Covenant abilities (as of 4/6/20)

Scouring Tithe

Deal Arcane damage instantly and additional Arcane damage over time. If the enemy dies while affected by Scouring Tithe , you generate additional Soul Shards . If they survive, Scouring Tithe 's cooldown is refreshed.

Impending Catastrophe

Call forth a cloud of chaotic anima that travels to the target enemy, dealing Shadow damage to enemies within their path. When the anima reaches the target it explodes, inflicting a random Curse and dealing Shadow damage to all nearby enemies.

Decimating Bolt

Hurl a bolt of shadow magic at your target, dealing Shadow damage and increasing the damage of your next Incinerates , Drain Souls , or Shadow Bolts .

Decimation Bolt’s damage, and the bonus to Incinerate, Drain Soul, or Shadow Bolt both increase as your target’s health decreases.

2 Likes

This is going to be very interesting, when it drops.

" Decimating Bolt

Hurl a bolt of shadow magic at your target, dealing Shadow damage and increasing the damage of your next Incinerates , Drain Souls , or Shadow Bolts .

Decimation Bolt’s damage, and the bonus to Incinerate, Drain Soul, or Shadow Bolt both increase as your target’s health decreases."

Simple but powerful !

if it is something % based or with solid scaling it will likely be the default choice for everyone for raiding. execute is very very very strong in a progression setting.

Looking at the wording… it specifically mentions incinerate, drain soul and shadow bolt… so I’m wondering if this means Drain Soul will become afflictions nuke again and shadow bolt will go back to being demo only?

I may be reading too much into it but I think those who love drain life over SB will be happy (for afflic obviously)

this was mentioned in lock discord, and i had a very similar thought as well. it is hard to tell SLIGHTLY due to the fact that they might be trying to clarify early on it applies to both spells for affliction

noone is gonna have a clue until alpha/beta or it releases…it could all look great on paper and be terrible

everyone thought blood dk’s were gonna make some huge comeback this season in M+ before 8.3 was released and im pretty sure they are the worst tank again this season

1 Like

might be bear, but i definitely see your point and will agree . but where’s the fun in being realistic at this point in time, come beta when we’re actually planning things out then 100%, right now im just gonna enjoy the insanity that seems to be some of these abilities.

1 Like

its always fun to theorycraft and hope for the best!! prepare for the worst…maybe locks will become meta again in shadowlands…i was hoping for some patch buffing our aoe/cleave dmg before then but i highly doubt it

1 Like

I thought about that too. Tho personally I’m hoping afflic just gets drain life. That’s my personal preference, I respect others enjoying the SB gameplay as well

Mid WOD Afflic was nice, with Soul Swap and Soul Drain. I really enjoyed that play style. Wait Soul Drain is still a spell. RIP Soul Swap…
https://www.wowhead.com/spell=86121/soul-swap

Soul swap was nice when I played it in mop (took a break in WoD)

1 Like

I was hopeful of Shadowlands since BlizzCon. I was more hopeful for the expansion after reading these abilities. Hopefuly Alpha/Beta/Live doesn’t crush those dreams of a well-rounded Warlock class again.

So basically decimating bolt boosts all specs’ fillers/resource generators.

I was kinda hoping for a cool ability like summon a pit lord or something.

3 Likes

im trying not to be a bandwagon player and just jump from class to class based on balance issues…i mainly play the game for M+ dungeons so its been pretty hard for me to stick with warlock…i’m gonna tough it out tho…

i really don’t even care if we arent top tier next patch but I’d like us to atleast be in the middle…we are at the bottom at the moment…im talking strictly about mythic dungeons, which i believe is the main thing in this game anymore tho…you’d think blizz would balance it around keys more than raids?

i might be wrong about that but I think keystone dungeons has more activity going on than nyalotha…anyone know?

Very interested in what the NF one will be. I reslly enjoy the space both Scouring Tithe and Decimating Bolt fill.

I’m thinking it is still raids just due to the amount of time that goes into design as well as those being the centerpiece of WoW for 15 years. i don’t think raid will ever not be the center of attention when it comes to end game in blizz’s eyes. M+ has a ton of activity and hype, i absolutely love it even tho im not super high end like i am with raiding, but it is still really new in the grand scheme of things.