Could WoW's graphics be updated?

Something like this (although nice) is NEVER going to happen within WoW. This is because that would mean a full engine overhaul that would affect every aspect of the open world, which would be way to expensive and not feasible for the current game. I would not complain though if they made a WoW 2 in say a few years rocking a more realistic engine like Unreal Engine.

2 Likes

I would be more inclined to quests and explore if the graphics were like that demo.

My computer could handle it. I’m sure a bunch of other peoples computers could handle it as well. I bet people would invest in upgrading their computers to play in a WoW environment like that.

Designate some servers for upgraded graphics play?

All pipe dreams though. It will stay as is.

2 Likes

I actually don’t like those graphics. Wow is too unique to be redone in unreal engine.

2 Likes

You can mod out WoW to play like it’s on a console, works quite nicely. Hardest part would be typing, and you can use a headset to fix that.
I’m sure there’s some parts that might take a little work to get just right though, but I’m okay with more players =D

Realistic graphics aren’t something that’s associated with Warcraft.
If they were something like in the cinematics, then sure, but it needs that stylization.

The weird thing with Blizzards graphics is this

+They want their games to run on even the most garbage computers. So more people are playing
+They have this cartooney style which isn’t a bad thing. I quite like it. But it means realistic stuff like this just wouldn’t really work

2 Likes

That looks fine, but it wouldn’t work with the size of WoW. You’re watching a vid with no moving entities so the load with them would be terrible, and even without them the video still shows some chop.

I’m sure it could be.

The question to be asked is what do the players want…pretty pictures or game mechanic balanced? Speaking for myself only I’d like to see the mechanics balanced.

1 Like

I assumed that the program used to create the vid was like a graphics program similar to, say, Photoshop (except for something you could make this sort of vid with). As I say, Im not really knowledgeable about stuff but I presume that the software used to make a gaming environment is tailored to be a lot less ‘greedy’ than something used to make what is basically a piece of artwork.

If you take a look at ESO (just google ESO stream on youtube you will find plenty of ingame vids) you can see that they have a very attractive visual style and I play it quite fluidly on this machine, which I also play WoW on. If Zenimax can do it for ESO, then I presume Blizzard could as well.

Whether or not WoW could be upgraded to this system is another thing (and mostly what I was curious about). If it, indeed, couldn’t manage that then I guess the only way it could would be to create a new game.

1 Like

Wildstar was extremely badly optimized through alpha beta and launch. You’d notice that they tried to use ‘addon settings’ to buff up their UI, but it was the whole source of the lag from all the leaks.
They got ambitious with trying to encourage addon implementation and messed it up.

How many games use unreal engine? And how do their subs look. That is my reply to “people with old hardware would quit”.

Why not just have an option in-game for 4k mode? Then the toasters can play and high end gaming pcs can just switch it on. Boom there ya go, it’s not rocket science.

2 Likes

They are not. Stop.

2 Likes

Yup exactly! It’s one of the reasons this game stands out from others and many people enjoy that.

1 Like

I agree gunny. If all you look at is WOW it’s an increase, meanwhile in new games …
A parallel would be EQ, which has also improved its graphics, but it like WOW can only do so much

OTOH - i still like atari tanks - so what’s in a pixel

ever since bfa hit, the game’s already been a lot less stable. let’s just keep textures and models the same from now on

If they ever do a warcraft 2, it should be with more realistic graphics and skill based action combat.

Yes the graphics could easily be made to look like that.

To those saying it can’t for various reasons:

I’m an IT guy. I’m also a Developer (Though not for blizzard)

Any computer that was built in the last 5 years is better then an xbox 360. If your computer is older then this, you wouldn’t be able to connect to the world of warcraft website because your computer would lack required code needed to process the new internet protocols. Unless your probably running windows 7, which can’t play WoW anymore anyway. (As any motherboard newer then 7 years old can’t even boot it. without you having some serious IT skills and knowing exactly what to do). And if you have those skills your computer is newer then 7 years…

In addition, WoW losses players because 90% of the game is pointless, Players today want to be able to play the whole game and it have meaning even at level 500… They want open worlds and sandboxes. Not games on rails.

So yea you might loose 10 people because you update the graphics a bit… Who cares? You’d gain a Million if youd fix the “Empty Space” and youd gain 100k+ if youd update the graphics.

Games suck these days people don’t care about new and fresh… People are desperate, they want GOOD LOOKING, and IMMERSIVE gameplay. WoW is neither.

But it could be with a few tweaks.

TLDR

Any computer being used to run WoW in its current rendition is better then an Xbox 360. An xbox 360 will run graphics similar to Skyrim which are FAR Superior to WoW. So upgrading the graphics to the videos quality would have 0 effect on the player base other then to possibly increase it. More people like Good looking, then Cartoony. Just the way it is. Besides wow has a mariod of other issues because it wont change its game play to stay with the times (Open world, Sandbox Earlier zones having a purpose instead of being wasted empty space at macx level etc) , as mentioned above.

PS.

Blizz could overhaul the entirety of the game in 1 year if they really wanted to. It’s not a difficult code to master. And for the most part could easily be slapped onto about any new engine on the market. Unreal or Unity would be best.

So a year in development to restructure the game so at max level all zones have a purpose (Like Archeage), and 1 to 5 months to reslapp the code on a brand new engine. Boom… World of warcraft 2, Live action combat, better graphics, Imerssive Open sandbox world.

Would make 100s of Millions.

Blizz is just lazy, just like all the other AAA studios that would rather Milk games to death, rather then invest in them.

It’s why CCPs EvE online is still over a Million strong, and growing after 20 years. Unlike WoW, which is less then 600k at last I checked from over 10 million in less then 6 years.

2 Likes

Not only that, there is a certain charm to the cartoon graphics of WoW and it makes it stand out against competitors like FFXIV. Said graphics have been a thing since Warcraft II and I see no reason to change that staple of the franchise now.

If WoW could just do more Cross Over / Fun Events, like what FFXIV is doing with NEIR, it would continue to be competitive for years to come (Korrak’s Revenge was a GREAT start though!). They need to get the writing however consolidated and less all over the place, as it was with BFA though. This is why I think merging Alliance and Horde is the right call now.

Worked in the past, but not so well in the present.

Omg the video is awesome!!
But wouldn’t it make WoW like 50 GB or sth?
I prefer that graphics but okay with current graphics. Want to see Anduin’s face in advanced graphic, though. X)

Wow is already over 50gbs. As I said though most of it is unused wasted space. (Because no reason to go back to previous content once your at max level). Solo Deathwing anyone?

The actual game most people play is like maybe 10gb. Especially with the character booster. Which comes free with purchase.