Council's CM's and toxicity thread

What Blizzard needs to do, is not let the public/gamers know at the exact time they are watching. The toxic ones are going to do exactly what they did to the gm’s they knew were there. That is sad. If more people got in trouble for the toxic behavior in real time, word of mouth would get around fast and the baddies would leave for the free games that allow the toxic behavior.
Then there would be a much less toxic environment, especially in trade chat. It really hurts my heart to see a new player ask a legitimate question in TC and end up getting torn up and told to “get gud” among other horrible things. Sadly, some of them end up leaving and quitting. That does not mean they need to “get gud.”
It means why should someone especially during this covid, and other garbage going on in the world want to try to relax and play a game like WoW? A new person is having fun, and end up seeing this awful texting in TC, or they run into places like Goldshire in Moonguard and are shocked to see what is being said or done there.
I have whispered some of them and helped them out with their questions. When I had a lot of gold at one time, I would see a newbie playing, and I would give them some gold to help them out.
GM’s have great power. It was always loads of fun they would show up somewhere and have fun engaging with the players.
It was one of my favorite things to see in WoW.
Those were the days for sure, and it was impressive to everyone who saw the power they have, and they should have that power.
The right click option is great and to receive genuinely nice emails from gm’s after reporting bots, perverted names, and other things, shows they are there paying attention, and it is well worth my time to stop and report something bad.
It is great that they can go back and review the report and see what occurred.
The Gm’s deserve applause for everything they do. A lot of the times it needs to be witnessed firsthand in real time.
When I had the stalker a decade ago, I was asked to twitch stream him. I had never been on Twitch before, but I found out how to do it, and there is no game I play that I do not twitch now.
I twitch streamed him and busted him numerous times. I let them see the streams. Finally, he got disciplined, and suddenly disappeared. Blizzard takes that stuff very seriously.

opens thread

1 Like

OP, if you are running into people who are violating the ToS, just report them and move on.

In an ideal world, this is all that needs to be done - and indeed that should be our aim. The problem is that reports aren’t currently particularly effective at curbing this sort of behaviour, which leads to people constantly filing reports all the time with no tangible effect - and when there’s no tangible effect, people stop reporting because it’s a waste of time.

1 Like

Exactly the point I was focusing around. Especially because players have a neglectful experience like that once and remember it for YEARS!

I always report and I’ve seen more effective and less effective cs experiences throughout the game’s history shift around, but 90% of the time i suggest someone report it’s “i did that once nothing happened”.

That’s not acceptable, especially on RP servers where these things are much bigger social.and community implication factors. Blizz needs to do better supporting these server types, SOMEHOW.

It is never a waste of time because when you report them two things happen:

1. They go on ignore, so they can no longer communicate with you
  2. You have put Blizzard on notice that there is a player violating their ToS and that they need to act on it.

Now, with that said, most often the reason it is not acted on is probably because the person who made the report is not 100% innocent themselves. They either continued to respond to the person, they said things they shouldn’t have, or they acted in some manner that they should not have.

I have had to deal with bullies and jerks in WoW, and 100% of the time I have reported them, I have received a message back from Blizzard saying that they took appropriate action, and thanking me for reporting it. 100% of the time, I never responded to the jerk or interacted with them in any manner after they did whatever they did to violate the ToS.

I do agree with you that WoW has a very toxic community. Blizzard helped create by moving away from being realm specific to being cross-realm. They furthered the issue by grouping realms together in shards to make the world feel more populated. Doing this meant the toxic element could be as toxic as they wanted to people because it would not harm their personal social aspect of the game (i.e. they’d never find themselves grouped with the same people in multiple random instances).

Yes, but giving them a notice only actually leads to something if they act on it, which they often don’t do.

Someone reporting a crime also being a criminal doesn’t mean the criminals that were reported get to go free. If you’re not innocent in the matter when you report someone, and Blizzard does not take action against the person you reported even if they did break the CoC, something is wrong with the system. If anything, both people should be taken action against if they are both doing it.

If this was the universal experience, I’m sure there wouldn’t really be complaints about it, but it isn’t. I’m on EU servers, and luckily I don’t use the report function all that often, but I have never actually gotten a message back that says actions were taken against whomever I reported - even if they were clearly in the wrong.

1 Like

All of this. And NA servers have a lot more problems and reports that should be made.

I’ve had great and terrible experiences with Blizz CS- and they should be consistently great.

You ever read their trp profiles? they are not just standing there in silence. there really are so many different types of people in this world.

Irrelevant. Those can be reported if there’s an issue and a tooltip isn’t harassing anyone.

> “The standout issue comes from Goldshire, which on many RP realms (such as Argent Dawn EU) is filled with people with explicit profiles. I have personally known many people who have been exposed to this subculture while underage, and some who have been seriously harmed by it.”

not sure if i linked this right. but it is relevant.

Only for the duration of your login, and only for that specific character. That also only works in games, and doesn’t prevent them from annoying you in other ways besides using chat. It also doesn’t prevent them from saying things about you to others or in public chats.

They don’t look at singular reports 99.99% of the time anymore.

False, it’s because GMs don’t actually look into low-threshold reports and go through their tickets by some tier system.

Then both should be acted upon, instead of ignoring both either way in this scenario.

Considering the in-game popups have only recently started, that’s a clear lie or you made a ticket and got a copy-paste response without actually knowing if anything was done.

Wrong, see classic. Has nothing to do with ‘realm specific’ and has to do with behavior going unchecked most of the time and online behavior changing in general.

1 Like

If you are violating the ToS then Blizzard is not going to do anything. That’s the reality of things. you’re using an apple/orange arguement.

In my experience, when someone is being rude/mean/bully/or whatever, people respond in kind. If you do that and then report them, nothing is going to be done because you are also violating the ToS. I can only provide you with my experiences with the reporting system. The bottom line is the fact that you have the option of muting the person if they are annoying you. Either you use it or you don’t. It is up to you.

It’s not really an apples and oranges argument, because it’s the same thing. If you break a rule, then report someone else breaking a rule, and the authorities find out that you have been breaking the rule as well, it does not cancel out the other person’s rulebreaking. Since both parties have broken the rules, both parties are at fault.

2 Likes

Right, but at that point, you’re having a conversation. Just set people like that to ignore. Nothing good can out of arguing with people like that.

And Blizzard is not going to help people who also violate their ToS. Clean hands are needed.

But if they do not take action, they are helping people who violate the ToS by allowing them to keep doing it. It’s also wrong to consider it ‘helping’ either of the parties involved, because enforcing the CoC and the ToS is already their job, and it is in their best interest to keep doing just that.

2 Likes

If both parties are violating ToS, they consider it a wash.

That is not totally true.

While it is best not to engage in mutual combat, that does not mean Blizz won’t do anything in egregious cases.

In cases where two people bicker for 30 mins then both report each other that can result in both being thrown out OR both getting a Silence. It just depends on what the GM sees.

There is no blanket rule that says if you engage that the other person gets away with it.

Again, that is not true. Mutual combat may impact punishment, but it does not mean nothing happens.

If you wish more clarification you can post on the Customer Support forum. That serves as an Information Desk to answer questions about things like policies.

2 Likes

I don’t need any clarification at all. I do not have an issue with toxic players nor do I have an issue with the reporting system as it is. As I stated in a previous post, 100% of the time I’ve reported people, blizzard has sent me a message letting me know that they were dealing with the issue. :woman_shrugging: