didn’t play perfectly. But what your suggestion is saying is to basically take off my 100 row of talent and expect to be able to do difficult content where everything matters

There will likely be a good single target build for every covenant

There won’t be. I can guarantee you right now. Blizzard can’t even manage to balance their classes correctly, you expect them to be able to balance 4 different abilities that are shared between all specs, and then a variety of soulsbinds on top of that? Show me one time in WoWs history where anything like this has been balanced. I’ll wait. Despite what you think I got my viewpoint from something called experience.

but they’ve never failed to deliver on a design philosophy

You just made your opinion irrelevant LOL… azerite!!! Heart of Azeroth!!! Legiondaries!!! How can you think that they will be within 1% when no talent, or even class is within 1% of each other?? They most definitely will not come down to personal taste

choose to be better in raids and you lose out in other forms of content

This should absolutely never be a forced choice. Picking an aoe talent in m+ is a choice with consequences. Picking your gear before the dungeon starts is a consequence.

2 Likes

Gonna be honest here, I hope they make covenant abilites just like class abilites where their just minimal in terms of DPS. Where its just the sprinkles on the cake that give that slight umph in terms of movement, healing or DPS. Right now though they seem like rather major CD’s which I think is where the problem lies right now.

1 Like

No you really don’t have to accept their BS and can just put your foot down and demand better from them. Blizzard has an extreme amount of hubris and after the disaster that is BFA I honestly do not see why.

All of the endless fake apologies just to roll out something so blatantly broken that is the core part of the expansion.

Unless you are drunk or high anyone can see how this ends. It is whack-a-mole because Blizzard wants to pretend that Raider IO and Icyveins do not exist and will pigeonhole EVERY SINGLE spec into this game into very specific Covenants or you are getting benched for the guild raid.

It is a willful ignorance of their own game and history of NEVERRRRRR being able to deliver on the promises of balance with a new system. See the genius that came up with 8.3’s current mess.

3 Likes

Here is what one of the druid abilities does: cast rejuv or regrowth 16 times over 4 seconds. I can tell you right now that it doesnt matter how bad they nerf that unless its down to like 5 instead of 16, which they wont do, it will still be an amazing raid cooldown.
Rdruid mastery means that targets take a % (for example i have 15% mast) more healing for every hot they have on them. so that means if you have lifebloom and rejuv on them they take 30% more healing.
Whats going to happen is you will press this right before big raid damage, then put efflorescence down(hots all targets who stand in it), into wild growth, into tranq(tranq gives a hot, into flourish (extends all hots by 8 seconds). So at 15% mastery the ENTIRE raid is going to be taking 60% increased healing.
One of the other ones is increase your periodic healing on the target for X seconds before jumping to another target.
They wont be minimal. One is a Massive HPS gain, the other is a tank CD.
As much as i would like for them to be optional, they wont. And these are only 2 for one class lol

3 Likes

THIS, this right here is why I really think we need to break RP somewhat given that abilitly even exists.

EDIT: I have to say though hunters seems like their going to suffer a lot. This is due to the fact that currently we have a very very powerful cleave abilitly on the table, and a very very powerful single target ability on the table too. Then a very very powerful PvP ability given we can keep shooting people through LoS. This is why I want to swap easily, becuase their not balanced well at all and pull very strongly currently in 3 diffrent directions. Meaning that it will limit you easily to a specific build.

1 Like

Corbenzos, I am going to attempt to reach you one last time because it really appears you are missing the point. When you interact with other people, sometimes the values they have and the things they like will be different from your own viewpoints. That doesn’t make them more or less important from yours, they are just different viewpoints and values.

When you view everyone with your own metrics (like doing hard content), you will assume your opinion matters more or somehow trumps that of your fellow gamers, it doesn’t. Life just doesn’t work that way (except in your mind), close minded people will always have justifications for why their viewpoints are the “right ones” and any contrary opinions must be shouted down.

What changes by letting abilities be freely interchangeable:
For starters, your choices have far less impact on your character, the feeling (yes I know you are a results driven person and feeling is probably a trigger word for you but the feeling) of playing your character becomes much less unique. The immersion is broken and gameplay lessened when your choices do not matter or hold weight or there is a superficial “best” path.

You might not agree with that, but other do and you just have to accept that while it is bad for you, to blizzard one sub is equivalent to another on aggregate (excluding extra purchases).

2 Likes

Nah its not that insane. It will be trash for dungeons. The increase hots on one target will be insane for dungeons.
Dungeon example: single target is taking heavy dmg - cast the 16 spells - one rejuv, on regrowth heals them to full- the next ten overheal - he takes a tick of damage - regrowth to full - and the remaining regrowths are wasted.
Or: target is taking heavy ST dmg - lifebloom, rejuv, efflo, cenarion ward - cast increase to hots - swap catform to dps the mobs - friend gets healed through the heavy dmg.

There is just now way to look at these scenarios and think that blizzard will be able to balance these even remotely

1 Like

Yeah I know, like they all pull in completly diffrent directions its ridiclous. Their not small time abilites but major CD’s that pull well in specific scnarios that will affect endgame and high keys a lot. I really want to be able to swap at will becuase we both know blizz will not balance this well and it will be a mess trying to play around it.

2 Likes